2021 NCAA Football Thread

casimir

Of those jobs in a wide-open NIL landscape. You'd want either USC, LSU or Miami because the donor base are the most angsty about competing and you have the best conditions for hiring players.  USC and Miami are private unis so less constrained by the factors a public uni have.  

If you have the USC program rolling you are king of the biggest city west of Mexico City but still on this side of the international dateline. 

if fickell and campbell get offers (and they will) they should jump at them.  you only get so many chances to make $5m plus.  ya gotta take it.

especially campbell.  he's at iowa state, ya gotta get the eff out of there before you have a couple injuries and go 3-8.  fickell is in a recruiting hot bed and can live off ohio state's scraps (as many coaches have done before him at cincinnati).  campbell is in iowa for god's sake.

the issue for them is theyre midwest guys with midwest recruiting ties.  all the job openings are on the coasts.  now, one scenario i can see play out is tucker leaving msu for lsu and then campbell or maybe fickell taking the msu job.  or franklin leaving penn state and fickell taking the penn state job.

neither of those two seems right for usc, lsu, miami, or washington.

After years of neglect the USC job is now a total rebuild.   The cupboard is absolutely empty for the next coach coming in.   There’s very little high end talent on the roster.  I can’t see how it won’t take at least 2 years to get back to 10 win territory.    

They are pretty tight lipped about this search but it seems they would like to name a coach in early December before the early signing window.    The AD hired Fickell to Cincy and he has been viewed as the favorite.       He also worked with Eric Bieniemy and his name has been mentioned as well.   An outside candidate like a Campbell or Aranda have also been mentioned.    Don’t count out something completely off the board that nobody saw coming.    It’s USC so that’s always possible.   

Edited by Hongbit

4 hours ago, buddha said:

if fickell and campbell get offers (and they will) they should jump at them.  you only get so many chances to make $5m plus.  ya gotta take it.

especially campbell.  he's at iowa state, ya gotta get the eff out of there before you have a couple injuries and go 3-8.  fickell is in a recruiting hot bed and can live off ohio state's scraps (as many coaches have done before him at cincinnati).  campbell is at little brother in iowa for god's sake.

the issue for them is theyre midwest guys with midwest recruiting ties.  all the job openings are on the coasts.  now, one scenario i can see play out is tucker leaving msu for lsu and then campbell or maybe fickell taking the msu job.  or franklin leaving penn state and fickell taking the penn state job.

neither of those two seems right for usc, lsu, miami, or washington.

Just one small fix there.

18 hours ago, buddha said:

coaching jobs open:

usc

lsu

florida (probably)

washington

miami (maybe)

gonna be some big time musical chairs next year.  tucker and fickell should be moving to greener pastures for sure.

Tuck is about to become the one of the top four highest-paid coach in NCAA - by Michigan State. (An 8 year deal worth 56 to 68 million)    He's not going anywhere.    Not right now.   

Speaking of USC, they lost their top recruit, 5* DB Domani Jackson who is rumored to be high on Michigan. He says he is coming for the OSU game with his Dad so lets hope we can impress him(yes I know probably not happening). I guess he is close with fellow 5 star DB Will Johnson who is committed to Michigan. It would be a real get for us if we could get both of those guys. 

Wild Stab here.....

Florida - Mark Stoops (Kentucky Head Coach)

LSU - Joe Brady (Panters OC)

Miami - Joe Moorhead  (Oregon OC)

Oklahoma - Matt Rhule  (Panthers Head Coach)

USC - Urban Meyer (Jaguars Head Caoch)

Ohio State - Luke Fickell (Cincinnati Head Coach)

Washington - Jay Norvell (Nevada Head Coach)

Cincinnati - Mike Tressel  (current DC)

NFL openings

Las Vegas - Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma Head Whiner)

Jacksonville - Byron Leftwich  (Bucs OC)

Broncos - Eric Bieniemy  (Cheifs OC)

Bears - Ryan Day  (Ohio State Head Coach)

Vikings - Brian Daboll  (Bills OC)

Panthers - Joe Woods  (Browns DC)

41 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wild Stab here.....

Florida - Mark Stoops (Kentucky Head Coach)

LSU - Joe Brady (Panters OC)

Miami - Joe Moorhead  (Oregon OC)

Oklahoma - Matt Rhule  (Panthers Head Coach)

USC - Urban Meyer (Jaguars Head Caoch)

Ohio State - Luke Fickell (Cincinnati Head Coach)

Washington - Jay Norvell (Nevada Head Coach)

Cincinnati - Mike Tressel  (current DC)

NFL openings

Las Vegas - Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma Head Whiner)

Jacksonville - Byron Leftwich  (Bucs OC)

Broncos - Eric Bieniemy  (Cheifs OC)

Bears - Ryan Day  (Ohio State Head Coach)

Vikings - Brian Daboll  (Bills OC)

Panthers - Joe Woods  (Browns DC)

lol at ryan day to the bears.  god, i hope the bears do that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Tuck is about to become the one of the top four highest-paid coach in NCAA - by Michigan State. (An 8 year deal worth 56 to 68 million)    He's not going anywhere.    Not right now.   

Tucker will follow the money, he's demonstrated that. If LSU will top whatever MSU offers he will leave in a heartbeat.

I get why MSU is doing it (they feel like they have to), but I also don't think it's wise of them, as a school or as an athletic program. Even if Tucker stays, I think it is more likely they are looking to buy him out in year three of this massive deal than it is they are winning Big Ten championships. 

Wise decisions haven't exactly been that school's forte as of late though.

On 11/14/2021 at 10:17 PM, buddha said:

coaching jobs open:

usc

lsu

florida (probably)

washington

miami (maybe)

gonna be some big time musical chairs next year.  tucker and fickell should be moving to greener pastures for sure.

When Harbaugh loses 62-30 to Ohio State (which is my prediction for the final score) he should have his name added to the list, but sadly Michigan has lowered its standards to become the Texas of the midwest. We'll miss out on Fickell, which will be a real shame.

44 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When Harbaugh loses 62-30 to Ohio State (which is my prediction for the final score) he should have his name added to the list, but sadly Michigan has lowered its standards to become the Texas of the midwest. We'll miss out on Fickell, which will be a real shame.

michigan is 9-1 and ranked 6th in the country.

texas is 4-5, has lost 5 straight, and just lost at home to kansas for the first time in 100 years.

i think you need to relax a bit.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

texas is 4-5, has lost 5 straight, and just lost at home to kansas for the first time in 100 years.

Just like Texas they don't win big games anymore, they don't win rivalry games, they don't win conference championships, they don't win bowl games. Also, Harbaugh went 2-4 last year and Texas went 7-3. And at 7-3 Tom Herman still got fired.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, buddha said:

Yeah, unless they crash against Maryland, the 10 wins certainly saves Harbaugh's job - assuming he still wants it. I find his whole presentation very strange recently. And yes I mean more than how strange he normally was in the past.

I’m not certain of the details of the extension that Harbaugh signed last year.  I thought it was one where he took a pay cut to stay on and changed some future buyout money.   Does anyone know if there are automatic escalators in it to reward him for having a strong bounce back this year?     I suspect that Jim will want to get compensated and more importantly add future job security back after winning 10 games and going to a good bowl game.   If UM isn’t prepared to commit then I wouldn’t  be surprised if he walked to another job in either college or pro.   

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Just like Texas they don't win big games anymore, they don't win rivalry games, they don't win conference championships, they don't win bowl games. Also, Harbaugh went 2-4 last year and Texas went 7-3. And at 7-3 Tom Herman still got fired.

yeah, and texas fans like you clamored for tom herman to get fired after no national championships because "TEXAS IS BETTER THAN THAT".  And he was duly fired and paid $20 million to go away. and then what happened?

they hired steve sarkissian because he was so great after spending one year with alabama's massive talent factory and now texas is a laughingstock.

be careful what you wish for, tater.

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not certain of the details of the extension that Harbaugh signed last year.  I thought it was one where he took a pay cut to stay on and changed some future buyout money.   Does anyone know if there are automatic escalators in it to reward him for having a strong bounce back this year?     I suspect that Jim will want to get compensated and more importantly add future job security back after winning 10 games and going to a good bowl game.   If UM isn’t prepared to commit then I wouldn’t  be surprised if he walked to another job in either college or pro.   

from the interwebs:

Harbaugh will draw a base salary of $605,000 over the next five years with additional compensation that nets him $3.3 million in 2021 and increased incrementally to $3.8 million in 2025. His total base compensation for the 2021 campaign is $4 million and tops out at $4.4 million in 2025.

he has one time incentive bonuses for championships and bowl games but no automatic escalators in salary based on performance.

47 minutes ago, buddha said:

from the interwebs:

Harbaugh will draw a base salary of $605,000 over the next five years with additional compensation that nets him $3.3 million in 2021 and increased incrementally to $3.8 million in 2025. His total base compensation for the 2021 campaign is $4 million and tops out at $4.4 million in 2025.

he has one time incentive bonuses for championships and bowl games but no automatic escalators in salary based on performance.

The other change was that in the reworked deal there is relatively little buyout money owed him if they terminate him.