The: "Can we not do this anymore?" 2024 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

They never got to the logistics stage that I saw, but I believe the general idea was that teams would fly STL to LA and back, and take the train otherwise. The flight would take ten or so hours and there would have been multiple stops along the way, and any team going to LA would have to play in STL on the way there and/or back. It would have been a complete mess to both figure out and execute.

Really - I don't know how it could have worked with the pre-war aircraft available. The post war piston craft based on the development of heavy bombers like the Constellation and DC-6 could fly cross country non-stop, which is no doubt what got teams thinking more seriously about moving by the 50's.

Another example of the primary mover of history being technology, even though most historians largely ignore technology when they write their accounts.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Really - I don't know how it could have worked with the pre-war aircraft available. The post war piston craft based on the development of heavy bombers like the Constellation and DC-6 could fly cross country non-stop, which is no doubt what got teams thinking more seriously about moving by the 50's.

Another example of the primary mover of history being technology, even though most historians largely ignore technology when they write their accounts.

I don’t know either. It wasn’t a done deal it would have been approved because there was opposition from other owners, in part because of the travel issues. But had it been approved, it would have been a bear to manage, I imagine. 

• 3 weeks later...

12 games to go and we're tied for the 8th spot (8-to-10th tied).

Unless there's a big change in the last 12, we're finishing in the top 10, pending whatever happens in the lottery...

That, and the crapload of kids coming up in the next two years gives me some hope that the Tigers can build something both "NOW" (2024-ish) and for some time in the future that gets this team out of picking in the top 10 for awhile, and hopefully into the playoffs on an annual basis. Starting next year for us dreamers...

This team still has to sustain any future success with Draft & Develop though...

So here's also hoping that Harris is the right guy to build a sustainable model for the Detroit Tigers...

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

12 games to go and we're tied for the 8th spot (8-to-10th tied).

Unless there's a big change in the last 12, we're finishing in the top 10, pending whatever happens in the lottery...

That, and the crapload of kids coming up in the next two years gives me some hope that the Tigers can build something both "NOW" (2024-ish) and for some time in the future that gets this team out of picking in the top 10 for awhile, and hopefully into the playoffs on an annual basis. Starting next year for us dreamers...

This team still has to sustain any future success with Draft & Develop though...

So here's also hoping that Harris is the right guy to build a sustainable model for the Detroit Tigers...

yes--we should not look at next season as part of a rebuild.  Interestingly, with improvements this season, and returns from injury, we should have a very good core for next season to build around (Greene, Tork, Carpenter, Rogers, Skubal, Mize, Manning, Foley, Lange).  Optimism for continued development from guys like Brieske, Gipson-Long, Faedo, Holton, Wentz and Meadows.  Promotions for Keith and Malloy, with the possibility that we could see at some point players from this group: Madden, Flores, Hurter, Kreidler, Dingler, Jung, Jobe and Mattison.

Make an addition or two via free agency.  A 86-88 win season is within reach.  Given the  state of the AL Central, we should capitalize on the current talent vacuum in the division and set our sights on a postseason berth.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Where did we finish, 11th, tied with Boston...?

Does the coin flip come before the lottery or afterwards?

And: coin flip, or something more specific like divisional record or some such...?

Worse record than Boston last year, so Tigers have better odds in the first round, and a higher pick in the rest of the rounds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 9:50 PM, Tiger337 said:

I would say containing costs is #1 (which is always the case with everything owners do) and getting a little more parity is secondary.  Of course, parity is also indirectly worth money to the majority of owners, although I think that becomes less important, the more they expand playoffs.  

no.  the purpose of the draft was to disburse talent to struggling franchises.  the leagues contain more than just the most successful teams in the biggest markets.

remember the nba and nfl drafts when the #1 picks would come into the league making more money than anyone else at their positions? CHANGES were made to control costs and agreed to by the unions.  but the PURPOSE was to distribute talent to other franchises besides the usual suspects.

and to create drama and spectacle which increases interest in the leagues in the offseason.

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

no.  the purpose of the draft was to disburse talent to struggling franchises.  the leagues contain more than just the most successful teams in the biggest markets.

remember the nba and nfl drafts when the #1 picks would come into the league making more money than anyone else at their positions? CHANGES were made to control costs and agreed to by the unions.  but the PURPOSE was to distribute talent to other franchises besides the usual suspects.

and to create drama and spectacle which increases interest in the leagues in the offseason.

Has the distribution of talent objectively changed?  There is still a huge difference between the haves and have nots each year.  Every year, a bunch of teams loses more than 100 games.  They've got almost half the teams in the playoffs every year and a quarter of the teams are still done by the all-star break. 

The drama off the MLB draft is mostly fabricated because it usually takes years for the players to make it, if they make it all.  It's not like the NBA and NFL.  

MLB is raking in the dough though, so it's all good.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Has the distribution of talent objectively changed?  There is still a huge difference between the haves and have nots each year.  Every year, a bunch of teams loses more than 100 games.  They've got almost half the teams in the playoffs every year and a quarter of the teams are still done by the all-star break. 

The drama off the MLB draft is mostly fabricated because it usually takes years for the players to make it, if they make it all.  It's not like the NBA and NFL.  

MLB is raking in the dough though, so it's all good.  

none of that has any relevance to your initial statement on the purpose of the draft.  good organizations acquire and develop talent, especially in baseball where one player matter the least of any of the four major sports.

mlb is making money??????  THE HORROR!  they should only make enough money to pay their employees.  that would be fair.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

none of that has any relevance to your initial statement on the purpose of the draft.  good organizations acquire and develop talent, especially in baseball where one player matter the least of any of the four major sports.

mlb is making money??????  THE HORROR!  they should only make enough money to pay their employees.  that would be fair.

Is there evidence that baseball is now more competitive than it was before?  Has the variance of win totals decreased for example?   

I don't care if the owners make money or not, but they fall all over themselves spending hundreds of millions on free agents.  Good thing they suppressed the salaries of the younger players with the draft.  

Edited by Tiger337

29 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Is there evidence that baseball is now more competitive than it was before?  Has the variance of win totals decreased for example?   

I don't care if the owners make money or not, but they fall all over themselves spending hundreds of millions on free agents.  Good thing they suppressed the salaries of the younger players with the draft.  

your dislike of mlb's management has nothing to do with the purpose of the mlb draft.