Week Three: Atlanta Falcons (2-0) @ Detroit Lions (1-1)

MichiganCardinal

LIONSLOGOGDT.png.a619340da416b3e4628318ed1622b127.png     vs.     falcons.jpeg.fc21e366e50db58ad9dc5f26bdb549c3.jpeg

Setting: 09/24/2023 1:00pm on FOX

Site: Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Weather: Climate Controlled

Opening Spread: Lions -4.0

All-Time Series Record: Lions lead, 25-14

Last Meeting: 12/26/2021, Falcons won 20-16

Atlanta Falcons (2-0)

Head Coach: Arthur Smith (3rd Season: 16-20)

Projected Starting QB: Desmond Ridder (2nd Season: 4-2)

Last Game: 25-24 W v. Green Bay Packers (1-1)

Looking Ahead to Week #4: Sunday v. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-1) in London

falcons_gdt.webp.a30115556b5f9e3027b283f01080d091.webp

Your Detroit Lions (1-1)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (3rd Season: 13-22-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (8th Season: 55-46-1)

Last Game: 37-31 L in OT v. Seattle Seahawks (1-1)

Looking Ahead to Week #4: TNF @ Green Bay Packers (1-1)

falconsgdt2.webp.2e82ebaac7c1fff00ee6b4ea719bae87.webp

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Giants @ 49ers (TNF), Steelers @ Raiders (SNF), Eagles @ Buccaneers (MNF), Rams @ Bengals (MNF)

1:00pm: Colts @ Ravens, Chargers @ Vikings, Titans @ Browns, Texans @ Jaguars, Saints @ Packers, Broncos @ Dolphins, Patriots @ Jets, Bills @ Commanders

4:05/4:25pm: Panthers @ Seahawks, Cowboys @ Cardinals, Bears @ Chiefs

If they lose this game I think all of Detroit the surround Southeast Michigan area will be right back on the SOL bandwagon. I'll be curious to see how this defense, specifically their front 4-7, responds playing this week against their third straight mobile QB. Will McNeill, Levi, Okwara, or Cominsky step up to help out Hutch? Will Atlanta's OLine just double team Hutch and neutralize our ability to get pressure if no one else steps up? Not having any pass rush whatsoever and only rushing 3 or 4 is one of the things, among many others, that killed Patricia's defensive scheme. I'm not saying Glenn is Patricia when it comes to being a defensive coach, but the lack of blitzing and the packages he's sending, continually rushing only a base 4, gives me concern.

• Thanks 1

The Falcons are good and anyone who cries SOL if we lose this game is just being reactionist.

The Falcons offense, between Ridder and Bijan, is hard to defend. Ridder is dangerous when he is allowed to run the ball, but isn't terribly good as passing. He's an NFL QB, so he'll still make the throws that are open in the short to intermediate range. I think they will try to run with Ridder quite a bit and our linebackers will be tested in containing him. That said, they also should have lost to the Packers. Green Bay had a 24-12 lead going into the 4th quarter and were outscored 13-0 in the 4th quarter. Through two games, Atlanta has outscored opponents 27-0 in the 4th quarter, something to be aware of.

Potential for a look-ahead game for both teams. Lions have a short turnaround to travel to Green Bay for Thursday Night, Falcons are traveling to London after this game.

Injuries will play a role here, a little worried to see the report on Wednesday. We already know Houston is out, sounds like Montgomery is too. If Decker and Vaitai are both out as well, I'm very concerned for our rushing game.

35 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The Falcons are good and anyone who cries SOL if we lose this game is just being reactionist.

The Falcons offense, between Ridder and Bijan, is hard to defend. Ridder is dangerous when he is allowed to run the ball, but isn't terribly good as passing. He's an NFL QB, so he'll still make the throws that are open in the short to intermediate range. I think they will try to run with Ridder quite a bit and our linebackers will be tested in containing him. That said, they also should have lost to the Packers. Green Bay had a 24-12 lead going into the 4th quarter and were outscored 13-0 in the 4th quarter. Through two games, Atlanta has outscored opponents 27-0 in the 4th quarter, something to be aware of.

Potential for a look-ahead game for both teams. Lions have a short turnaround to travel to Green Bay for Thursday Night, Falcons are traveling to London after this game.

Injuries will play a role here, a little worried to see the report on Wednesday. We already know Houston is out, sounds like Montgomery is too. If Decker and Vaitai are both out as well, I'm very concerned for our rushing game.

the falcons are not a good team.  theyre in the mushy middle with everyone else (including detroit) but desmond ridder is their qb and hhe's not very good even though he has three very highly skilled position players on his team.

but he can run.  we'll see what the lions can do with that.

a lions loss will very much be SOL.  i suspect the line drops from lions -5.5 (same as seattle), but i bet it drops a bit before sunday.  then packers on the road...

Edited by buddha
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

No they aren't. It's a fair read. Beat the championship on the road then top the next two at home to mid tier teams, at best.

I'd like to see the AG employ a bit more zone in this game.  The way Ridder is going to hurt you is with his legs - & by not having to man up, you will be able to keep receivers covered & watch out for the scramble.  He did that in the 2nd half against Mahomes & it worked.  Why he didn't do it yesterday is beyond me.

I guess "good team" depends on your parameters. I'm not calling the Falcons a top ten team by any means, but they were my pick to win the NFC South, which I don't think is a hot take, especially now that they're 2-0. I also thought we would lose this game when I picked game-by-game preseason. (Though I thought we'd lose to the Chiefs and beat the Seahawks, so grain of salt and all that).

I think it's silly to claim the Lions are SOL if they start 1-2. The Patriots, Chargers, Bengals, and Vikings are all 0-2 teams that could still make the playoffs. Them, plus the Bills, Chiefs, Jaguars, and Seahawks are all teams that could be 1-2 next week, many of whom still look like fairly decent locks for a playoff berth. Hell, we are tied for the lead in the NFC North, and still will be with a loss and Green Bay loss to New Orleans.

Every game in the NFL is a battle and you're going to win some and lose some. You can't go 1-6 and expect to make the playoffs, but I'm confident that wins are coming for this team.

I was listening to Campbell's press conference and this quote stuck out to me. I'm pretty sure I heard it as "reliable playerS" though, as in multiple. This is as close to a call-out as you'll hear Campbell get and I think it's addressed to multiple guys on the defensive front.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

17 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I am tired of hearing how good a player Alim McNeil can be.   I want to start seeing it every week.  

absolutely this.  he might be doing things in the run game we dont see, but he is non-existant getting pressure up the middle.

unlike a guy like, i dont know, jalen carter?

its nice that levi is on the team.  maybe he should start playing football?

The fans just jumping on the bandwagon (and a few trolls) aren't the ones who called them the SOL in the first place. Just watching them and you can tell its a whole new ballgame, these guys are the opposite of the SOL.

Lions are gonna blow the Falcons out. The Falcons have a very good run game but they're getting the Lions at a very bad time. We're hungry and we were embarrassed. 

Edited by Sports_Freak

27 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The fans just jumping on the bandwagon (and a few trolls) aren't the ones who called them the SOL in the first place. Just watching them and you can tell its a whole new ballgame, these guys are the opposite of the SOL.

Lions are gonna blow the Falcons out. The Falcons have a very good run game but they're getting the Lions at a very bad time. We're hungry and we were embarrassed. 

I think you're very right about the top. I sure hope you're right about the bottom.

more than anything, the nfl is about quarterbacks, playmakers, health, and turnovers.  the lions have a pretry decent qb, a couple playmakers, they are not healthy, and they turned the ball over in their last game.

win the turnover battle against atlanta and they'll probably win the game.  if not?  they'll probably lose.

this is a big game.  losing two conferencw games early is not optimal, especially to teams youre going to be competing against for the wild card.

Just now, buddha said:

more than anything, the nfl is about quarterbacks, playmakers, health, and turnovers.  the lions have a pretry decent qb, a couple playmakers, they are not healthy, and they turned the ball over in their last game.

win the turnover battle against atlanta and they'll probably win the game.  if not?  they'll probably lose.

this is a big game.  losing two conferencw games early is not optimal, especially to teams youre going to be competing against for the wild card.

Who are you conceding the division to?

4 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I guess "good team" depends on your parameters. I'm not calling the Falcons a top ten team by any means, but they were my pick to win the NFC South, which I don't think is a hot take, especially now that they're 2-0. I also thought we would lose this game when I picked game-by-game preseason. (Though I thought we'd lose to the Chiefs and beat the Seahawks, so grain of salt and all that).

I think it's silly to claim the Lions are SOL if they start 1-2. The Patriots, Chargers, Bengals, and Vikings are all 0-2 teams that could still make the playoffs. Them, plus the Bills, Chiefs, Jaguars, and Seahawks are all teams that could be 1-2 next week, many of whom still look like fairly decent locks for a playoff berth. Hell, we are tied for the lead in the NFC North, and still will be with a loss and Green Bay loss to New Orleans.

Every game in the NFL is a battle and you're going to win some and lose some. You can't go 1-6 and expect to make the playoffs, but I'm confident that wins are coming for this team.

Where other teams finish is irrelevant to the sol discussion so about 90 percent of this post is so off on a tangent...