1. Georgia

2. Alabama

3. Michigan

6. Ohio State

8. Notre Dame

9. Michigan State

14. Clemson

23. Iowa

Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Purdue just missed the top 25.

In the coaches poll, top 4 still the same but Ohio State is #5 over Baylor and Michigan State is #8 over Notre Dame.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

it begins. Anyone who didn't think the NIL ruling wasn't the end of College sports as we have known them in the past wasn't paying very close attention.

It's one of those things where otherwise smart people are able to work themselves into complete reality denying pretzel logic. A dollar is literally the most fungible thing in the world. From the standpoint of the receiver, whether it comes from a University, a Booster or a corporate NIL "buyer" doesn't make a shred of difference on any practical level. College athletes are now pros - officially - period.

Edited by gehringer_2

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it begins. Anyone who didn't think the NIL ruling wasn't the end of College sports as we have known them in the past wasn't paying very close attention.

It's one of those things where otherwise smart people are able to work themselves into complete reality denying pretzel logic. A dollar is literally the most fungible thing in the world. From the standpoint of the receiver, whether it comes from a University, a Booster or a corporate NIL "buyer" doesn't make a shred of difference on any practical level. College athletes are now pros - officially - period.

unionize and come to a collective bargaining agreement that caps and regulates nils.

but the big players have no real incentive to do that yet.  maybe the bit players who get no real nil money will at some point, or the mid level schools with no ability to match the big behemoths.  but not yet.

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

unionize and come to a collective bargaining agreement that caps and regulates nils.

but the big players have no real incentive to do that yet.  maybe the bit players who get no real nil money will at some point, or the mid level schools with no ability to match the big behemoths.  but not yet.

look at the model of other pro sports. There are about 30-35 viable sports markets in the US. Thus I will predict that not more than 30-35 schools will eventually 'own' the NIL market because those markets will be the only ones that big NIL 'buyers' are ultimately interested in. The rest of the schools will be forced out of revenue sports. In my view that may turn out to be a treadmill they will find themselve happy to have been liberated from once they have a little distance from the initial shock. I have no prediction for what the 'winners' will end up looking like.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

look at the model of other pro sports. There are about 30-35 viable sports markets in the US. Thus I will predict that not more than 30-35 schools will eventually 'own' the NIL market because those markets will be the only ones that big NIL 'buyers' are ultimately interested in. The rest of the schools will be forced out of revenue sports. In my view that may turn out to be a treadmill they will find themselve happy to have been liberated from once they have a little distance from the initial shock. I have no prediction for what the 'winners' will end up looking like.

you're going to end up with the big ten and the sec.  everyone else will be in the minor leagues.

michigan needs to get their act together and start using their huge money cannon and start buying some better players.

ohio state ad proposes that college football break away from the ncaa, with its own set of rules.  

he still gives lip service to the idea of "academic requirements" which 1) ha, osu academics; and 2) i guess you have to do some sort of lip service to that and still have it mean something to be associated with the school.

i mean, $3 million for a wide receiver?  all power to you, but for old guys like me, it really takes the shine off the college game to hear stuff like that.  just make it the minor leagues and call it a day.

11 hours ago, buddha said:

michigan needs to get their act together

not likely to get any leadership out of UM until a new President is in place and even once that happens he/more likely she, is going to have to spend some period doing the happy dance with the regents to figure out what their land mines are going to be around sports. I mean it could be ironic but an Ilitch on the Regents might be motivated to push against the professionalization of another franchise in the area - it's the kind of weird wild card that could show up on the table...

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

im·plo·sion
/imˈplōZHən/

noun

1. an instance of something collapsing violently inward.
    "the star undergoes a violent implosion caused by gravity"
    • a sudden failure or collapse of an organization or system.
      "a global financial implosion"

big ten needs to stop dicking around and go to a 16 or 20 team conference.  match the sec and take it up a notch.  but it wont, because its a slow bureaucracy run by short sighted bureaucrats who want to get paid and not risk anything.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33942494/alabama-football-coach-nick-saban-says-texas-bought-every-player-questions-whether-current-nil-model-sustainable

nick saban complaining that texas a & m bought their recruiting class.

i mean, he's right, they did.  but nick saban?  from alabama?  what's next, ryan day complaining that texas a & m players dont have to go to class?

• Haha 1

NIL and the portal are the best things to ever happen to college football.   

The last 20 years have broken the sport and a shakeup was sorely needed.    Unfortunately, we had the power brokers in the SEC, BCS, and ESPN blocking any changes because they were profiting.   This current iteration of NIL and Portal is a complete mess and will have to change but it has done its job in forcing the elite to overhaul the system in the best interests of all and not just themselves.  

28 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

forcing the elite to overhaul the system in the best interests of all and not just themselves.  

My didn't we wake up on the Sunny Side of the bed today! :classic_biggrin:

I agree they are in a total mess right now, but I think the odds of the resolution of that mess being in the best interests of all are about equal to UM taking the next 9 of 10 from OSU.

Edited by gehringer_2

55 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Not all 129 FBS programs.   I think the landscape will change to about 40 or so teams that are considered major and will have an opportunity to really compete for titles

agreed. I posted this before, but I think the safest bet is to look at potential markets, and the guide there is were the pros already are. I figure one strong NCAA (or whatever they call themselves after re-org) program in each market big enough to support pro teams, and maybe a few high legacy outliers like ND.

Edited by gehringer_2