09/07/2023 7:05pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs New York Yankees

casimir

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Torkelson has hit 21 HR in his last 81 games. Still needs to pull his OBP up but a 40hr/season bat at 1B ain't bad.

Check out his and Carpenter's 2nd half splits. Tork's OBP is 100 points higher than his average. His walk rate is over 11% and Carp's is less than 8%. Carpenter's BABIP is .370 and Tork's is .256. Otherwise their numbers are very similar. Tork really does seem to be unlucky on balls in play this year. That is promising for what they might be capable of next year.

8 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Shep commenting Tork has 19 HR since June 27. Most in the AL in that period. One more than Ohtani. A few guys in the NL have 21.

I remember thinking that, given the start he had, if he finished with a topline .750 OPS that would be a win... that may have been conservative!

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Torkelson has hit 21 HR in his last 81 games. Still needs to pull his OBP up but a 40hr/season bat at 1B ain't bad.

I think .235/.327/.513 for a wRC+ of 127 is quite acceptable from my first baseman, although I would hope that’s not where a 1/1 tops out at for his career.

57 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Lots of people drop out of college.

The bit in the Insane Christmas episode of The Bear where Fak and his brother are trying to convince John Mullaney about their "scheme" to sell baseball cards is so amazing.  They ask John Mullaney if he has 'access to $500' for their get rich scheme.  John Mullaney with a straight face says "do i have access to $500? of course, i'm a 43-year old adult"

9 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The bit in the Insane Christmas episode of The Bear where Fak and his brother are trying to convince John Mullaney about their "scheme" to sell baseball cards is so amazing.  They ask John Mullaney if he has 'access to $500' for their get rich scheme.  John Mullaney with a straight face says "do i have access to $500? of course, i'm a 43-year old adult"

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think .235/.327/.513 for a wRC+ of 127 is quite acceptable from my first baseman, although I would hope that’s not where a 1/1 tops out at for his career.

He's got the walk rate looking good, but he might be too greedy to become a high average hitter. That last AB last night - he K'd on 3 called strikes. To me that was him looking hard  for a third dinger instead of hitting what was pitched. Not what I would have called a very 'Cabrera-esque' approach. For Tork the hitting part is coming along nicely - where his head ends up as a hitter is another question!

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

That is Pete Alonso this year.  The question is whether this a new level for Torkelson that he can maintain or whether it's just the best part of a streaky season.  I do think there is little question he'll hit for power every year. 

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

I agree that you would want more than that out of a 1/1 but just looking back at the top 10 ranked guys (https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2020/draft/) from that draft you'd be hard-pressed to pick someone other than Tork. 

• Like 1

You get your rare Alex Rodriguez, Griffey JR. and Chipper Jones here and there but for the most part number 1 picks in baseball haven't really been world beaters so I don't think there would be anything wrong with your number 1 pick "only" having a 125-130 rc+, even at 1st base. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

I'm still pretty optimistic about Torkelson. Last night he hit 3 balls for a total of 1200 feet, walked, and then took three strikes looking for a perfect pitch to cap his night with another long ball but didn't get one.

The bat to ball skill is pretty singular. To me the biggest question is his attitude as a hitter. If all he wants to do is hit the long ball, he might limit himself to being a 40hr/800 OPS hitter - sort of along the lines of Stanton.  If he's willing to become a more tactical hitter like Miguel, I think there might be a better hitter in there.