October 2023 Games

lordstanley

12 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

They were already on the power play so that's what got cancelled out by the goal unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean

right. Mickey and Daniels were so busy talking about Skittles they hadn't mentioned Det was already on the PP. So the goal cancelled out the balance of that one and the hook/slash was assessed. One goal only cancels one penalty.

6 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

It’s hilarious that players can start boxing in middle of a game. Imagine any other sport where play stops and two players just go at it. 

I was a little surprised that when they took so long to size each other up that the officials didn't take that opportunity to stop them before they started. The league is so schizophrenic about fighting in the game. The attitude changes from season to season and sometimes month to month.

that was the red wings' most complete victory in a while.  

as noted, if theyre going to win it will be with depth and that's how theyre winning.  strong forward play defensively and collective offense.  theyre turning teams over on the forecheck and getting the puck back.  they can get the puck out of their own zone much better than in previous years.

pittsburgh and ottawa coming up will be good measuring sticks.  different teams than new jersey for sure.

the other promising sign is the top line.  larkin-debrincat-raymond has been a solid first line with debrincat playing really well.  how a line with debrincat and raymond holds up against a bigger forechecking team on the road remains to be seen.  they might need to break that up with a bigger forward at times.

the defense is still a work in progress but gothisbere and holl have been decent so far.  mistakes have been from maata, seider, and (of course) chairot.  given their age, i expect some injuries and to see lots of edvinsson at some point this year.

or to see him traded for a star...

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

gothisbere and holl have been decent so far. 

Gotisbehere did seem to be everywhere. Holl shows a little flair on his skates for a big guy. Doesn't guarantee anything about his quality of play but always nice to see a bit of plus skating out there. You notice Petry was not out there tonight. I'll leave it at that. 

> they might need to break that up with a bigger forward at times.

seems likely

At least to far, the Wings seem to be getting away from playing such a simple game, which I think is a good sign. It was like under Blashill he didn't want them playing anything but dead simple hockey. That's fine to limit how bad the losses a bad team is going to suffer are going to get, but if you start getting skilled players you need to start seeing skill level play - less dump and chase, more sophisticated passing schemes, more effort to retain possession instead of just constantly clearing the puck back to the opposition.  And yes - it can sometimes backfire, but you can't beat good teams without playing a higher level game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

At least to far, the Wings seem to be getting away from playing such a simple game, which I think is a good sign. It was like under Blashill he didn't want them playing anything but dead simple hockey. That's fine to limit how bad the losses a bad team is going to suffer are going to get, but if you start getting skilled players you need to start seeing skill level play - less dump and chase, more sophisticated passing schemes, more effort to retain possession instead of just constantly clearing the puck back to the opposition.  And yes - it can sometimes backfire, but you can't beat good teams without playing a higher level game.

+1 on this...

The Wings are becoming more skilled upfront, but I would still rate the goaltending tandem as league average or worse and the 7 defensemen (even with the added depth) as a group decidedly below league average. That puts a ceiling on this team. Seider and Walman are good NHL defensemen, Maata is pretty good. Edvinsson might be pretty good shortly after being called up. So we need at least two of Petry, Holl, Gostisbehere and Chiarot to "not suck" - I'm not sure that's a given.

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The Wings are becoming more skilled upfront, but I would still rate the goaltending tandem as league average or worse and the 7 defensemen (even with the added depth) as a group decidedly below league average. That puts a ceiling on this team. Seider and Walman are good NHL defensemen, Maata is pretty good. Edvinsson might be pretty good shortly after being called up. So we need at least two of Petry, Holl, Gostisbehere and Chiarot to "not suck" - I'm not sure that's a given.

spot on. OTOH, you never know when a goalie might just surprise you for a season - so we can hope for that.

Edited by gehringer_2