The Gaza War

gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Why does Biden not pressure Egypt to do anything? I get everyone wants Israel to chage its tactics but Egypt could really bring some humanitarian relief.

He absolutely should and Egypt should be receiving international pressure and condemnation for closing off their border and doing next to nothing to help refugees in Gaza.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He absolutely should and Egypt should be receiving international pressure and condemnation for closing off their border and doing next to nothing to help refugees in Gaza.

They should also be recieving more pressure on social media as well

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Setting aside the whatabouts, the point is that, contrary to your earlier assertion, a respected organization has just in the last two weeks removed Israel from its list of liberal democracies for the first time in fifty years.

Fine. Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East. Unfortunately I didn't know two weeks ago a publication decided Israel was not a liberal democracy for the first time in 50 years. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

9 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Why does Biden not pressure Egypt to do anything? I get everyone wants Israel to chage its tactics but Egypt could really bring some humanitarian relief.

Poland immediately took in 2 million Ukranian refugees. That would pretty much be all of Gaza. The Middle East doesn't want Hamas. They only support them when they attack Israel. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Fine. Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East. Unfortunately I didn't know two weeks ago a publication decided Israel was not a liberal democracy for the first time in 50 years. 

Not a publication, but OK.

39 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Arab world has closed its borders to Palestinians since partition. It's part of their foundational political/religious stance. The world shouldn't give them as much a pass on it as it has, but don't expect it to change.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He was a White House staffer and Director of Speech Writing while Biden served in Obama's White House as VP. The point is that people like ...

Which falls under:

"Assholes and opinions, everyone has one."

He does NOT obtain MORE legitimacy, which you are attempting here, because he was a FORMER member of Obama's White House.

Hey, I used to live up the street from Mar-a-Lago... So MY opinion has MORE VALUE than yours!!!

Right?

... Banging your head against the wall and shouting Hamas could stop this at any time isn't an effective political strategy for ...

Anyone.

But it IS an accurate statement.

So... why won't Hamas just SURRENDER and save the fate of ALL their brethren? I've asked this since the middle of November. Why won't they surrender and save all their brother and sister Gazans?

Don't they love their fellow Gazans? All those women and children, that they are related to? Dying under Israel's invasion and hunt for their hostages and the terrorists who committed that awful Oct 7th butchery?

All they'd have to do is give up all the hostages, surrender, give up all their arms... low-level guys or those not directly involved in the Oct 7th butchery or kidnappings probably sent home, maybe after 90 days incarceration, and only the leaders (Sinwar, etc.) put on trial for implementing their Butchery and sentenced to death. Or maybe even the leaders could be allowed to escape into exile. Although I don't believe Israel would be too keen on that idea...

• Thanks 1

and if it's not an effective political strategy then the blame for that falls on.... Hamas.

Israel are making fatal and immoral mistakes.  They are committing murder.  I won't deny that.  Netenyahu is scum.

But none of this happens without Hamas letting it happen and causing it to happen.  I wish the left could have condemned Hamas with 1/20th of the vitriol with which they give Israel.

If Israel just stopped and Hamas slaughtered the remaining hostages... you wouldn't hear a peep of sympathy from the radical left over those lost lives.  Nothing.  They don't matter as long as you can slam "The Zionists" 

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Whoa now, Egypt is one of the more friendlier Muslim countries to the United States and are still dealing with a rather new democracy (of sorts?  Not going to lie, not entirely sure how free/fair their elections are, but it's a start).  

If Biden wanted to lend a hand and fortify that border with US troops and Egypt was up for it, fine, but Egypt wants to avoid any conflict with Israel or Hamas.  Please expect US Soldier deaths under friendly fire as a result and understand that you just have to accept it and move on.  Additionally any time Egypt brought up helping anyway they can, Israel tries to get them to agree to take Palestinian refugees which we all know Netanyahu will never allow them back if they leave, so now Egypt has to deal with a group of people that still wants to back Hamas and overthrow Israel, but from within their borders, i'm sure Egypt will love to sign right up for that.

... What's your plan? 

To create a humanitarian process to deliver food and needed medicines to Gaza.

Famine is unacceptable. And Israel's actions play a major part in it.

Establish the Mediterranean supply corridor (called for a month ago, including myself) by the US and other countries.

I am perfectly fine with forcing Israel's hand on playing their part to start allowing more humanitarian supplies through their border entry points into Gaza. And if Israel needs to use their soldiers to distribute orderly the supplies (to avoid the panic, desperate rushes on earlier supply trucks entering Gaza) then so be it. They'll need to divert military resources in order to maintain orderly distribution. That's a huge risk for them and their soldiers, in the middle of Gaza... but they have to do it.

Once the famine conditions are remediated: Israel can open their corridor(s) from Rafah to allow 1 Mill+ civilians to evacuate Rafah and head north. Israel can then proceed to commence the military operation to eliminate Hamas' last battalions in Rafah, and kill Sinwar and other Hamas terrorist leaders who perpetrated the Oct 7th crime against Israel, eliminate Hamas as a military and political entity in Gaza, and not least: search for their remaining hostages held by Hamas terrorists... dead or alive.

So where is it?

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's interesting that, publication or otherwise:

That Israel's Democratic process, somehow becomes "NOT a Democracy", when in fact, it is.

Oh... it's not a LIBERAL Democracy anymore.. according to someone. 

Hey: Poland and Hungary are also no longer "liberal democracies", right?

Although... they are STILL a part of NATO and the EU, even despite that.

So what are we to do with Israel since they are no longer a "liberal democracy" (even though they are still a DEMOCRACY)?

Abandon them?

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

It's interesting that, publication or otherwise:

That Israel's Democratic process, somehow becomes "NOT a Democracy", when in fact, it is.

Oh... it's not a LIBERAL Democracy anymore.. according to someone. 

Hey: Poland and Hungary are also no longer "liberal democracies", right?

Although... they are STILL a part of NATO and the EU, even despite that.

So what are we to do with Israel since they are no longer a "liberal democracy" (even though they are still a DEMOCRACY)?

Abandon them?

It's weird because Israel is what leftist claim they want. Universal health care, heavily subsidized college education, multi cultural at least by Middle East standards and LGBT friendly. 

34 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's weird because Israel is what leftist claim they want. Universal health care, heavily subsidized college education, multi cultural at least by Middle East standards and LGBT friendly. 

And a thriving democracy that, even under Bibi's corruption and mismanagement is still...

Wait for it...

A democracy.

I was going to post the same thing as I just saw it this morning...

I have the USA Today Headline version:

USA TODAY

In Biden-Netanyahu call, president chastises Israel over failure to protect civilians

Swapna Venugopal Ramaswamy and Dan Morrison, USA TODAY
Updated Thu, April 4, 2024 at 9:50 PM EDT·6 min read

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden issued an ultimatum to Israel that U.S. support in the Gaza war depends on "immediate" steps to protect civilians and aid workers, the White House said Thursday.

Within hours of a tense call between Biden and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli government said it would take new measures to increase aid to the devastated coastal enclave, including opening the Erez crossing from Israel into northern Gaza and the Ashdod port, and increasing aid deliveries from Jordan.

I don't know if this would be a good or bad thing, but if we put in billions of dollars to help secure Egypt's border, the republic party would probably have a meltdown.   I already hear a lot of calls into c-span about spending billions to support Ukraine's borders while our borders are "open" and we're being invaded.   

Edited by pfife

42 minutes ago, pfife said:

I don't know if this would be a good or bad thing, but if we put in billions of dollars to help secure Egypt's border, the republic party would probably have a meltdown.   I already hear a lot of calls into c-span about spending billions to support Ukraine's borders while our borders are "open" and we're being invaded.   

That's a smart take.

So...

In order to BE smart... I would think that any aid to Egypt has to be couched by the White House as "Temporary Aid for Palestinian Refugees", and not as any kind of "border aid"... 

We KNOW that the Republicans will try to reframe that as "DAMNED BORDER AID for another country but NOT for us at the Southern Border? WTF?!"

But the White House will just have to fight that battle (if we were indeed to send aid to Egypt for that specific reason, that is...). I don't see that currently on any drawing board, not in the House or Senate, nor from the White House that that would be any kind of consideration... I know you're probably just theorizing... I'm just sayin'...

The famine crisis in Gaza overrode EVERYTHING.

If Israel can quit F'ing around and open up borders to humanitarian aid (along with the U.S.-led Med route/dock area... which should NOT be stopped, even if Israel opens up the aid routes, IMO...).

If we can stop the famine crisis, then...

Pressure should absolutely make a full swing towards HAMAS to give up ALL their hostages (IMO), and to also just LAY DOWN THEIR ARMS. WTF do they think they are going to accomplish by holding out in Rafah? By holding onto their hostages? Do they actually think they can get a win here?

If they refuse to move on their static/ untenable/ immoral position: then I am fully on board with the IDF's mission to take Rafah and eliminate Hamas.