09/28/2023 TBD Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Ahh, I missed that. So basically on pace for a 45 homer season that year.

I believe he was leading the league in the triple crown before he got hurt. one year, anyway would have been legend.

Also, Kirk Giibson was hurt one season and had 27 hr's in like 120 games.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Back to Kaline, he hit 25 in 1967 but broke his hand when he angrily slammed his bat into the bat rack after striking out.  He missed 26 games, the dumbass, and cost the Tigers the pennant.

He also broke his collarbone in the outfield in 63 or 64. I remember watching it happen on TV. 

Just now, Jim Cowan said:

Yes that was 62, he would have hit 45 home runs that year.  An attempt at a diving catch...do you remember if he caught it?

I just remember being crestfallen when he didn’t get up. One of my other great TV memories is when the Tigers were playing the Yankees in Yankee stadium and the bases were loaded and Hank Aguirre came up, and the Yankees were insulting toward him and they pulled the outfielders into the infield and he hit a ball over their heads and it rolled to the monuments and he got a triple   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Looking at the standings, it looks like Harris made a mistake worrying about controlling the strike zone. The better teams all score more runs than they give up. Maybe we should concentrate on giving up less runs and scoring more. Cutting edge stuff there....😅

I've never liked the 'control the zone' mantra for hitters because it misses the point. That is the outcome you want, but you don't get there by telling guys to "swing at strikes." Every hitter thinks every pitch he swings at is going to be a strike - the problem is the pitch fools him. The last thing you want is to paralyze hitters having them wait too long to make a decision because they are trying not to be wrong. Then they miss everything  - you get a tentative hitter like Tork was last season who couldn't pull the trigger on a middle-middle fastball. If you want control of the zone, you have to give guys tools to allow them to wait longer and still get the bat there in time. Or like Torkelson - just get them to where they slow the game down enough so the talent they have can work. Then you will get better control of the zone, and a hitter that is also less tentative instead of more. You never want the hitter thinking about his decision - it always has to be see ball/hit ball. Clearly the Tigers do coach guys on how to be quicker to the ball, so I suppose my compliant may be more the rhetoric than the reality, but it still bugs me when Hinch says a guy 'has to be more selective' like there was some kind of knob under the guy's cap he can just turn to the next setting to do that.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I just remember being crestfallen when he didn’t get up. One of my other great TV memories is when the Tigers were playing the Yankees in Yankee stadium and the bases were loaded and Hank Aguirre came up, and the Yankees were insulting toward him and they pulled the outfielders into the infield and he hit a ball over their heads and it rolled to the monuments and he got a triple   

And the story was that Hank then threatened to steal home, and Tony Cuccinello, the third base coach, says to him, “Hank, it took you 13 years to get here, so don’t fool around!”

• Thanks 1