Week Five: Carolina Panthers (0-4) @ Detroit Lions (3-1)

I am glad that Mosely is practicing, but I'll believe it when I see it with him. I've felt like we were anticipating him coming back for a couple of weeks now. Really excited to see Decker and Hal Vaitai practicing. That would be great to have a fully healthy Oline moving forward, something we've rarely had.

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I am glad that Mosely is practicing, but I'll believe it when I see it with him. I've felt like we were anticipating him coming back for a couple of weeks now. Really excited to see Decker and Hal Vaitai practicing. That would be great to have a fully healthy Oline moving forward, something we've rarely had.

If he is practicing he is definitely playing on Sunday.  Adding a good corner is huge. 

10 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

If he is practicing he is definitely playing on Sunday.  Adding a good corner is huge. 

I would agree that he will definitely be playing... but to what level is the question. If this is the first week he's been really able to go full speed (or near it) it may take a while for him to be fully set with the Lions defense and be able to mesh well. Sunday may be essentially his first pre-season game.

So we might see a 70% or 80% Mosely has he get back into fully physical, mental, scheme, team condition. So, is 70% or 80% (or whatever number I pull out of my backside) Mosely better than 100% Jacobs? Maybe. But will be he be significantly better? I kinda doubt it. I expect improvement over Jacobs, but "light years" better this week.

Fwiw Jacobs has the lowest qb rating against when targeted on the whole team and one of the better ones in football. Of course that doesnt factor in all the penalties that he has been called against him but still atleast according to the stats he hasnt been as bad as we like to think. 

With Jacobs and the lowest QB rating against stat, part of that is due to all the pressure the Lions have been getting on the QB forcing bad throws or no throws at all. Jacobs was getting torched in the first few weeks against better QBs and when the Lions pass rush was stymied. On the other hand, QBs don't even bother throwing to Sutton's side most of the time probably at least partly due to Jacobs being on the other side and partly because Sutton is good.

Jacobs has played well the last few weeks but Moseley is a clear upgrade. Moseley might even be better than Sutton.

Edited by NYLion

22 hours ago, sagnam said:

I love Thursday and Monday football. And I like that it's a single game.

I like that the Bears are on Thursday, the Packers are on Monday, and the Bears are on at 3:25pm, so the Lions noon game will definitely play on the local Fox affiliate, which prioritizes the Lions fourth of four teams in the NFC Norris as far as deciding which game to telecast when there is a time conflict.

14 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I would agree that he will definitely be playing... but to what level is the question. If this is the first week he's been really able to go full speed (or near it) it may take a while for him to be fully set with the Lions defense and be able to mesh well. Sunday may be essentially his first pre-season game.

So we might see a 70% or 80% Mosely has he get back into fully physical, mental, scheme, team condition. So, is 70% or 80% (or whatever number I pull out of my backside) Mosely better than 100% Jacobs? Maybe. But will be he be significantly better? I kinda doubt it. I expect improvement over Jacobs, but "light years" better this week.

Well, Campbell already said he and Jaymo would be limited to a certain amount of snaps. 

13 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

No. He will be on a pitch count. Limited plays. At least, according to Campbell. Get a lead and then run the ball behind a massive OL.

I wonder how Jamo will fit into the offense long term. The Lions are not a team that is built to take deep shots although they did take a few with Chark and Raymond last year and the staff asks a lot of their receivers in terms of blocking so I wonder if Jamo fits into that culture. He didn't have an issue getting his nose dirty at Alabama (you kind of have to be that way under Saban) so hopefully that translates.

I just wonder because apparently he was struggling to grasp the playbook in Training Camp and preseason so we'll see. A part of me thinks that he'd be a better fit in an offense like Miami, KC or Dallas where there's more freedom allowed to their receivers.

Edited by NYLion

I’m excited to see Kalif Raymond take on ASB’s role in the offense.   He’s been able to step up with big catches when called upon the past two years.  For a guy that was initially signed for his return game, his growth as a dependable slot WR has been impressive.   

Edited by Hongbit
  • Thanks 1

I just heard a radio caller earlier call some Lions fans "s.o.l.f. scared old lions fans" and I got a chuckle out of it cause it's true. Its like some fans are just too afraid to actually come to the realization that this team is good.

I say that not cause of anybody here really but just many people I see on social media and callers on the radio. This morning a caller called in and said the Lions were gonna lose cause they lost to Carolina last year and got shutout by them like 5 years ago. Like I can maybe see citing last year even though both teams are different but jeez 5 years has absolutely no berring on this week's game.

It just goes back to folks being too afraid or just not willing to just accept the fact this team is a really good football team.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I just heard a radio caller earlier call some Lions fans "s.o.l.f. scared old lions fans" and I got a chuckle out of it cause it's true. Its like some fans are just too afraid to actually come to the realization that this team is good.

SOLF... that's terribly appropriate! I'll own that moniker. I really started following the Lions in the 90s and they seemed almost on the verge of breaking out, but it never happened. Then we got Ross... and it seem maybe... in 1999 we started out 6-2... Heck, we beat the St. Louis Rams. One of only three teams to do it that year. But then the second half of 1999 fell apart.

But... front office make over! We got this guy Millen who was a breathe of fresh air and was gonna turn things around. Except Mornhinweg was a joke as an HC... oh but wait: The pride of the State of Michigan with a proven track record, Mariucci was coming! Except he failed. Then Marinelli... oh wait, 0-16. 

Then it was this Schwartz guy who the players seemed to love... in his third year he got us to 10-6. Okay... except them it all fell apart. Caldwell? Not very exciting, but... whoa! 11-5 in his first year here? Except them we slipped into perennial middle of the pack. Patricia? Eh... there was never a major up with him.

Now we got Campbell and everything is looking great. But I've seen this before. I saw it in 1999, I saw it in 2011, I saw it in 2014... I've seen great years and great starts that have all gone to nothing... so yeah, SOLF is very appropriate. Intellectually I know: Different coach, different players, different front office. Intellectually I know that this isn't the SOL. But emotionally? Yeah, I'm still feeling like the other shoe is gonna drop any day now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

SOLF... that's terribly appropriate! I'll own that moniker. I really started following the Lions in the 90s and they seemed almost on the verge of breaking out, but it never happened. Then we got Ross... and it seem maybe... in 1999 we started out 6-2... Heck, we beat the St. Louis Rams. One of only three teams to do it that year. But then the second half of 1999 fell apart.

But... front office make over! We got this guy Millen who was a breathe of fresh air and was gonna turn things around. Except Mornhinweg was a joke as an HC... oh but wait: The pride of the State of Michigan with a proven track record, Mariucci was coming! Except he failed. Then Marinelli... oh wait, 0-16. 

Then it was this Schwartz guy who the players seemed to love... in his third year he got us to 10-6. Okay... except them it all fell apart. Caldwell? Not very exciting, but... whoa! 11-5 in his first year here? Except them we slipped into perennial middle of the pack. Patricia? Eh... there was never a major up with him.

Now we got Campbell and everything is looking great. But I've seen this before. I saw it in 1999, I saw it in 2011, I saw it in 2014... I've seen great years and great starts that have all gone to nothing... so yeah, SOLF is very appropriate. Intellectually I know: Different coach, different players, different front office. Intellectually I know that this isn't the SOL. But emotionally? Yeah, I'm still feeling like the other shoe is gonna drop any day now.

my first lions memory was starting 4-0 and billy sims on the cover of sports illustrated...

you'll have to excuse us old fogies if were not going to be convinced about the lions until we see it.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I say that not cause of anybody here really but just many people I see on social media and callers on the radio. This morning a caller called in and said the Lions were gonna lose cause they lost to Carolina last year and got shutout by them like 5 years ago. Like I can maybe see citing last year even though both teams are different but jeez 5 years has absolutely no berring on this week's game.

It just goes back to folks being too afraid or just not willing to just accept the fact this team is a really good football team.

Well, to be fair...  they're only 4 games in. It's really early - they still have 13 more to play. It's a good start but again, the Lions haven't really done anything except not suck so far. We'll see where things are at the end of November. And I think I'll hold off calling them a "really good football team" until they actually WIN something first