2023 B1G Championship: #2 Michigan Wolverines (12-0) vs. #16 Iowa Hawkeyes (10-2)

MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

only way they stop at 30 is if they are tired.   They're gonna run this up big time. 

30-3 is the same score they beat East Carolina by. Maybe they’ll try to embarrass the B1G and their pitiful championship game, but I think they have their eyes set on a natty this year, which I think is actually realistic. Iowa is a team to be dismissed of before the real game starts.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

30-3 is the same score they beat East Carolina by. Maybe they’ll try to embarrass the B1G and their pitiful championship game, but I think they have their eyes set on a natty this year, which I think is actually realistic. Iowa is a team to be dismissed of before the real game starts.

I hate hubris.  But, yeah, I hope we do win by a margin that makes the betting community happy. 

I'll settle for a win but despite Iowa having a good defense I feel like this should play out much like it did 2 years ago or against Purdue last year. 

Would also like to see JJ step back up, not necessarily in the sense that I expect monster numbers cause that just isn't the type of offense we run but just in terms of his overall play.

Since the 1st half of the MSU game he has seemed to be a little off with his ball placement and overall accuracy. Gonna need him to be at or near his best if we want to compete in the playoffs. 

40 minutes ago, buddha said:

just win the game.  iowa has a really good defense.  lets not take them lightly.

we were supposed to blow out tcu too.

In fairness, TCU didn't lose 31-0 to a team we beat earlier in the season.

If Iowa was in the B1G East, they probably go 8-4 or 7-5. They beat Northwestern, Illinois, and Nebraska by a combined 8 points and only beat two teams by more than 10 points all season (Rutgers and Western Michigan). Compared to Michigan who did not trail in the second half of a game this season.

I'm sure the team isn't overlooking them, it would be hard to do when you don't know your next opponent and that game isn't for a month.... but the West is a complete joke.

Just now, romad1 said:

B1G has a lot to lose if those two teams leave. 

neither of them will.

the "big ten" will morph into a division when the power teams break away from the ncaa in five to ten years, led by fox/cbs/nbc who will want 19 million more than once or twice a year for the money they're paying.  heck, that's why usc is here!  usc v michigan/ohio state/penn state is probably good for at least 10-12 million eyeballs.

who REMAINS in the big ten will be interesting to see.  will the network powers that be want some of the lesser football schools?  

do the power teams of michigan, ohio state, and penn state want to continue to share their revenue with the purdues and indianas of the world?

and what will happen to the OTHER sports?  will they stay under ncaa authority?

To add to that crazy ratings number, it was the most watched regular season college football game on any network since 2011 and it doubled the most watched game of the season prior to it which was Colorado vs. Oregon. Insane to think that it drew 10 million more people than ANY game all season. 

It was also the 2nd most watched game in the rivalry ever only trailing the "Game of the Century" in 2006 when OSU was 1 and Michigan was 2. That game drew about 2 million more viewers. 

40 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

To add to that crazy ratings number, it was the most watched regular season college football game on any network since 2011 and it doubled the most watched game of the season prior to it which was Colorado vs. Oregon. Insane to think that it drew 10 million more people than ANY game all season. 

It was also the 2nd most watched game in the rivalry ever only trailing the "Game of the Century" in 2006 when OSU was 1 and Michigan was 2. That game drew about 2 million more viewers. 

and 2006 didnt have streaming to draw off viewers.

speaking of colorado, they have 9 players signed for next year, only one of which is an offensive lineman and he's not rated highly.  they just had three guys decommit.  and the rules will prohibit them from totally remaking the team this year through the portal.

colorado's team fell apart as their "star" players, a/k/a deion sanders' sons plus travis hunter, acted selfish and above the rest of the team, and their coach did nothing about it (because he's not really a coach).

recruiting and team building in college football is about building relationships and doing a lot of hard work.  i doubt deion does either.  

i dont think this will end well for colorado, unless you want to grade them on how many clicks they get rather than how many games they win.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If Florida State and Michigan win, I would expect the SEC to get shut out, for better or worse. I would also expect to play Florida State as the #1 seed.

This is what should happen but I can’t imagine the CFP giving the mighty SEC the short end of the stick.   They always get the committee love and I don’t see that changing now.  

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This is what should happen but I can’t imagine the CFP giving the mighty SEC the short end of the stick.   They always get the committee love and I don’t see that changing now.  

How? Alabama over Texas is the only way I could see it, and there would be riots in Austin for that. Understandably too.

10 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Texas beat Alabama 3 months ago, I don't see how people think that's the only thing that matters, especially when Texas barely beat Houston and TCU.   Not saying head to head shouldn't count for something, but there's a lot more to consider. 

I don't think it's the only thing that matters, but I do think that the committee tipped their hand that it matters by putting Texas at 7 and Bama at 8 this week.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think it's the only thing that matters, but I do think that the committee tipped their hand that it matters by putting Texas at 7 and Bama at 8 this week.

Now they can have it both ways.  They can point to that as proof they took it into consideration while also saying that Alabama's victory over Georgia was enough to let them slip in ahead of Texas.