Week Five: Carolina Panthers (0-4) @ Detroit Lions (3-1)

LIONSLOGOGDT.png.32990a9a03e3d7a64fac5c24907d9566.png          vs.          pantherslogo.png.9092e5d1971e4d183b51c059f0de22b6.png

Setting: 10/08/2023 1:00pm on FOX

Site: Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Weather: Climate Controlled

Opening Spread: Lions -7.5

All-Time Series Record: Panthers lead, 8-3

Last Meeting: 12/24/2022, Panthers won 37-23

Carolina Panthers (0-4)

Head Coach: Frank Reich (6th Season: 40-37-1)

Projected Starting QB: Bryce Young (1st Season: 0-4)

Last Game: 21-13 L v. Minnesota Vikings (1-3)

Looking Ahead to Week #6: Sunday @ Miami Dolphins (3-1)

panthers_gdt.thumb.jpeg.5f03013ce450395def4d2b45e3cf39ba.jpeg

Your Detroit Lions (3-1)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (3rd Season: 15-22-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (8th Season: 57-46-1)

Last Game: 34-20 W @ Green Bay Packers (2-2)

Looking Ahead to Week #6: Sunday @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-1)

lions_panthers_gdt.thumb.jpeg.64e8d12f7ce527f8a636e19282204cf9.jpeg

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Bears @ Commanders (TNF), Cowboys @ 49ers (SNF), Packers @ Raiders (MNF)

9:30am: Jaguars @ Bills (London)

1:00pm: Texans @ Falcons, Titans @ Colts, Giants @ Dolphins, Saints @ Patriots, Ravens @ Steelers

4:05/4:25pm: Bengals @ Cardinals, Eagles @ Rams, Jets @ Broncos, Chiefs @ Vikings

Bye: Browns, Chargers, Seahawks, and Buccaneers

I’m flying from Minnesota to Detroit on Thursday.  Staying with my buddies through Monday.  Plan is to go to the game on Sunday.  Tailgate before.  So I’ll be absent from the GDT, sorry to disappoint.  Tickets are expensive!  Guess that’s what happens when your team is good. 

I'm having flashbacks to last year.  That is the game that really got to me because I was counting it as a win.  Home game and having a rookie QB on the road should result in a big win although it still makes me nervous.  We could not stop the run.

I still say the Lions had footwear problems that game and didn't bring the right spikes.

Reason I say that is that it ended up being unseasonably cold for Carolina so the field played different than it otherwise would which was why you saw the Lions having so much trouble with their footing.

They probably would've lost anyway but I think if they came prepared with the right gear it wouldn't have looked as bad. 

53 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm having flashbacks to last year.  That is the game that really got to me because I was counting it as a win.  Home game and having a rookie QB on the road should result in a big win although it still makes me nervous.  We could not stop the run.

The Lions aren't losing this game, not THESE Lions. I'll actually be surprised if it's anything less than a double digit win. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I still say the Lions had footwear problems that game and didn't bring the right spikes.

Reason I say that is that it ended up being unseasonably cold for Carolina so the field played different than it otherwise would which was why you saw the Lions having so much trouble with their footing.

They probably would've lost anyway but I think if they came prepared with the right gear it wouldn't have looked as bad. 

I agree field conditions, footware we're part of the problem (we were in Raleigh that weekend and remember nasty sleet that Sunday as we were  heading for Hilton Head)

I think the Lions will use the loss as a motivator this weekend. Playing indoors and home is sure to help.

7 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

I’m flying from Minnesota to Detroit on Thursday.  Staying with my buddies through Monday.  Plan is to go to the game on Sunday.  Tailgate before.  So I’ll be absent from the GDT, sorry to disappoint.  Tickets are expensive!  Guess that’s what happens when your team is good. 

If you want to send me a list of prepared replies, I'll post 'em for you.  We'll set up a system where each reply has a number and you can just text me a number and I'll post it. 🙂

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NYLion said:

The Lions aren't losing this game, not THESE Lions. I'll actually be surprised if it's anything less than a double digit win. 

You have to remember that there's always the chance of a dog-**** game. That happens to even the best of teams playing even the worst of them. Look no further than the Lions game against Arizona two years ago. I certainly don't expect the Lions to lose... they definitely shouldn't. But it could happen...

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

If you want to send me a list of prepared replies, I'll post 'em for you.  We'll set up a system where each reply has a number and you can just text me a number and I'll post it. 🙂

"ben johnson sucks"

"how does this idiot have a job?"

"we have the worst coaching staff in the league!"

"if ben johnson isnt fired at halftime then dan campbell is the worst head coach in football"

its chatgTP!

• Haha 3

Just now, RedRamage said:

You have to remember that there's always the chance of a dog-**** game. That happens to even the best of teams playing even the worst of them. Look no further than the Lions game against Arizona two years ago. I certainly don't expect the Lions to lose... they definitely shouldn't. But it could happen...

look no further than arizona beating dallas two weeks ago.

8 hours ago, RedRamage said:

"Any Given Sunday" as they say but not THIS Sunday my friend. The Lions will not only win but this won't be in doubt by the 4th quarter, book it.

13 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

did we just get the invite to the cool kids’ table? Just act cool. Just act cool.

I honestly don't like it... for purely personal reasons. I like the routine of Sunday afternoon games. Late afternoon isn't too bad, but still... Sunday afternoon's were made for football.

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I honestly don't like it... for purely personal reasons. I like the routine of Sunday afternoon games. Late afternoon isn't too bad, but still... Sunday afternoon's were made for football.

I dislike the product of Thursday night football, but I love watching the Lions in prime time. I’m usually focused on something else in that 4:30 window  

I feel like Thursday football should be a treat, maybe not just for Thanksgiving, but not every week.