Week Three: Atlanta Falcons (2-0) @ Detroit Lions (1-1)

MichiganCardinal

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If Cousins would have spiked the ball, the Vikings may have won. A rookie mistake from a grizzled veteran.

If you take all the credit during wins then you have to take blame for losses.  

If Kirk were here, I’m sure he’d say this loss is on Jesus.   The all power just wasn’t there and didn’t get it done today.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Team has yet to play a complete game but is 2-1.

Offense was out of sync today with so many changes on OL leading to penalties, and with Calais Campbell wrecking a few plays, but they opened some big holes for Gibbs on the last drive. Defensive line was outstanding. They heard the criticism. Tracy Walker did OK stepping in for CJGJ, but dropped two easy interceptions. 

Tracy Walker put some very hard hits on Atlanta. He's a gamer, for sure. I always liked him. 

37 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Considering the Vikes were down 4 and needing a TD and were in guaranteed 4 down territory, I just don't think there is THAT much difference between having to go 40ish yards or the likely 75 yards if you punted it away. The toughest part for them was always going to be closer to the goal line when the field is condensed. 

Basically the thought of gaining 1 yard and guaranteeing a win was well worth the risk of giving them a shorter field. Not to mention the side benefit of giving them a shorter field is that IF they do score a TD you are likely to get the ball back with more time than if they had to go all the way down the field. 

why do you say 40ish yards?  the chargers were at their own 24 yard line.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

If they think Montgomery will be out beyond the GB game, I’d like to see get some RB depth. Gibbs probably can’t hold up getting 25 rushes a game and Craig Reynolds is not the answer.

Agreed. And that kid they brought up from the practice squad isn't a long term answer. Gibbs is....as Rod Allen said about Jose Altuve...an itty-bitty fella.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

why do you say 40ish yards?  the chargers were at their own 24 yard line.

Oh I thought I saw on twitter that they were at the 40 something yard line, yeah that changes things a bit but still don't think I hate the call. I just think it's so hard to stop offenses when they know they have 4 downs to play with so even if they punted away I think there was a 50/50 chance(same as you picking up the 1 yard and guarantee win) of Minnesota driving right down to the red zone anyway. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah that was a terrible challenge, considering you were gonna have a 3rd and 17 as is I wouldn't have challenged it unless I was almost certain it was a turnover. 

As the announcers said, the people in the booth probably didn't get a good look initially I thought it might be a pick myself. The problem was that Campbell was too quick on the flag. He should have held it for a until they got a better look or the Falcons were about to snap.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It was a penalty but damn Brian Branch is EVERYWHERE!

That seems like a very hard penalty for Branch to take. He was going towards Robinson's chest and then Robinson ducked waaaay down and that's what caused to the helmet to helmet contact. I know in real time it looked bad so I can't fault the ref too much, but really Robinson did more to cause the helmet to helmet hit than Branch did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Packers have scored 18 straight to take the lead.  Carr left with a shoulder injury.  

I'm not too upset by the Packers winning. On one hand, I want them to lose of course, but on the other hand two losses in a row might make them more angry for Thursday. And the only reason they won this game was the Saints QB was out ofr half the game and the Saints missed a pretty average range FG.  

This is a case of not the Packers winning, but that the Saints lost. EDIT TO ADD: Love was 22/44... that's not very good. (I didn't watch the game so I dunno if it was all his fault, but 50% completion isn't not good.)

33 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Oh I thought I saw on twitter that they were at the 40 something yard line, yeah that changes things a bit but still don't think I hate the call. I just think it's so hard to stop offenses when they know they have 4 downs to play with so even if they punted away I think there was a 50/50 chance(same as you picking up the 1 yard and guarantee win) of Minnesota driving right down to the red zone anyway. 

Don't agree, would never agree. Charges got lucky the Vikings luck got all used up last year. It was a horrible coaching mistake.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

On a desperation last play. Spike the ball and there's time for 2 plays. It may have been a totally different play call. Rookie mistake, the downs didn't matter.

The ball was snapped with 12 seconds.  It was late, but they had another play minimum.  They should have gone faster though.