Week Three: Atlanta Falcons (2-0) @ Detroit Lions (1-1)

MichiganCardinal

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

if the chargers had lost that game, i think there is a good chance he's fired before monday.

I think it’s the right call. Less than a yard and the games over when your defense struggles to get stops.  Plus if the Vikings do score you’d likely have time on the clock with the short field.

Problem is the 4th down call. Same as the lions. I would assume going into the drive they knew if they got to 4th and short they would go for it. And their best play is to allow the Vikings to stack the box and call a dive for a FB?  It’s generic and poor execution. That call is bad. That’s in kellen Moore probably.

Staley isn’t a great coach, but I liked the call to go for it. If you need 1 yard to win the game I always prefer going for it. 

29 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The analytics agreed with Staley's decision. 

Analytics dont call plays though.  That’s the thing.  Relying on analytics means nothing if you execute poorly and call bad plays.  The FB dive shouldn’t exist anymore.  Lions found that out too. Spread em out and it off from under center.  Always.  

Edited by TP_Fan

Seattle scores 37 again. The panthers will struggle to win games this season.  Bad roster.  Bryce young will be good though I think.

how about Jacksonville?  Everyone kept saying how good they were this offseason and how they the next it team. Got lit up by the Texans at home today.  

Jacksonville's struggles is surprising to me, I was one of those people that thought they were gonna be a good team this year. I guess it is just another example  that progress you made to end the previous years doesn't mean you are going to carry over or progress the next year since that's why myself and I assume the others believers expected big things from them. I just expected their young players to continue to get better but as of now it appears that just hasn't been the case. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jacksonville's struggles is surprising to me, I was one of those people that thought they were gonna be a good team this year. I guess it is just another example  that progress you made to end the previous years doesn't mean you are going to carry over or progress the next year since that's why myself and I assume the others believers expected big things from them. I just expected their young players to continue to get better but as of now it appears that just hasn't been the case. 

I still can’t get over the Jags allowing themselves to get drawn in by the combine numbers of Walker leading up to the draft and taking him over Hutchinson.  That was so fortunate for the lions franchise.  What a horrible call from the franchise. 

I don’t say this lightly. I think I’m usually pretty level-headed and I’ve been on the wait-and-see train for a long time.

I think I’m ready to extend Goff. He’s shown the ability to lead this team to wins in good and in bad, under pressure and not. He’s the rock of this team right now and he’s earned the right to be the face of this franchise. And I think it’s nonsense to think he can’t win it all.

23 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t say this lightly. I think I’m usually pretty level-headed and I’ve been on the wait-and-see train for a long time.

I think I’m ready to extend Goff. He’s shown the ability to lead this team to wins in good and in bad, under pressure and not. He’s the rock of this team right now and he’s earned the right to be the face of this franchise. And I think it’s nonsense to think he can’t win it all.

no need to.  1 more year left and then you can franchise him if you want to.

but he has continued to look good.

I actually think Goff had his worse game in a while.  He just didn't look accurate.  Missed on a couple of big plays.  Was probably more to do with the offensive line (having injuries) and the pressure he was getting.  No big deal though and besides the one interception, he was playing cautious to not make that big mistake.

That is my whole thing with Goff.  He is a great QB when he has time.  I am all about an extension if its a reasonable contract.  I do not want to see this team paying him in the Jackson, Burrow, ....etc range.  I would think 30-35 mill per year would be reasonable for him.  There are some good QBs coming out next year and with Hooker, I think we have some bargaining chips.  No way Goff gets more than that in free agency.  I think he likes the situation here and I don't think the Lions can afford to pay Goff top 5-10 QB money and still keep on being a playoff team.

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I actually think Goff had his worse game in a while.  He just didn't look accurate.  Missed on a couple of big plays.  Was probably more to do with the offensive line (having injuries) and the pressure he was getting.  No big deal though and besides the one interception, he was playing cautious to not make that big mistake.

That is my whole thing with Goff.  He is a great QB when he has time.  I am all about an extension if its a reasonable contract.  I do not want to see this team paying him in the Jackson, Burrow, ....etc range.  I would think 30-35 mill per year would be reasonable for him.  There are some good QBs coming out next year and with Hooker, I think we have some bargaining chips.  No way Goff gets more than that in free agency.  I think he likes the situation here and I don't think the Lions can afford to pay Goff top 5-10 QB money and still keep on being a playoff team.

Goff isn't going to get less than Daniel Jones ($40MM per). I'm not sure he's going to reset the market like so many have, but he's earned a top 5-10 contract that looks like a lot when it's signed and looks much more reasonable two years later.

9 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Same here. He had some wobbly moments yesterday in the 3rd, behind a patchwork offensive line mind you, but he's been performing like an elite QB for the better part of a year and a half outside of two games really Dallas and New England last year when they were ravaged by injuries. 

He has complete command of this offense and I just don't see anybody out there who can come in and be an upgrade on him in THIS offense. I'd extend him right now before he becomes even more expensive.

9 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah... I'm thinking this is a discussion for next year...

Not this year.

The longer you wait, the more expensive he gets unless he falls apart. There's merit to getting it done sooner than later unless the staff doesn't truly believe in him.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

I was very much concerned about the direction of this defensive front and their lack of any sort of ability to generate QB pressure outside of Aiden. They answered back in a big way yesterday. While I don't expect them to get 6-7 sacks every week, I feel better about where there at on the defensive front, if yesterday was any indication. Its nice to see Charles Harris and others not named Aiden step up and get at the QB. I hope the defensive play calling and bringing more than 4 stays as well. I really appreciated Glenn's aggressiveness.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I really appreciated Glenn's aggressiveness.

but the thing with football is that there is never one right answer. Somewhere out there is an offensive coordinator that will have the solutions to using the exact aggressiveness Glenn used this week against him. All teams match-up differently against each other. So it's always cat and mouse, respond and adapt, know and be ready for the fact they they are going to scheme against whatever you show you can do well.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

The longer you wait, the more expensive he gets unless he falls apart. There's merit to getting it done sooner than later unless the staff doesn't truly believe in him.

the bigger question is whether they believe in hendon hooker.

you have goff for next year and - if you want - the year after on a tag if you want to pay it.  should be enough time to evaluate whether hooker is anything more than a backup qb.