09/18/2023 10:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Los Angeles Dodgers

casimir

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

if he got traded to LAD, it would have seriously affected his career, stuck behind one of the best Cs in baseball for 3.5 years, getting 60 starts a year

Maybe that’s Jake’s ceiling on a good team? In that way, he may not be unlike David Ross? A guy with a glove and a bit of pop who gets exposed with too much playing time?

I’m doubtful about Jake’s All-Star potential. Maybe if he were 24 I’d be more on board with that idea.

Edited by chasfh

I think Jake could be an All Star in the way that McCann was or a number of other guys who had flukey starts to the season and got rewarded with an appearance for it have but yeah its hard to envision him being a true All Star caliber player. 

With that said there is nothing wrong with a catcher who gives you a .450+ slugging percentage along with solid defense. If he can continue that for the next few years he would be the least of our problems going forward. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

if he got traded to LAD, it would have seriously affected his career, stuck behind one of the best Cs in baseball for 3.5 years, getting 60 starts a year

EROD was going to LA, Rogers was going somewhere - probably LA, but I don't know if that was established. Still, I'm not sure if I'd be unhappier on a top team in a top city playing backup to a guy I can at least respect than sitting on a bad team when the guys my manager is playing in front of me are clearly worse.

7 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Anyone else getting nervous about Riley Greene’s injury?

I am, I haven't been keeping up with things since football started so I don't even know how it happened or the details around it, just that it's an elbow thing. I just hope it's not a TJ thing since now you're starting to see them more and more even in position players. 

Either way it would be nice to get to the bottom of it ASAP, Harper had TJ surgery last Sept and was back in the Phillies lineup by Memorial Day so if the Tigers could fix the problem soon he may not have to miss too much time next season. 

36 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

yes. injuries - plural. the broken foot is a fluke. But stress fractures in a young guy? elbow injured as he plays recklessly. not a fluid athlete at all. another reason to not have full time DH

The stress frature is more concerning and I am worried about his propensity for injury in general.  I don't know if any injury is 100% fluke because some people get injured easier than others doing the same things.  I think the ability to stay healthy has to be viewed as a skill. His most recent injury occurred because he completely layed out diving for a fly ball, so the injury is not surprising.  Still, maybe another player doesn't get hurt as bad doing that.  Maybe Greene is the kind of player that can't play that way and needs to play more conservatively.   He hits well enough, so it's OK if he misses a few of balls over the course of the season in order to porotect himself.   

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The stress frature is more concerning and I am worried about his propensity for injury in general.  I don't know if any injury is 100% fluke because some people get injured easier than others doing the same things.  I think the ability to stay healthy has to be viewed as a skill. His most recent injury occurred because he completely layed out diving for a fly ball, so the injury is not surprising.  Still, maybe another player doesn't get hurt as bad doing that.  Maybe Greene is the kind of player that can't play that way and needs to play more conservatively.   He hits well enough, so it's OK if he misses a few of balls over the course of the season in order to porotect himself.   

Many physical therapists will tell you the importance of stretching in preventing soft tissue injuries. Not in the Manning or Greene injuries, those are just fluke. But many players who get pulled muscle injuries over and over don't stretch properly. Those are the ones I consider "injury prone". Others may call them lazy for not stretching properly to prevent these type of injuries in the first place.

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I am, I haven't been keeping up with things since football started so I don't even know how it happened or the details around it, just that it's an elbow thing. I just hope it's not a TJ thing since now you're starting to see them more and more even in position players. 

Either way it would be nice to get to the bottom of it ASAP, Harper had TJ surgery last Sept and was back in the Phillies lineup by Memorial Day so if the Tigers could fix the problem soon he may not have to miss too much time next season. 

An X poster, Iffy, tweeted that Dickerson was talking about Greene and TJ possibilities for several minutes on last night's radio broadcast. 

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Iggy lost a season to stress fractures. Addressed it in his training and it never recurred. Lower leg stress fractures can happen in younger players who over train and don't have sense enough to stop when they start to feel the first warning signs, so I'm not so alarmed by that as long as the training staff stays on top of him in the future.

Definitely agree Riley has to stop playing such a reckless style. No one can keep playing like that and stay healthy. Just moderate things. You don't have to stop diving, but keep it to low dives more along the ground.  If you are going to have to leap up and across like on the play where he hurt the arm, just play it off the wall. Hopefully  playing next to Meadows (if he can stick) will help as an example as it's pretty clear Parker plays a more under control style - maybe it will rub off a little on Riley.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Definitely agree Riley has to stop playing such a reckless style. No one can keep playing like that and stay healthy. Just moderate things. You don't have to stop diving, but keep it to low dives more along the ground.  If you are going to have to leap up and across like on the play where he hurt the arm, just play it off the wall. Hopefully  playing next to Meadows (if he can stick) will help as an example as it's pretty clear Parker plays a more under control style - maybe it will rub off a little on Riley.

Reminds me a bit of Fred Lynn. One of my earliest baseball memories is of Lynn crashing into the CF wall during the ‘75 World Series as a rookie. 

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/how-things-went-wrong-for-surefire-hall-of-famer-fred-lynn/

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Rogers is not an allstar, but he's good enough to start and not just for the Tigers.  He's an average catcher who could start for some contending teams.  He's not good enough where you don't consider trading him, but I'd want to see a good return if he were traded.   

he could start for contending teams if they have established All-Stars at other positions. I don't think he could be one of the three best everyday starters of a pennant-winner, but he could be seventh- or eighth-best.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

EROD was going to LA, Rogers was going somewhere - probably LA, but I don't know if that was established. Still, I'm not sure if I'd be unhappier on a top team in a top city playing backup to a guy I can at least respect than sitting on a bad team when the guys my manager is playing in front of me are clearly worse.

The Tigers are giving Carson Kelly every chance to convince them to pick up his option for next year. It's not going well.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

he could start for contending teams if they have established All-Stars at other positions. I don't think he could be one of the three best everyday starters of a pennant-winner, but he could be seventh- or eighth-best.

Right, you are not going to win a division with a line-up of Jakes Rogerses, but you can carry a few guys with a 100 OPS+ and solid defense to go with your allstars. He's not Cochrane or Freehan or Parrish, but he's Avila.