Week Ten: Detroit Lions (6-2) @ Los Angeles Chargers (4-4)

MichiganCardinal

LIONSLOGOGDT.png.015c8d12ca685fa1ddd9717e23b4923e.png          vs.          chargerslogo.png.0ca04adeca3d76104c3506f22b4eb3f3.png

Setting: 11/12/2023, 4:05pm on CBS

Site: SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, CA

Weather: 78° High / 55° Low, 0% chance of rain, 7mph wind

Opening Spread: Lions -1.0

All-Time Series Record: Chargers lead, 7-5

Last Meeting: 09/15/2019, Lions won 13-10

Los Angeles Chargers (4-4)

Head Coach: Brandon Staley (3rd Season: 23-19)

Projected Starting QB: Justin Herbert (4th Season: 29-28)

Last Week: 27-6 W @ New York Jets (4-4)

Looking Ahead to Week #11: Sunday @ Green Bay Packers (3-5)

chargers_gdt.jpeg.a22a852aa32509c6af3f0fc1f69759da.jpeg

Your Detroit Lions (6-2)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (3rd Season: 18-23-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (8th Season: 60-47-1)

Last Week: BYE (Preceded by 26-14 W v. Las Vegas Raiders (4-5))

Looking Ahead to Week #11: Sunday v. Chicago Bears (2-7)

lionschargersgdt.thumb.jpeg.d84d987c5b4956e11c18bc7d45f7a260.jpeg

Elsewhere in the NFL

PrimetimePanthers @ Bears (TNF), Jets @ Raiders (SNF), Broncos @ Bills (MNF)

9:30am: Colts @ Patriots (in Frankfurt, Germany)

1:00pm: Browns @ Ravens, Packers @ Steelers, Texans @ Bengals, Saints @ Vikings, 49ers @ Jaguars, Titans @ Buccaneers

4:05/4:25pm: Falcons @ Cardinals, Giants @ Cowboys, Commanders @ Seahawks

BYE: Chiefs, Rams, Dolphins, and Eagles

Not a great week for primetime television. Prime subscriptions will probably go down while the Panthers and Bears play and it doesn't get much better with the Jets, Raiders, and Broncos.  Meanwhile the poor international audience gets "treated" to a game that would have been great 10-20 years ago but is now instead a likely 10-3 final.

29 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Chargers have a good defense, especially the front 4 with Bosa leading the way.  Best I think we can hope for is a close win, something like 20-17. 

They are good, but they are not very well coached. Giving up 13 to the Bears or 6 to the Jets, both with backup QBs, will not be the same test for them as facing what seems to be a fully healthy Lions offense.

The two best offenses they've played are the Dolphins and the Chiefs and they gave up more than 30 each time. I think they are definitely beatable and I like that they are coming off a Monday Night win while we are coming off the bye, with both of us traveling east coast to west coast.

44 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

True, but sometimes you have to dig deeper. Khalil Mack had 6 sacks in one game against Aiden O'Connell for example.

A sack is a sack, while it certainly can make a difference who the sack is against, you can't just discount the fact that Mack has more sacks than Hutch and McNeil combined.  

16 minutes ago, MIguy said:

A sack is a sack, while it certainly can make a difference who the sack is against, you can't just discount the fact that Mack has more sacks than Hutch and McNeil combined.  

True I was more speaking to the O-line they are facing. Maxx had zero sacks against our O-line last week. Mack has 9 total and 6 came against one terrible team.

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

True I was more speaking to the O-line they are facing. Maxx had zero sacks against our O-line last week. Mack has 9 total and 6 came against one terrible team.

Lions had 6 sacks against the Raiders and 7 against the Falcons so what does that say about our totals?   At the same time, the Lions only had one against the Panthers so perhaps it's just wrong to make such observations about whom a stat came against.  

5 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Lions had 6 sacks against the Raiders and 7 against the Falcons so what does that say about our totals?   At the same time, the Lions only had one against the Panthers so perhaps it's just wrong to make such observations about whom a stat came against.  

You are not wrong, we need to get more pressure. 

One of the worst red zone offenses and one of the worst red zone defenses in the league. That’s how you regress to mediocre.  That has to change in the second half.  They have to stop with the horrible red zone play calling and they need people to step up on D in the same spot.

Dont know what to expect. They were outclassed by the ravens and then looked bad against a horrible raiders team. Didn’t look particularly good against the Bucs either.  It’s been a solid month since they’ve played a game where they looked like a real contender.

Go out and dominate.  Now is the time. Vikings are now breathing down our neck and look like they can’t lose, have to continue to win. Chargers don’t have a real home field advantage. If they don’t win this game it’s likely they won’t win the division.  

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

One of the worst red zone offenses and one of the worst red zone defenses in the league. That’s how you regress to mediocre.  That has to change in the second half.  They have to stop with the horrible red zone play calling and they need people to step up on D in the same spot.

Dont know what to expect. They were outclassed by the ravens and then looked bad against a horrible raiders team. Didn’t look particularly good against the Bucs either.  It’s been a solid month since they’ve played a game where they looked like a real contender.

Go out and dominate.  Now is the time. Vikings are now breathing down our neck and look like they can’t lose, have to continue to win. Chargers don’t have a real home field advantage. If they don’t win this game it’s likely they won’t win the division.  

It’s not even Sunday yet!

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Chargers offensively played like crap last night. Herbert 16/30 136 yds 0 TD's. I am prediciting a lopsided victory.

Herbert is going to shred the Lions defense, they've struggled against every good QB this season and I expect that to continue. I also expect the Lions to score a lot so it'll be a shootout in all likelihood.

Edited by NYLion

10 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

WTF are you talking about? They dominated the Raiders and they also outplayed the Bucs pretty soundly as well and they likely lose the division if they lose this game? Man TP, go out and get some fresh air my friend.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Herbert is going to shred the Lions defense, they've struggled against every good QB this season and I expect that to continue. I also expect the Lions to score a lot so it'll be a shootout in all likelihood.

I mean... they held Mahomes to 226 yards and the lowest completion percent he's had all season. They struggled against Lamar, but that was team-wide, not some "oh god we are playing a good quarterback let's collapse". Baker is probably the third best QB they played and they performed well against him.