2021 NCAA Football Thread

casimir

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You're wrong there.  The season ends in Happy Valley.  

It could, but I think Michigan is the better team than Penn State. Granted, Michigan is also a better team than MSU.

I think it's more likely Ohio State and Michigan both enter The Game at 10-1 with a spot in the B1G Championship on the line and Ohio State wins by 40.

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

The most Michigan football fan thing ever is to criticize another team’s coach for being overrated.  But I guess you’ve got to take your victory laps where you can, c’est la vie.

Like MCS had, I'd rather have Tucker over Harbaugh too. That said, as a regular 97.1 listener Valenti and Rico were insufferable this week bragging and boasting about MSU and I had to turn it off after it got old 1 hour into their Monday show. Now they have to go out there on Monday's show, tail tucked between their legs, and act all aggrieved by what happened. That's one reason why this lost satisfies me. The other is of course the fact that it still technically, even though we'll get rolled by Ohio State, keeps Michigan in the hunt for a Big Ten title.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It could, but I think Michigan is the better team than Penn State. Granted, Michigan is also a better team than MSU.

I think it's more likely Ohio State and Michigan both enter The Game at 10-1 with a spot in the B1G Championship on the line and Ohio State wins by 40.

Funny thing, for all the criticism of the offense, M can score and McNamara can throw just fine- it's the D that is what keeps this team out of consideration as any kind of great team, even with the 2 hot DE's.

Edited by gehringer_2

29-7.......................I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say they've got this now.  

LSU just beat Bama. 

Tuesday's Playoff Ranking.  

1. Georgia

2. Alabama

3. Oregon

4. Ohio State

5. Michigan

6. Cincinnati

7. Oklahoma

8. Michigan State

9 Notre Dame

10. Oklahoma State

My 8 team playoff ranking currently

SEC Leader - Georgia

P12 Leader - Oregon

B10 Leader - Ohio State

B12 Leader - Oklahoma

ACC Leader - Wake Forest

At Large - Alabama

At Large - Michigan

At Large - Cincinnati

To Hell with Notre Dame. 

Cincinnati vs. Georgia

Michigan vs. Oregon

Alabama vs. Ohio State

Wake Forest vs. Oklahoma

To Hell with Notre Dame again. 

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

1. Georgia

2. Alabama

3. Oregon

4. Ohio State

5. Michigan

6. Cincinnati

7. Oklahoma

8. Michigan State

9 Notre Dame

10. Oklahoma State

I texted a very similar prediction to a friend tonight. My only difference was ND at 8 over MSU at 9.

Cincinnati had a very uninspiring escape against Tulsa today, they don't need to be giving the committee excuses to exclude them, they'll find reasons on their own.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I texted a very similar prediction to a friend tonight. My only difference was ND at 8 over MSU at 9.

Cincinnati had a very uninspiring escape against Tulsa today, they don't need to be giving the committee excuses to exclude them, they'll find reasons on their own.

That's IF Oregon holds on.   If they don't  Its OSU at #3 and Michigan at #4, Oklahoma leapfrogging Cincy at #5 because they aren't letting them in unless we end up with a bunch of 2-loss teams.  

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's IF Oregon holds on.   If they don't  Its OSU at #3 and Michigan at #4, Oklahoma leapfrogging Cincy at #5 because they aren't letting them in unless we end up with a bunch of 2-loss teams.  

Cincy shouldn’t be sniffing the top 10. The beat ND and that’s it. They’ve struggled in a few games on their weak schedule 

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Cincy shouldn’t be sniffing the top 10. The beat ND and that’s it. They’ve struggled in a few games on their weak schedule 

I sort of disagree here.  I think if you get 9 games into the season with 0 losses, you should be in or around the Top 10.  Especially now in the Transfer Portal Era where guys that used to be the backups at places like Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, can go start at smaller schools.   Going 9 weeks without having an off-day, or surviving an off-day to win is very impressive.    Only 4 left with Georgia, Cincy, Oklahoma and UTSA.      Cincinnati has a real shot of being the only unbeaten team with Georgia's tendency to lose the big game and Oklahoma seemingly vulnerable (maybe not with their new QB now).     I think it totally sucks that a team like UTSA can go unbeaten and will have no playoff at all.  Not even a shot.  There needs to be a Group of 5 playoff as well.    

With Oklahoma's loss, it seems the Big 12 is out of the playoff.  Or is that jumping the gun a bit?  Are all 1 loss power 5s still in play?

ACC:  Only remaining 1 loss team is Wake Forest.  Pittsburgh has 2 losses and everyone else (including Dabo U) has at least 3.

Big Ten:  Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State remain as 1 loss teams.  It would seem likely that if one of these remains at 1 loss through the conference championship it gets invited to the playoffs.

Big XII:  Oklahoma and Oklahoma State remain as 1 loss teams.

PAC 12:  Oregon has 1 loss and everyone else has at least 3 losses.

SEC:  Undefeated Georgia is probably in a position where they could lose 1 and still be in the playoffs.  It seems likely Alabama is in if it wins out, but if it takes a 2nd loss, then its questionable.  I root for chaos and a 1 loss ACC champion Wake Forest left out in lieu of a 2 loss Alabama.

Others:  Cincinnati is still undefeated and a loss removes them from playoff consideration.  Our Lady is still at 1 loss to Cincy and they'll get the benefit of doubt over a 1 loss Wake Forest and Oklahoma State.  UTexas at San Antonio is undefeated and that's a nice story.

In a way, an undefeated Cincinnati is probably beneficial to the NCAA.  Its probably not the case in most years, but this year, undefeated with a win over Our Lady and a bunch of one losses that might not be easily distinguishable?

1 hour ago, buddha said:

real chaos is okstate beats ou, msu beats osu, osu beats um, penn state beats msu, wiscy beats osu in big ten champ game.

HaHa! that would be fun. But probably more chaos if the conf champ game winner and all the the other B10 teams have two losses.  OSU with a win in the conf championship and only losses to top 10 teams probably still gets some consideration. But if Wisc wins the conf game at 3 losses and everyone else has at least two - I think that makes it an easier decision to leave the B10 at home.

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

HaHa! that would be fun. But probably more chaos if the conf champ game winner and all the the other B10 teams have two losses.  OSU with a win in the conf championship and only losses to top 10 teams probably still gets some consideration. But if Wisc wins the conf game at 3 losses and everyone else has at least two - I think that makes it an easier decision to leave the B10 at home.

Chaos?

- Georgia blows out Bama in SEC title game

- MSU wins out including BiG title game

And with the two spots left:

- Michigan beats Maryland and OSU

- Cincy loses a game

- Oregon loses a game

- ND wins out

- Wake Forest wins out

- Oklahoma beats Oklahoma St in final game of Big 12 season but Oklahoma St wins rematch in Big 12 title game