09/07/2023 7:05pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs New York Yankees

casimir

I thought the last agreement said getaway days had to be day games.

Is this game on any national network?  Otherwise I think the home team sets the game times.  Most orgs play nice and set day games for the final game of the series but a few, like Baltmore and I guess NY prefer the higher ticket sales.

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

Is this game on any national network?  Otherwise I think the home team sets the game times.  Most orgs play nice and set day games for the final game of the series but a few, like Baltmore and I guess NY prefer the higher ticket sales.

I thought this, too.

Looking at national games, MLBN has St. Louis at Atlanta (7:20 EDT, last game of series) and Arizona at Chicago (7:40 EDT, first game of series).  St. Louis (travels to Cincinnati next) at Atlanta (stays home for the next series) might have seemed like a compelling matchup at the beginning of the season.  I don't know if/how MLBN can alter its broadcasting schedule along the way given other contracts to handle and whatnot.  Seems doubtful Detroit at New York would have been scheduled as a night game to possibly pivot to.

The other thing to consider for a national broadcast is that tonight is the kickoff to the NFL season.  So, I don't know how much that factors in, but I would think that gets more casual sport fan eyes rather than a baseball game tonight.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I remember them talking about that a few years ago, but if it's true, then the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays apparently have exceptions. I'm guessing that because they all are teams with national followings, they want to make sure they can be seen on TV.

I found articles from 2016 that referred to the 2018-2021 seasons after the CBA signed at the time.  Home team still sets times but there's rules now.

It has to be a day game if the departing team has a flight longer than 2 1/2 hours, even if they have the next day off.  Detroit to NYC is under 2 hours.

Also there cannot be a day game to start a series if the visiting team played the night before in another city (This was in response to Detroit having their "traditional Thursday" day game when, I think it was Boston that played the night before, and some bitching went on).  

In both cases It can be a mid afternoon game if they want, like 5 pm, based on some other criteria.  Doesn't have to be necessarily a "night" game.

6 hours ago, oblong said:

Is this game on any national network?  Otherwise I think the home team sets the game times.  Most orgs play nice and set day games for the final game of the series but a few, like Baltimore and I guess NY prefer the higher ticket sales.

I get YES (Yankees) Network on my cable (for local NY/NJ area...),

So I've been watching most of the Yankees/ Tigers games the last two weeks (home and away series).

But I don't think YES will be common or national...

I turn the volume way down so I don't have to listen to the Yankees broadcasters... they're not bad, and talk a bit on the Tigers but it's mostly Yankees talk so the volume stays low.

One funny moment was when Manning took the ball off his heel (not funny for us) they kept saying he took one off his ass. For about 10 minutes until they figured it out. It clearly hit his foot. They just really had a fetish for Manning's backside?

5 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

I have a ridiculous amount of 1989 baseball cards.  Thank goodness they only printed about 30 million of each player.  Can't wait to sell them all and spend all the money I get in return.

If you have about 4,000 of them that's worth around $4. 

You could get yourself a slice of pizza and a Coke with that.