2021 NCAA Football Thread

casimir

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If I was going to be snarky I'd say I didn't specify whether I was talking about the polls or the CFP....:classic_tongue:

I am surprised CFP likes Cinci more than either poll though.

I think Notre Dame's quietly strong season is really helping Cincy, giving Cincy a high quality road win. I bet the committee sees it as the 2nd most impressive win of the year, behind Oregon over OSU.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If I was going to be snarky I'd say I didn't specify whether I was talking about the polls or the CFP....:classic_tongue:

I am surprised CFP likes Cinci more than either poll though.

I'm surprised to see Cincinnati in the top 4.  I didn't think it would happen until the last poll.

Well, since I ain’t got a dog in the fight, I want absolute chaos now.  I don’t know what that is, whether a slew of upsets is the way to it, or a one loss ND outside of the top 4, or how we get to it.

To me, this season has reminded me of 2 loss LSU beating 1 loss OSU in the BcS championship.  The final few weeks was sacked out with OSU losing late (Purdue ?) and lots of controversy about whether they really were #1 after that, but ultimately being bumped up to it because they were the last power 5 with only 1 blemish (at least per the calculations).  And it was presumed LSU was just a fill in opponent for that game.  Ted Ginn Jr ran the opening kickoff back for a touchdown, was hurt on the play, and that was the lone bright spot for OSU that day.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, the powers that be won’t be happy with a playoff if it includes a combo of Oklahoma State and Cincinnati.  It doesn’t bother me, I’d rather the top 4 teams be in there.  But, again, the power$ that be won’t be happy.

I can’t think of anyone else that would be better for their  current situation at SC than Lincoln Riley.    Clay Helton needed to be fired 3 years ago and not doing so has created a roster that lacks talent.   There are so many holes to fix the main job for any new USC coach is to take back the fertile Southern California recruiting trail.   Riley has been more successful recruiting it at OU than SC was under Helton.    SC needs to be able to flex their muscle with NIL and should now be at the forefront with Riley     They will immediately start to turn recruits both locally and nationally and should be top 5 every year again although that’s going to be a tall task for this cycle.   Definitely a great way to end one of the more disappointing Trojan seasons in history.   

Edited by Hongbit

16 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I can’t think of anyone else that would be better for their  current situation at SC than Lincoln Riley.    Clay Helton needed to be fired 3 years ago and not doing so has created a roster that lacks talent.   There are so many holes to fix the main job for any new USC coach is to take back the fertile Southern California recruiting trail.   Riley has been more successful recruiting it at OU than SC was under Helton.    SC needs to be able to flex their muscle with NIL and should now be at the forefront with Riley     They will immediately start to turn recruits both locally and nationally and should be top 5 every year again although that’s going to be a tall task for this cycle.   Definitely a great way to end one of the more disappointing Trojan seasons in history.   

It sounds like Riley is taking the coaching staff with him.  Probably going to take some recruits as well.

Bob Stoops as interim coach for the bowl game.  Just heard he has been removed from FOX' college football broadcasting.  Temporary or does he have the itch back?

Edited by casimir

Riley leaving OU after not making the B12 Championship Game is one thing.  

Kelly is literally an Oklahoma St and Bama loss away from the playoff.  Hell, it could even take just a Houston upset over Cincy    How can the head coach essentially give up on  a possible championship season with a week to go?  This goes against everything he coaches his players about commitment and sacrifice for their team goals.  

I am never one to jump on these coaches for job hopping and following the money but this is a scummy move to do right now.   No other way around it. 

Edited by Hongbit

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - to think the ND FB coach used to be maybe the most celebrated gig in US sports.  And Baton Rouge is not much of a town!

A few months The Athletic ran an article where they polled a 100 college assistants and asked them the best jobs in the country. 

Out of that top 10,  USC,ND,Oklahoma, Florida and LSU will have all become available since then. If Day were to leave for the NFL then OSU would make 6. Just a crazy time in the college football.  BTW the Michigan job ranked 11th on that list. 

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Does Notre Dame still have the resources to lure a gold digger like Meyer? I would have guessed absolutely but sometimes things change......They weren't paying Kelly all that much.

Meyer is a man of faith.  He might see it as a calling and accept a little less than expected.  And/or he’ll create another fuss in Jacksonville, get bough out, and land on his feet in South Bend.

Oh good grief, how I hate Notre Fame and Urban Meyer.  They are so made for each other.