2021 NCAA Football Thread

casimir

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

Honestly, nothing can really be decided until they have a new Schissel. 

If Wade decided to chase a new coach and raised *all* the needed money from the outside, I don't think Schlissel would care one way or the other about Harbaugh's future. OTOH, I am willing to wager he's not going to allow the signing of a big unfunded coaching contract as one of his last acts. In all the time he has been here I don't think I've ever heard him say more than a perfunctory word about football. I really don't think he personally gives a rat's asz about it beyond the raw financial ramifications of winning and losing.

7 hours ago, buddha said:

from the interwebs:

Harbaugh will draw a base salary of $605,000 over the next five years with additional compensation that nets him $3.3 million in 2021 and increased incrementally to $3.8 million in 2025. His total base compensation for the 2021 campaign is $4 million and tops out at $4.4 million in 2025.

he has one time incentive bonuses for championships and bowl games but no automatic escalators in salary based on performance.

I don’t think that salary is going to be enough to keep him.   It’s one thing to take a prove it deal after a few poor seasons to stay at your alma mater but it’s a different thing to stay as the 11th highest paid coach in the conference after winning 10 and going to a New Years Six bowl.   

Just now, Hongbit said:

I don’t think that salary is going to be enough to keep him.   It’s one thing to take a prove it deal after a few poor seasons to stay at your alma mater but it’s a different thing to stay as the 11th highest paid coach in the conference after winning 10 and going to a New Years Six bowl.   

well, there is still a huge swing in the what the after taste of this season will be pending the next two games. If he loses to Maryland or beats OSU the conversations will shift a bit. :classic_biggrin:

It’s amazing how far off the radar the Pac-12 has put itself these days.    There is a game with massive national implications and there’s barely a peep that current playoff team Oregon is a 3 point dog at Utah.  It seems likely these two will meet again in a few weeks in the conference title game but a loss here and the Ducks are out.   

30 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s amazing how far off the radar the Pac-12 has put itself these days.    There is a game with massive national implications and there’s barely a peep that current playoff team Oregon is a 3 point dog at Utah.  It seems likely these two will meet again in a few weeks in the conference title game but a loss here and the Ducks are out.   

The PAC-12s problem is there is no superpower. SEC has Alabama and a rotating cast, B1G has Ohio State, ACC has Clemson, Big 12 has Oklahoma.

It leads to there being a rotating cast of good but not great teams that beat up on each other. Oregon, Washington, U$C, Utah, and Stanford have all been that team over the last decade, but none have stepped up to be the perennial CFP power the conference needs to have to gain true national recognition.

The teams aren't bad, it's just none are great and they are all relatively equal, and good 10-2 teams don't have a chance to win anything in the current format.

32 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The PAC-12s problem is there is no superpower. SEC has Alabama and a rotating cast, B1G has Ohio State, ACC has Clemson, Big 12 has Oklahoma.

It leads to there being a rotating cast of good but not great teams that beat up on each other. Oregon, Washington, U$C, Utah, and Stanford have all been that team over the last decade, but none have stepped up to be the perennial CFP power the conference needs to have to gain true national recognition.

The teams aren't bad, it's just none are great and they are all relatively equal, and good 10-2 teams don't have a chance to win anything in the current format.

usc should be a superpower and will be if they ever find the right coach.

20 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Meh. U$C and Texas both. Why are they any different than Tennessee, Miami, or Nebraska at this point? At what point does "if only the coach was right" become "the program isn't cutting it anymore"

usc is in a hotbed of recruiting and has little west coast competition.

agree on texas.  

miami doesnt have the same tradition as texas and usc or the same resources and it has a lot of competition in the state.  tennessee is competing with fellow sec money.  nebraska has no recruiting base.

but i get your point.  however, i would rank usc's potential above all those other programs except texas.

I wonder if USC is hurt at all by now having 2 NFL teams? My brother lived in LA during the Leinart and Bush days and he said they were like rockstars in the city in no small part to having no football competition in the fall from an NFL team. Id imagine that had to bring some appeal to going there. 

Of course you're still playing in the 2nd biggest market in the US and in Southern California but it might not have the same cache as it did pre NFL.

Edited by RandyMarsh

25 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Meh. U$C and Texas both. Why are they any different than Tennessee, Miami, or Nebraska at this point? At what point does "if only the coach was right" become "the program isn't cutting it anymore"

I’m guessing you are probably younger than 40, which would explain why you don’t see much difference between these teams.    

USC has struggled hugely since Pete Carroll’s amazing run from 2001 - 2009. That is all that many younger people think of regarding USC along with the shit show the program has sunk to since under Kiffin, Sark, and Helton.  

Older folks know there is a history of championship teams and players lasting from the 50s through the 80’s that very few programs could match.   This wasn’t a few good seasons or players along the way.   They dominated for good parts of the 50s, 60s, and 70s.     

Fwiw, I am never bothered by the U$C slight but it is a little bit ironic coming from a Stanford alum.   The Farm has become almost as much a giant PE firm/business incubator than it is an actual research university.   

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m guessing you are probably younger than 40, which would explain why you don’t see much difference between these teams.    

USC has struggled hugely since Pete Carroll’s amazing run from 2001 - 2009. That is all that many younger people think of regarding USC along with the shit show the program has sunk to since under Kiffin, Sark, and Helton.  

Older folks know there is a history of championship teams and players lasting from the 50s through the 80’s that very few programs could match.   This wasn’t a few good seasons or players along the way.   They dominated for good parts of the 50s, 60s, and 70s.     

Fwiw, I am never bothered by the U$C slight but it is a little bit ironic coming from a Stanford alum.   The Farm has become almost as much a giant PE firm/business incubator than it is an actual research university.   

I am 26, so you're correct on my experience with SC, but I still think the same could be said for a lot of those programs I named. Texas won at least one NC in every decade until the 90s. Tennessee was strong too, though not quite to the same extent. I also think it is kind of my point that those programs (maybe not Tennessee) are relying on that past success to be a precursor to future success. Because we were good in the 50s-90s and even the early 2000s, we deserve to be good in 2021. At what point does the program need to re-evaluate how they are presenting themselves to the greater high school football community? Part of that is coaching certainly.

Regarding the U$C jab, it is not something I think too much about anymore. I started it in a different board I used to frequent that had USC fans in it to get on their nerves, and it's held over as pretty automatic. The irony is definitely rich though. When I was in the Stanford Band (a revelation which will disgust some of you I am sure), we would wave dollar bills in the air to mock their fight song. Speaking for myself, I am a first-generation / low-income student that transferred in from a community college and graduated with a degree in Psychology (where I did quite a bit of research and did not expose myself to even an ounce of that VC culture FWIW)..... I saw the irony dripping from the wallpaper of the mansions some of my classmates were raised in (though they certainly didn't). I still did it though because I enjoyed making the old USC fans mad at a bunch of childhood nonsense.

I think it's fair criticism to say that having graduated and grown, it's childish to continue. Not that you said that explicitly, but it would be fair. I'll probably stew on that.

50 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I am 26, so you're correct on my experience with SC, but I still think the same could be said for a lot of those programs I named. Texas won at least one NC in every decade until the 90s. Tennessee was strong too, though not quite to the same extent. I also think it is kind of my point that those programs (maybe not Tennessee) are relying on that past success to be a precursor to future success. Because we were good in the 50s-90s and even the early 2000s, we deserve to be good in 2021. At what point does the program need to re-evaluate how they are presenting themselves to the greater high school football community? Part of that is coaching certainly.

Regarding the U$C jab, it is not something I think too much about anymore. I started it in a different board I used to frequent that had USC fans in it to get on their nerves, and it's held over as pretty automatic. The irony is definitely rich though. When I was in the Stanford Band (a revelation which will disgust some of you I am sure), we would wave dollar bills in the air to mock their fight song. Speaking for myself, I am a first-generation / low-income student that transferred in from a community college and graduated with a degree in Psychology (where I did quite a bit of research and did not expose myself to even an ounce of that VC culture FWIW)..... I saw the irony dripping from the wallpaper of the mansions some of my classmates were raised in (though they certainly didn't). I still did it though because I enjoyed making the old USC fans mad at a bunch of childhood nonsense.

I think it's fair criticism to say that having graduated and grown, it's childish to continue. Not that you said that explicitly, but it would be fair. I'll probably stew on that.

Among all of the individual rivalries and in state battles between schools in the Pac there has always been one thing in common. Everyone hates SC.   I get it.  SC has a very cocky alumni base that thinks very highly of itself and it’s past accomplishments.   Honestly, it’s very similar to UM only with more trophies.   The mascot is a high horse so it’s only fitting that we act that way.   It’s actually only gotten worse as the academic standing of the university has skyrocketed over the last 30 years.  

I actually love the Stanford band.    I am also a big fan of the renovated Stanford Stadium.   Great place to watch a game and one of the only venues left that will still let you freely go in and out with a handstamp.   Halftime tailgating is an awesome concept.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, casimir said:

Halftime tailgating?

They let you go in and out.   The stadium is small and they will let you in and out.   Its’s easy to go back to the car for a beverage at halftime.   At least they did.  Im not sure if enhanced security has changed or not.   

Edited by Hongbit

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

They let you go in and out.   The stadium is small and they will let you in and out.   Its’s easy to go back to the car for a beverage at halftime.   At least they did.  Im not sure if enhanced security has changed or not.   

I'm not sure if this is the case either for general fans, though I know enhanced security did arrive, they have a clear bag policy now. For students, we could dance in and out of the gates all night long, they're so desperate for something of a student section.

14 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

26!  oy vey, just a baby.  🙂

usc is a blue blood program with a large, rich fan base and a long history and expectation for success.

they are like michigan (only more successful because they got to play their bowl games at home) as a big time program who is no longer elite.

usc-ucla used to be a really big game.  now its nothing.  heck, usc-notre dame used to be one of the biggest games every year and now no one really pays attention.

i think theyre hurt because they are in los angeles and no one in los angeles cares unless you are winning.  bandwagon town unless youre the dodgers or lakers.

• Like 1

and usc is hurt by their inability to get into the playoff.  just like all the good programs who have fallen a bit behind (penn state, michigan, usc, florida, miami, florida state), that inability to crack into the top 4 has hurt their standing with the top recruits.  bama, clemson, ohio state, georgia generally monopolize the best players and thus become the top teams.