Week Three: Atlanta Falcons (2-0) @ Detroit Lions (1-1)

MichiganCardinal

Everybody likes to **** on Glenn and I'm not defending him per se cause I'm not a fan of his reluctance to blitz but it's not like he has a ton of talent to work with either especially with guys like Mosely and now CJGJ out.  Not counting Branch or Campbell since they have only played 2 games there really isn't anybody out there with first round pedigree outside of Hutch. 

Basically I think you are asking alot out of a DC if you expect this defense to be anything but league average at best with the current personnel it has. Maybe in time if/when the young guys progress you expect more but as of now the defense is almost entirely filled with guys with little or no track record of any sustained NFL success. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Everybody likes to **** on Glenn and I'm not defending him per se cause I'm not a fan of his reluctance to blitz but it's not like he has a ton of talent to work with either especially with guys like Mosely and now CJGJ out.  Not counting Branch or Campbell since they have only played 2 games there really isn't anybody out there with first round pedigree outside of Hutch. 

Basically I think you are asking alot out of a DC if you expect this defense to be anything but league average at best with the current personnel it has. Maybe in time if/when the young guys progress you expect more but as of now the defense is almost entirely filled with guys with little or no track record of any sustained NFL success. 

League average would be great. He hasn't come close to that 

• Like 1

BTW I don't think they are playing even average defense thus far but I don't think they have been dreadful either, I do think the lack of pass rush has been very concerning as has the LBs in coverage but I feel they have done a really good job stopping the run and outside of Jacobs the secondary has done a solid job in coverage. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Right now they are 18th in yards against and 17th in points allowed, seems pretty close to league average to me. This after going the last 10 weeks last year of being league averagish as well. 

Well those first seven weeks of last year still count. Can't just pick arbitrary points

And not sure where you are getting your stats for this year. They are 5th worst scoring in the league this year 

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Presumably, with at least some input from Glenn, they chose to bring back Charles Harris, Romeo Okwara, Isiah Buggs along the front 4. They chose to make Charles Harris a cornerstone of their pass rush. They chose not to make any meaningful upgrades along their defensive line this offseason and thought the personnel they had was satisfactory. They chose to pass on Tyree Wilson, Jalen Carter, Jordan Davis, Nolen Smith, etc. They chose to use a top 20 pick on a player with low positional value, after they chose to resign Alex Anzalone to a nice contract. They chose to spend a 2nd round pick on Levi and Josh Paschal, and a 3rd round pick on Melifonwu. Again, I would presume Glenn had input on these personnel moves.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Just now, KL2 said:

Well those first seven weeks of last year still count. Can't just pick arbitrary points

And not sure where you are getting your stats for this year. They are 5th worst scoring in the league this year 

Yes those first weeks count but the point was that you said they've yet to come close to playing at league average so I'm saying that they did for over 2 months last year and have for the first 2 weeks thus far so for a 12+ game span they have been. Also it wasn't an arbitrary thing, they fired a coach and made some rumored coverage and scheme changes by doing so. And they're 5th worst in points against but that is points allowed period by the team, points allowed by the defense they are 18th. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yes those first weeks count but the point was that you said they've yet to come close to playing at league average so I'm saying that they did for over 2 months last year and have for the first 2 weeks thus far so for a 12+ game span they have been. Also it wasn't an arbitrary thing, they fired a coach and made some rumored coverage and scheme changes by doing so. And they're 5th worst in points against but that is points allowed period by the team, points allowed by the defense they are 18th. 

Ah got it. OK so take away 3 points per game moves them to below average instead of bad this year. Still seems splitting hairs but fine. They are just below average. As i said league average would be great. 

And sorry if i missed, but the coordinator was the same for those first seven games and set up the rumored coverage and schemes did he not? He's still employed right? They only got rid of the defensive back coach. But yet you are giving Glenn a complete pass for those awful games that count and putting it all on a guy who was a position coach to prove some weird point that Glenn is just below average instead of his actual bad.

And you can argue about lesser players, but what has glenn done to make them better or put them in position to succeed. Doesn't seem like much. 

Edited by KL2

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

Ah got it. OK so take away 3 points per game moves them to below average instead of bad this year. Still seems splitting hairs but fine. They are just below average. As i said league average would be great. 

And sorry if i missed, but the coordinator was the same for those first seven games and set up the rumored coverage and schemes did he not? He's still employed right? They only got rid of the defensive back coach. But yet you are giving Glenn a complete pass for those awful games that count and putting it all on a guy who was a position coach to prove some weird point that Glenn is just below average instead of his actual bad.

And you can argue about lesser players, but what has glenn done to make them better or put them in position to succeed. Doesn't seem like much. 

I'm not giving him a complete pass, just saying that there was atleast a tangible move that was made or difference made that could explain the difference so by doing so that doesn't make it completely arbitrary start point.