October 2023 Games

lordstanley

Wings still way too soft closing out points in their own end, and I'd love to know Lalonde's thinking on Veleno being out their on the 6 on 5. He was making it look more like 6 on 4......

Petry could have cost them the game twice late but the refs swallowed their whistle for him. Lalonde says the D is now 7 deep. I'd say so far it's more like 7 middle of the pool. 

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Wings still way too soft closing out points in their own end, and I'd love to know Lalonde's thinking on Veleno being out their on the 6 on 5. He was making it look more like 6 on 4......

Petry could have cost them the game twice late but the refs swallowed their whistle for him. Lalonde says the D is now 7 deep. I'd say so far it's more like 7 middle of the pool. 

are you ever happy?

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

are you ever happy?

LOL - I'm plenty happy they won, but I'd be happier still if they started looking more like a potential playoff team. They are at the point where they are much more fun to watch than 2-3 years ago, but that just means the expectations have been whetted. This team still needs a lot of work. Other than Larkin's line they looked slow - the rest of them will need to skate (read "work")  harder to keep up with all the teams that skate as well or better than Tampa. And I think folks that have bought the company line that the D has been upgraded in a major way are going to be disappointed. I expect it won't be the same 7 on the roster by mid-season.

Edited by gehringer_2

54 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Reimer looked alright in the pre-season but was absolutely horrid last season.  I have no idea what to expect.  The Detroit defense has been allowing some high quality chances so it should be interesting.

I've seen Sieder force his man to the outside on a breakaway rush where all Husso had to do was handle the shot from the outside and the shooter still beat him. That's not real stellar goal tending either  - so we'll see. I think the job is open to anyone that steps up to claim it.

Edited by gehringer_2

49 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've seen Sieder force his man to the outside on a breakaway rush where all Husso had to do was handle the shot from the outside and the shooter still beat him. That's not real stellar goal tending either  - so we'll see. I think the job is open to anyone that steps up to claim it.

Agreed, Husso has let in some shaky goals.  I think it is still his crease barring a total meltdown though.  He has also made some huge stops so I hope he cleans up the bad angle stuff.  I would have liked to see Lyon get this game honestly.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

ive also seen seider get beat a couple times already.  imo seider is off to another slow start but doesnt have chairot to blame it on this time.

husso has been "fine."  not great, not terrible.  "fine."

1 hour ago, buddha said:

imo seider is off to another slow start

yup - he doesn't seem to be playing with the pace I think he can. But I also wonder is some of this isn't the way Lalonde is using him. I wasn't watching that close but it seems he's keeping his minutes down early in the game and then keeping him out there a lot at the end. That's probably a tough assignment for a young player. I'd almost like to see Lalonde say "Moritz, I'm going to hold you to 23 (or whatever) minutes a game, so don't worry about pacing yourself for longer minutes."

Edited by gehringer_2