Week Five: Carolina Panthers (0-4) @ Detroit Lions (3-1)

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

brock purdy and jared goff have two of the best play callers in the nfl calling plays for them.

/ducks

(they still have to execute the plays...)

I think they're both prime examples of why it's stupid to sell the farm for Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson, or Russell Wilson. Build a supporting cast and you can install a lot of quarterbacks.

Having a good play caller helps, but if they have an oil-and-vinegar relationship, they won't go far either (see: Goff and McVay).

Edited by MichiganCardinal
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think they're both prime examples of why it's stupid to sell the farm for Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson, or Russell Wilson. Build a supporting cast and you can install a lot of quarterbacks.

Having a good play caller helps, but if they have an oil-and-vinegar relationship, they won't go far either (see: Goff and McVay).

would you trade the farm for patrick mahomes or prime tom brady?

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

would you trade the farm for patrick mahomes or prime tom brady?

Is "the farm" draft picks or is it guys like Hutch, ASB, and Sewell? The former, probably. The latter, probably not... but maybe for Mahomes.... As long as he doesn't bring Taylor Swift with him.

It's not really a fair question though. Guys who are actually untouchable don't get traded. Prime Brady or Mahomes aren't getting traded the way Rodgers, Watson, and Wilson were.

Things change all the time in the NFL so who knows what the trend will be 5 years from now but currently I think we are trending towards not needing the elite QB that can do everything to win based on how offenses are calling plays now. The trend now play calling across the league(with some exceptions) is shorter developing plays where you get your play makers in space, generally on 10-15 yard crossing patterns. Those play designs in turn make throws easier for your QB.

You just don't see as many vertical downfield throws or throws to the sideline from the other hash ie the throws that require a cannon, or throws where you have to fit in tight windows.

I posted Goff's stats but he also leads the league in downfield throws(20+), downfield completions and downfield completion percentage. If you watch the Lions it's not like they are constantly throwing down the field yet they are doing it the most in football, that's because teams just aren't doing it that much anymore. 

Also teams just aren't throwing it as much anymore on a per game basis, 3 years ago 22 teams averaged 35+ pass attempts a game, this year that number is down to 8. Teams are starting to slow the game down with quicker/shorter completions that keep the clock running and running the ball. 

So to sum it up, sure it would be great to have a QB that can do everything but I think we are getting to the point where what you want most is a smart QB that can process things quickly and can throw an accurate ball, almost like the "game manager" type, if he can do more great but it's not as necessary as it was not too long ago. But again things change quickly so who knows if this is going to be a short trend or something that lasts 10 years. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

53 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If you watch the Lions it's not like they are constantly throwing down the field yet they are doing it the most in football, that's because teams just aren't doing it that much anymore. 

Part of this is that the value of possession has gone up. I think the reason long passing is dying out is because it was never high percentage, but today's QBs can hit 70%  completion rates throwing the short and intermediate routes, and that means you keep the ball, and that is everything in today's game.  You have to score, and you need the ball to score. Go back a generation I'd guess there were more punts, each possession was worth less, low percentage plays with high return like the long pass made more sense. Go back 2 generations and you had the old clock rules that made the game much longer and single possession even less important. So it's been a very long term trend in one direction, and it takes years for players and coaches that came up in different circumstances to all either change their ways or retire....

LOL - sort of the inverse of the disappearance of the mid-range jumper in the NBA, which still hung around decades after the 3 pt shot came in.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

There are many ways to win in this league.  Obviously if you get a Manning, Mahomes, Brady, ...etc. you don't have to have a complete team.  A great QB makes others around them look better.  The question also is what makes a QB great.  The biggest thing to me is they are obsessed to make themselves better every off season.  Talent doesn't do it alone.  MJ had ridiculous talent although what made him the GOAT was the absolute obsession to be the best.  It's actually almost a mental disorder and only a few come along every generation.  When you have those type players (especially QB) your teams will be in conversation for the super bowl every year.  Another way to win is with a great OL/DL.  If you can give your QB time and the opposing QB less time you will give your team a chance to win every week.  Another way to win is having an absolute dominant defense or offense (EX: Balt, Bears for defense and Rams, NE, SF for offense) they can win by dominating on one side of the ball every week.  Another way is having a GM/coach (and good coordinators) combination that is on the same page. Making good decisions, and play calls.  Or a combination of the above ways to win.

I think the Lions have a great OL and great GM/Coaches. That is why this team will be good for a while.