2021 NCAA Football Thread

casimir

1 minute ago, buddha said:

1.71 million people watched the Camellia Bowl on xmas day.  it even outdrew one of the nba games.

that's why the bowls will continue to exist: americans watch football.  a lot.

So how much sales revenue can an ad put before 1.7M people generate? While that is a lot of people, the average efficiency of a TV ad is not very high and a football game is relatively expensive programming to produce. I'd wonder what the audience break even point actually is.

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So how much sales revenue can an ad put before 1.7M people generate? While that is a lot of people, the average efficiency of a TV ad is not very high and a football game is relatively expensive programming to produce. I'd wonder what the audience break even point actually is.

Liberty Mutual ads are omnipresent and that has resulted only in me hating Liberty Mutual. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

1.71 million people watched the Camellia Bowl on xmas day.  it even outdrew one of the nba games.

that's why the bowls will continue to exist: americans watch football.  a lot.

We don’t need this bowl system in order to have college football on TV during the holidays.   There are much better ways to construct a postseason without being beholden to the shell games of these shady bowl executives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

We don’t need this bowl system in order to have college football on TV during the holidays.   There are much better ways to construct a postseason without being beholden to the shell games of these shady bowl executives.

I think it'd be difficult to have a postseason structed such that there is football every day.  And since ESPN is driving college football and has inventory to push, they're going to want the current set up of college football darn near every day.

39 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Too many ideas to share but I think Dukes Mayo should have a tie in with every bowl where the winning coach gets a mayo bath.   

That reminds me of the David Bowie Lego cartoon where his grasping, money grubbing (as portrayed) wife wanted his Aladdin Sane character to have pepsi ooze from his neck so they could get sponsorship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, casimir said:

I think it'd be difficult to have a postseason structed such that there is football every day.  And since ESPN is driving college football and has inventory to push, they're going to want the current set up of college football darn near every day.

exactly.

its not that the system benefits "corrupt sleazy bowl reps" - which is surely does - its that the current system fills the networks' need for constant content.  they get ratings.  they get ad dollars.  they get inventory.  the bowl system makes money for the main players involved.  there really isnt a reason to change it.

i think its outdated.  i think they should have a 16 team tournament and maybe some minor other tournaments to fill the space, but there doesnt seem to be too much of an appetite for that.

I think an expanded postseason would greatly increase revenue, not decrease. The 12-team format I'm a fan of would create eight additional games (four when you subtract the four that the additional eight would have gone to). Just their existence alone would generate tens of millions of dollars. Instead of this nearly month-long lull after the conference championships, you could have the first round games slated on 12/10 and 12/11, quarterfinals on 12/17 and 12/18, a bye weekend for Christmas, and semifinal and championship per this schedule they already have. Both of those additional weekends would be massive cash cows for the networks that picked them up.

The other bowl games wouldn't cease to exist either. They can fill in on Monday-Thursday, New Years Day, Christmas, etc., and still generate millions of views. People won't stop watching the Lights Out by 11 Bowl and the Smoke'a Bowl just there are now extra games that matter.

Here’s my idea.   2 playoffs!   

The main 16 team playoff with P5 conference champs and the top nonP5 get automatic bids.   The next 10 get selected and everybody is ranked by committee.    That’s 15 total games for ESPN to televise to settle the National Chanpion.     The next group goes into the NIT which is a little different.   No auto bids but the committee selects the 16 best remaining teams and ranks the top 4 and then does a European soccer style random pick lottery to determine the brackets.  That’s 15 more games for TV.   

The first round of each tourney could be at home campus sites or they could create something location based like a bowl.   The CFP committee can assign sponsors and locations and cut out the slimy local middle men.  That gives 30 quality games that will all be much better than the many crappy games we get now that players seem to care less and less about    

One change that has to happen and I think will start to happen very soon anyway, all games will have corporate sponsors and part of their money will go to short term NIL contracts ranging between $50 to as much as $250k that are given to select marquee players to tempt them to stay and play and not opt out.   May not be enough to sway the top guys but it would definitely have many more opting in to play.    

More great meaningful football than ever in December and January

Edited by Hongbit

10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I have seen better tackling in elementary school touch football.

The second half was bonkers with players coming up lame from cramps and injuries.  And toss on the flag football tackling. 

Tennessee should fire their coaching staff after mangling its final drive in the 4th quarter.  Absolute keystone cops BS.  3 timeouts which were not used correctly.  Going for 40 yard TD pass plays in the final minute when only a FG was necessary.

13 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think an expanded postseason would greatly increase revenue, not decrease. The 12-team format I'm a fan of would create eight additional games (four when you subtract the four that the additional eight would have gone to). Just their existence alone would generate tens of millions of dollars. Instead of this nearly month-long lull after the conference championships, you could have the first round games slated on 12/10 and 12/11, quarterfinals on 12/17 and 12/18, a bye weekend for Christmas, and semifinal and championship per this schedule they already have. Both of those additional weekends would be massive cash cows for the networks that picked them up.

The other bowl games wouldn't cease to exist either. They can fill in on Monday-Thursday, New Years Day, Christmas, etc., and still generate millions of views. People won't stop watching the Lights Out by 11 Bowl and the Smoke'a Bowl just there are now extra games that matter.

I agree, I would think there would be more money involved with playoffs replacing a majority of the bowls.  But where is the revenue going to go?  Is it going into the pockets of those that can make playoffs vs bowls decision?

And is it possible that those decision makers are trying to figure out how to do both, and get early (mid December) playoff losers into a post tourney (late December) midweek bowl to keep that segment of viewers satisfied?  I know its a stretch to think nefariously and that they might like a bag of cash over the health and safety of the student-athletes, but, it happens sometimes.

michigan got a nice recruiting class, but it's not in the same area code as ohio state, bama, etc.

if they can build on this season and get back to the playoffs, and organize their NIL money cannon, they can start to compete with the big boys on the recruiting field.  until then we'll be looking at an occasional upset of ohio state and then a beat down at the hands of the sec's best as the best we can do.

4 hours ago, buddha said:

michigan got a nice recruiting class, but it's not in the same area code as ohio state, bama, etc.

A 4 star and a 5 star WR. A 4 star and a 5 star DB. Two excellent interior DL men and one 4 star pass rusher. A top notch transfer OL man. And perhaps the best 2-way QB in Alex Orji. That's in the same area code.

You're spot on about NIL money. Teams like Bama and 0$u have been doing that kind of stuff under the table for years. Now it's legal and UM needs to take advantage of it.

20 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

A 4 star and a 5 star WR. A 4 star and a 5 star DB. Two excellent interior DL men and one 4 star pass rusher. A top notch transfer OL man. And perhaps the best 2-way QB in Alex Orji. That's in the same area code.

You're spot on about NIL money. Teams like Bama and 0$u have been doing that kind of stuff under the table for years. Now it's legal and UM needs to take advantage of it.

michigan's class is third in the big ten.  its a solid class.  it is light years behind ohio state's class.  and ohio state is likely to pick up even more 5* kids in the late recruiting period.  michigan will get one if it lands connerly, which is a big if right now.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:12 PM, buddha said:

michigan's class is third in the big ten.  its a solid class.  it is light years behind ohio state's class.

Last I saw UM's recruiting class is 9th in the country. That's not light years behind anybody. And they recruited best in areas of need, like the secondary.

Who else in the Big Ten finished ahead of us? Penn State? A team we beat on their own field?

We've got a 5 star, as does PSU. 0$u has two. But two of our 10 4 stars are on the cusp of being 5s. They have more 4s but we have more 3s.

Their 4-5 stars replace other 4-5 stars. Our 4-5 stars will replace 3 stars.

Another 12+ win season next year, and we move up even more.

We may never surpass the southern and costal teams. They have all the natural advantages. What kid wouldn't rather go to a warm climate and winning tradition? But we have narrowed the gap and are poised to narrow it further. IF we take advantage of the NIL we can do better yet.

zebras call intentional grounding on a Georgia flea flicker after a receiver gives up his route. Sure Bennet was throwing it away, but intentional grounding when you overthrow to the region where you had a receiver who stopped and when you had to throw it over a rusher? Seemed ticky tack to me.

Edited by gehringer_2