Week Three: Atlanta Falcons (2-0) @ Detroit Lions (1-1)

MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, buddha said:

because he was terrible for a couple years until johnson took over.  he was benched in LA a couple times because he was so bad and his first year here was awful.

goff had a couple good seasons with mcvay too.  i understand your point, but i do think its not unfair to wonder if goff's resurgence has a least a little bit to do with johnson.

i think its a combination of goff being a smart qb, johnson being a good play caller, and the talent around goff being upgraded (st brown in particular).

Of course the combo works well together but Goff isn't all of a sudden going to crumble when Ben leaves unless Brad Holmes, Dan Campbell, Sewell, Decker, Ragnow, Jackson, Amon Ra etc. are leaving with him.

Also, it's not like Goff has this uber-talented cast either. He's had Amon Ra along with a bunch of cast-offs the last few years and now this year with an upgraded RB room, LaPorta added in and hopefully a dynamic Jamo later this season but lacking real weapons in the interim. He hasn't had a fully healthy offensive line since 2 years ago either, they played together 1+ games which was the opener this year and part of the Seattle game so it's not like he's had a super supporting cast. 

Also, just to add, he had a great 2nd half of his 1st season here once Checkdown Lynn was turfed so it's more like a 1/2 a bad season and an excellent season and a half afterwards.

Edited by NYLion

The only fear I may have with Goff going forward is how he might fair if/when our o line isnt as good as it is now. 

He gave me some concerns Sunday after he missed a bunch of different throws after he was starting to get pressured but that could just be a bad half that happened to coincide with the pressure or it could be that he hasnt been pressured like that in awhile so it made him especially flustered. 

We already saw how Goff looks with a weak OL and poor running game. About like Joe Burrow looked in week one. 

Hendon Hooker is eligible to come off the injury list in week 5. Whether he will or not remains to be seen. This will give the staff the opportunity to see if Hooker can do all the things Goff can — including off the field and in the huddle — as well as making the throws. This is hard to do which is why the guys who can do it consistently are getting paid over $40 million these days. If Hooker proves he can do all this and extend plays too, that would be something. 

22 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

As long as Johnson is his OC. They seem to click pretty well. I could see Johnson molding a new QB to be as good as, or better, than Goff.

you'll have to see it somewhere else because johnson is almost assuredly going to get a hc gig next season.

then again, i thought he would leave after this year so what do i know?

39 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

As long as Johnson is his OC. They seem to click pretty well. I could see Johnson molding a new QB to be as good as, or better, than Goff.

Well, Goff has proven to be good without Johnson while Johnson hasn't proved to be good without Goff so not sure why you have more faith in Johnson than Goff. I think some of you are going to be pissed (without justification) when Goff gets the big extension.

Edited by NYLion

It was already almost guaranteed to happen, but now that the offensive whiz in Miami put up 70, some owner is going to give Ben Johnson an offer he cannot refuse. I hope it is in the AFC. (Chargers?) Anyway, we should accept that this season is Johnson’s last hurrah with Detroit. Many years from now we will look back at him as the first member of the Dan Campbell coaching tree. 

4 hours ago, NYLion said:

Well, Goff has proven to be good without Johnson while Johnson hasn't proved to be good without Goff so not sure why you have more faith in Johnson than Goff. I think some of you are going to be pissed (without justification) when Goff gets the big extension.

he's also been **** without johnson so....

Goff was **** in Detroit when he was brand new here, learning a new system and new roster, most of which was garbage after the FO had torn the team down nearly to the studs, and many of the good players who remained got injured. His best offensive weapon was a rookie. Starting with the Thanksgiving Day game, Goff's last five starts were pretty good: 1,136 yards, 11 TDs and 2 INTs for a Passer Rating of 108.3. He was good all of 2022, and has been good thus far in 2023. I'm not sure why so many people are convinced that Goff is more likely the QB of his first 9 games with a new team, scheme and roster rather than the QB of the 25 games since. Do we honestly believe that Dan Campbell will hire an OC with an appreciably different philosophy from that of Ben Johnson when the time comes to replace him? Because I don't think he will.

• Like 1