2021 NCAA Football Thread

casimir

I know this game is so out of hand it's pointless to look at it very seriously now, but there is no way that 7th TD play should have worked. MSU had 5 guys between the post and the right corner and the OSU receiver was still on the left side of the field and Smith_N ran right past all them uncovered to catch the pass. 

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, buddha said:

he's not going anywhere so you might as well just suck it up and root for your favorite team to win.

i know how hard that will be for you.

Those who stay will be 9-3. I root for my favorite team, but I don't root for mediocrity. I'd be fine with the university keeping Harbaugh as long as they publicly admit that Michigan State and Ohio State aren't rivalry games anymore and that they don't have any intention or expectation to win those games any longer. Because if you keep Harbaugh, you'll never beat MSU or Ohio State. The most amazing stat to me, if Harbaugh stays here as long as idol Bo did he'd be on track to be 0-21 against Ohio State and 0-16 against MSU under Mel Tucker. It's going to be a long 21 years I guess.

I hate to break it to you but there isn't some unicorn Head Coach out there that is going to come to UM and make them compete against OSU.  Harbaugh has done about the best a Michigan run program can do recruiting but he still hasn't come close to getting the amount of talent OSU has.

The past 7 years OSU has gotten 40 5* recruits to Michigan's 8(still 6th most in the country so not bad), seriously with that type of talent disparity you could have Bill Belicheck out there and you'll be hard pressed to win. Sure OSU isn't invincible so Michigan should beat once in a while but if you expect them to beat them anymore than say once every 5 years you're going to be disappointed no matter the coach, atleast as things stand now. If suddenly things change with recruits and teams like OSU, Bama and Georgia stop getting all the 5 star players then maybe things will be different but until then we're going to keep losing to OSU regularly no matter the coach. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I hate to break it to you but there isn't some unicorn Head Coach out there that is going to come to UM and make them compete against OSU.  Harbaugh has done about the best a Michigan run program can do recruiting but he still hasn't come close to getting the amount of talent OSU has.

The past 7 years OSU has gotten 40 5* recruits to Michigan's 8(still 6th most in the country so not bad), seriously with that type of talent disparity you could have Bill Belicheck out there and you'll be hard pressed to win. Sure OSU isn't invincible so Michigan should beat once in a while but if you expect them to beat them anymore than say once every 5 years you're going to be disappointed no matter the coach, atleast as things stand now. If suddenly things change with recruits and teams like OSU, Bama and Georgia stop getting all the 5 star players then maybe things will be different but until then we're going to keep losing to OSU regularly no matter the coach. 

This. Until the playoff expands to a point where guys like Day can’t just ride the coattails of their predecessor’s success, nothing will change between the CFP contenders and the second tier.

4 hours ago, buddha said:

michigan state is a fraud.  they have the worst pass defense in the COUNTRY.  not just the big ten.  theyve survived on luck so far.  they should have lost to michigan.

there no way an ohio state team taking them seriously was going to lose to them

and yes, this is a preview for next week but michigan is better than michigan state and is at home so it might be a little closer, but it will still be a blowout.

Michigan is not better than Michigan State. Unless State has a god awful team, as long as their records are equal or similar, until Harbaugh can prove he can win in a big game and beat Mel Tucker and MSU, he can't say his teams are better Tucker got it done and Harbaugh folded like a bitch, like usual in big games. Forget about Ohio State next weekend, they are going to put up 50+ on Michigan.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

You seriously put way too much emphasis on a Head Coach in any given game.  

A Heisman Trophy candidate running back making guys miss and taking over a game has nothing to do with Harbaugh's coaching ability, again stuff like that happens in football. Not every win or every loss is on the Harbaugh or the coach like you seem to think.

Every coach in almost any given game makes mistakes that you can point to in hindsight, the thing is those mistakes don't get noticed when the players on the field actually execute properly and win the game, when they don't execute, play poorly and lose suddenly every little thing that a coach does gets put under the microscope cause it's easier for fans to blame him than the players themselves. 

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

randy understands college football in 2021.

tater thinks its 1987.

Well, Oregon and MSU have crashed and burned tonight. I'll be curious to see if ND leapfrogs UM  and CInci to get into the 4th playoff berth. GTech is bad but 55-0 is still 55-0. Cinci won pretty big also over a better team, but there have to be a lot of 'people' out there that would like to get ND in the playoff.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well, Oregon and MSU have crashed and burned tonight. I'll be curious to see if ND leapfrogs UM  and CInci to get into the 4th playoff berth. GTech is bad but 55-0 is still 55-0. Cinci won pretty big also over a better team, but there have to be a lot of 'people' out there that would like to get ND in the playoff.

nd will not leap frog cincy or michigan this week.

michigan is 10-1 and ranked in the top 5 going into the last game of the year.

beat wisconsin and penn state on the road.  only loss to msu in a game they should have won and they got screwed by the refs (as usual.in EL).

how many of you would have taken that before the season started?  hint: all of you except tater who thinks every season with any loss is a failure and cause for the coach to be fired.

7 seasons under harbaugh, 4 years with 10 wins.  in today's day and age and with michigan's internal constraints, that's pretty damn good.

i expect them to lose to ohio state because ohio state is the most talented team in the conference by far.  but i expect them to finish the season in pasadena, which isnt so bad when you think about it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

i expect them to lose to ohio state because ohio state is the most talented team in the conference by far.  but i expect them to finish the season in pasadena, which isnt so bad when you think about it.

If you were to look at some of the head to heads, like PSU and Maryland, you might think UM should at least have a shot against OSU. But it sure doesn't feel like it.

To your larger point, the ground has been covered before, but you end up back with the truth that yes, 10 wins is a fair expectation ceiling for a UM program. UM isn't a top 5 kind of program on the field and has not consistently been one at any time in the modern era despite the poll voters always trying to put it there on paper. The difference is that for decades no other school in the B10 was either. OSU has just left the rest of the conference in the dust.

Edited by gehringer_2

Does Michigan jump Cincinnati?          

I predict the Top 12 will be...

1 - Georgia  - haven't been touched yet

2 - Ohio State - Could have scored 70 yesterday.  they don't have to answer for the Oregon game anymore

3 - Alabama - Have not been dominant enough

4 - Michigan - Strength of Schedule jumps them over Cincinnati

5 - Cincinnati - The committee is not letting them in if they can help it

6 - Notre Dame - Like stale cigarette smoke in your clothes, their stench lingers. 

7 - Oklahoma State - The Big 12's only hope?

8 - Baylor  - 2 losses probably keeps them out

9 - Oklahoma - I still feel like a little choas (Cincy loss, GA clobbers Bama and OSU destroying Michigan could somehow get them back in.  

10 - Ole Miss  - It's over

11 - Oregon - Deep down we knew they weren't a playoff team

12 - Michigan State - Good timing, Mel.  Well-played.   Was this Ryan Day's argument for a bigger contract? 

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

How I think it ends up? 

Ohio State beats Michigan by 20-24, then beats Wisconsin by even more

Georgia beats Alabama by 14-17 in the title game

Cincinnati loses to Houston

Notre Dame beats Stanford by 10-14 and does not have to play in the ACC title game

Oklahoma State beats Oklhaoma and then Baylor

Utah beats Oregon again

We end up with........

1. Georgia  (SEC Champ)

2. Ohio State  (Big Ten Champ)

3. Notre Dame  (At-Large)

4. Oklahoma State (Big 12 Champ)

-----------------------------------

5. Alabama  

6. Michigan   

7. Houston  (AAC Champ 

8 Utah (Pac 12 Champ)

9. Pittsburgh (ACC Champ)

10. Cincinnati

COTTON BOWL - Ohio State vs. Notre Dame

ORANGE - Georgia vs. Oklahoma State

ROSE BOWL - Michigan vs. Utah

SUGAR BOWL  - Alabama vs. Oklahoma

FIESTA BOWL -  Houston vs. Wisconsin

PEACH BOWL - Cincinnati vs. Pittsburgh

SUN BOWL - Clemson vs. Oregon

OUTBACK - Michigan State vs. Mississippi

CITRUS - Iowa vs. Texas A&M

ARIZONA - Eastern Michigan vs. Utah State

BIRMINGHAM -  Western Michigan vs. South Carolina

IDAHO POTATO - Central Michigan vs. Nevada

17 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

You seriously put way too much emphasis on a Head Coach in any given game.  

A Heisman Trophy candidate running back making guys miss and taking over a game has nothing to do with Harbaugh's coaching ability, again stuff like that happens in football. Not every win or every loss is on the Harbaugh or the coach like you seem to think.

Every coach in almost any given game makes mistakes that you can point to in hindsight, the thing is those mistakes don't get noticed when the players on the field actually execute properly and win the game, when they don't execute, play poorly and lose suddenly every little thing that a coach does gets put under the microscope cause it's easier for fans to blame him than the players themselves. 

Harbaugh is 10-14 against ranked opponents and 2-13 vs. Top 10. I guess all of those ranked and top 10 opponents have Heisman caliber running backs too. Or maybe, the coach just turtles up and gets out coached versus better opponents.

Ohio State just put 56 on MSU and contained Kenneth Walker to 25 yards and 0 TDs. Indiana contained Walker for 84 yards and 0 TDs. Nebraska gave up 61 yards and 0 TDs. Purdue did give up 137 yards but only one TD. Harbaugh and McDonald's defense surrendered 5 TDs and 197 yards. That is on the coaching staff, including both Harbaugh and Big Mac, for not coming out with the right game plan and not making the right defensive adjustments at halftime. Harbaugh routinely fails to respond with the right adjustments when other coaches change up their game plan and adjust. He also puts his kids in bad situations in big spots and loses the game for his team, see JJ McCarthy being put back in after fumbling vs MSU or Blake O'Neill not being given a max protect formation on trouble with the snap.

When Ohio State blows the doors off Michigan 62-30 and Harbaugh improves to 0-7 against Ohio State what will be the excuse then? Harbaugh had the right game plan and the kids just didn't execute?

Harbaugh is the worst big game coach at a major program I've ever watched, sans maybe Jeff Franklin. He and Franklin are one and the same, good recruiters who struggle with player development in certain areas, fail to make the right in-game adjustments, and come up short in big games.

And again, I'll go back the same point I've made since his loss to Ohio State in 2019. When Harbaugh was hired in as the next coach of Michigan, if someone told you that in 7 years he'd have only once developed his own QB, been 0-7 against Ohio State, 3-4 against MSU including a loss to MSU when it was their coaches first year, no Big Ten championship appearances, no CFB Playoff appearances, would you have been satisfied with it back when he was hired? If you wouldn't have accepted it back then, why accept it now.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad