What Are You Reading?

John_Brian_K

3 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I just referenced Blockbuster this morning when talking about Comcast's business model and they're overage fees etc.

I would be interested to know how Family Video is doing with their brick and mortar buildings. The one near us just sold and the one near my office is still empty.

I would guess Family Video's building business not as good post-pandemic since retail in general has taken a hit.

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

Good overview, and makes a lot of sense.

Family Video was sort of the downscale/small-town pre-Redbox version of Blockbuster. I interviewed for the digital marketing director job at their HQ here. They told me during the interview that they did not see themselves as an entertainment delivery vehicle. Their core business model was real estate acquisition and management. They would buy the land to build the store on and use the revenue from renting videos to pay the mortgage and get free and clear on it. Then, were the rental business to go upside down somehow, they would still be sitting on nine figures worth of land and buildings they could rent out to other chains like pizza and fast food and still be a going concern.

I didn't end up working for them. Three reasons: (1) the idea of the video business going upside down suggested to me I wouldn't be there long even if i wanted to be, since that's what they wanted me to manage the digital marketing for; (2) they told me they run their business "like a family", complete with paternalistic aspects like funding college educations for some employees' children. Sounds good, right? I see that as a huge red flag—I wouldn't want to work for a family where such paternalism obligates me to them beyond my job, and where work culture is malleable and subject to owner fiat, and where I'm expected to let things slide as you are expected to with family members; and (3) I got an offer for a better job for more money with a major company before I could get the offer from FV, anyway.

I have a few friends who were  managers at FV in different location in the past and they pretty much had same thing about the company view themselves in the real estate business. we still have 1 open in Traverse city but 3/4 of the building is a Jimmy Johns and Qdoba 

Just finished reading Geezer Butler’s book, Into the Void. As much as I followed the original Black Sabbath, there was a lot of information about the band I was not aware of. Butler is a very down to earth guy. I’d love to sit and have a pint or two with him. 
If you had any interest in the band I would recommend it. It is officially an autobiography. 

On 9/2/2023 at 4:28 PM, Toddwert said:

Reading in hardcover The Campaigns of Napoleon by David G. Chandler

on Kindle reading Poland by James Michener

There’s a movie about Napoleon coming out, starring Joaquin Phoenix. Considering the impact he has had on history, his is a life trajectory I know very little about. Looking forward to it. And bonus: Josephine is being played by Vanessa Kirby. 😍

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

There’s a movie about Napoleon coming out, starring Joaquin Phoenix. Considering the impact he has had on history, his is a life trajectory I know very little about. Looking forward to it. And bonus: Josephine is being played by Vanessa Kirby. 😍

I'm excited about it too and its directed by Ridley Scott

Just finished Good Night Irene, by Louis Alberto Urrea. It's historical fiction based on Urrea's mother's experience as a "Donut Dolly" during WWII. These were Red Cross recruits that followed the troops during WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. Most of their history has been lost.

Urrea wrote the story based on her papers following her death. Like most vets she never talked about her experiences when she was alive.

Irene and her partner Dot pilot a 2 1/2 ton truck serving coffee and donuts (and other things) to front line troops. Including Battle of the Bulge and the "opening" of Buchenwald. It's basically a distaff version of Band of Brothers.

• 4 months later...
On 8/13/2023 at 4:55 PM, Toddwert said:

Working on The Count of Monte Cristo and Island Infernos by John McManus  ( about the US army in pacific in World War II)

Count is one of the books I keep rereading.  About 6-7 times on that one.  Always pick up new stuff everytime.

I’m making 2024 the year I renew my penchant for losing myself in some good books (most new, but also some “old” re-reads), with a smattering of banned books in the mix.  I gifted about a dozen books this year for Christmas also. I’ll be borrowing some of them back, lol, because a few I haven’t read in probably 30-50 years.

throughout my life, I would read a pretty large number of books per year, but then, somewhere around 15-20 years ago it was something akin to when marathon runners say that they “hit the wall“. That’s what it felt like to me… Suddenly I couldn’t pick up a book and read more than 10 pages and retain anything that that I just read. totally shocked me, and I’ve tried with very limited success to read a book here and there for these past years. I’m definitely missing them in my life. So this year I’m going to find a way to get that mindset back. It was only recently, like in the last couple of months, that finally a couple friends of mine, some compatriots, came up with An explanation for my sudden drop in reading. I don’t know why I never made this connection, but their thoughts were that menopause did this to me. Jesus. I realize the timing might be about right. Well , it’s time for me to get over it! 🤓

i’m starting with “The beekeeper of Aleppo.” And I think the next book I’ll read after this will be “To Kill a Mockingbird.”

My 3rd will be a re-read of “Slaughterhouse Five”.

IMG_3804.jpeg

IMG_3714.jpeg

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Welcome back JBK.  I hadn't seen you in a long time.  

Just a pit stop.  Thanks.  I missed some of the people on here and decided to see what was going on.

Also thanks again for the book recommendation.  When I went back and read through this thread again I realized I never tried that Cork series.  Just started it a few days ago and so far so good.

• Like 1

I started using the GoodReads app to track my reading.  I fall into a habit of reading books twice.  I'm a non fiction guy and I focus on specific topics, mostly space related or entertainment history.  My wife and friend make fun of me because they get into the self help type books and I just can't do it.  I read for enjoyment, I like myself and dont need help, and I don't want to be preached at or lectured while chilling out.

Currently I am reading Geddy Lee's book and re-reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter Buskind.  It's about the rise of the directors in the late 60s and 70's, Coppola, Hopper, Bogdonavich, Scorsese, etc and how they changed Hollywood from the old studio system.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Have you read all 19 books?  I am on 5 right now on chapter 30 and think I got it figured out just based on his past books, but could be way off.

I have read all his books, including ones not in the series.  Sometimes, it is easy to figure it out.  Other times, it's more difficult.  I enjoy the characters too, especially Cork.    In some of the later books, I will say that Cork's mentor - the wise old man - gets a little too much play and it becomes unrealistic.  

• Like 1

Some recent books, in no particular order:

Tightrope

Poverty, By America

They Were Her Property

Send For Me

Forgotten Girls

Sunflower Sisters

Also a bunch of cozy mysteries

Next on my list is The Bookseller of Dachau.

I'm thinking I need to read something light and funny... but I keep saying that and keep ending up with interesting-but depressing- material.