The: "Can we not do this anymore?" 2024 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

• 2 weeks later...

Another week and another drop of 2 mocks. An interesting tidbit from Law is there are an assumed 11 players that are a tier above the others we pick 11th so I guess that's good 🤷‍♂️ also "I’ve had national cross-checkers, scouting directors, and even a GM comment to me on what a mess the draft is after the first echelon of players is off the board."

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2024-mock-draft-mid-may

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5490480/2024/05/15/mlb-mock-draft-2024-travis-bazzana-charlie-condon/

Pipeline: Yesavage
Athletic: Rainer

11. Detroit Tigers: Bryce Rainer, SS, Harvard-Westlake (Studio City, Calif.)

There’s a dashed line of sorts between the top-11 players in the class and everyone else, not a huge dropoff but enough that I’m assuming the Tigers will just take whichever guy is left in that group rather than doing a deal with someone else.

Edited by LongLiveMaroth

But also...

Someone in the top 10 will reach for a guy who isn't.

No guarantees, but it always seems to happen.

And if it does, we'll have a choice between the 11th guy and maybe 1 or 2 others in the top-11 where there's that "huge" drop off after the 11 top guys. I'm not certain which 2 (or 3) guys I want to be available at 11 if that were to happen...

6 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Ive seen some mocks that have us taking college OF Honeycutt from NC.  He's got a nice collection of tools including 60 power and speed...but I don't think a 28% k rate will fly with the Tigers current mgmnt.

Rainer would be nice if he's still there.  

I like the idea of drafting up the middle if the choices aren't too much of a reach.  SS, CF, SP, C.

• Like 2