NBA Info - December 2023

Deleterious

On 12/8/2023 at 6:08 AM, RandyMarsh said:

Watched the Lakers game last night and as much as I dislike him its unbelievable how good LeBron still is after all this time. Still a top 5 player in this league.

image.png.e3ebb61a9bacf5d48acf40de5f3f2b0d.png

I like how his basketball reference page shows all 5 positions for him over the years.  Maybe those designations were more concrete in the past and there is more subjectivity to his position now.  There's more positionless basketball now, but he's also been positionless throughout much of his career anyway.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I like how his basketball reference page shows all 5 positions for him over the years.  Maybe those designations were more concrete in the past and there is more subjectivity to his position now.  There's more positionless basketball now, but he's also been positionless throughout much of his career anyway.

Scroll down to play-by-play.   That sections breaks down his minutes at each position.  He has  a season at each position where he played the majority of his minutes at that position for the year.  Has to be the only player to have something like that.

5 hours ago, casimir said:

god bless peds

6 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Because the Lakers played.

I assume they had a home crowd advantage as well.

I guess another thing I don’t understand is that all of the tournament games count in the regular season standings and the statistics are accumulated as well.  Except for the final game of the tournament.  Maybe it’s just the way my head is wired, but that doesn’t really make much sense to me.  I realize the way they add games to the schedule to get everyone to 82, and the tourney title would be 83.  Ok.  Hold off on or significantly limiy East vs West games until after the tournament is done.  Don’t close out a season series between teams until after its over.  Then whatever the matchup is, just cancel the second regularly schedule game of the season to keep those teams at 82 games.

the in season tournament was a success.  it generated interest in what were otherwise boring regular season games, it encouraged scoring in what would otherwise be boring sleepwalks.  it added something different to the usual nba regular season.   players were actually trying to score late in games!  how flipping novel!

everyone here complains about nba teams not giving a **** about regular season games because there are so many of them.  this added games they actually cared about AND it added games in which they cared about scoring.  

it was a success.  and yes, the final was more successful because the lakers were in it.  regardless, it was something different and interesting in the middle of the usual slog of an nba season.

you old ****s will never admit it, but it was a success and i hope they keep it up.  tweak it, dont get rid of it.

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

I assume they had a home crowd advantage as well.

I guess another thing I don’t understand is that all of the tournament games count in the regular season standings and the statistics are accumulated as well.  Except for the final game of the tournament.  Maybe it’s just the way my head is wired, but that doesn’t really make much sense to me.  I realize the way they add games to the schedule to get everyone to 82, and the tourney title would be 83.  Ok.  Hold off on or significantly limiy East vs West games until after the tournament is done.  Don’t close out a season series between teams until after its over.  Then whatever the matchup is, just cancel the second regularly schedule game of the season to keep those teams at 82 games.

The whole thing they've been doing where the stats don't count (the play-in games as well) just drives me crazy. It makes no sense. As if these games are somehow going to skew everything worse than the rules changes already have.

Also, you're right, even if they wanted to make it 82 games for everyone it's easy to fix.

Edited by Betrayer

1 minute ago, buddha said:

you old ****s will never admit it, but it was a success and i hope they keep it up.  tweak it, dont get rid of it.

Was someone saying to get rid of it?

I think it's fine. However, I do think it's too early in the season. The real slog is January, not November when the season has just started. In fact, why not move the games from November to January and have All-Star weekend be the true middle of the season with these two teams playing for the championship to cap it off. Add more skills type competitions and mini-games for the rest of All-Stars to compete in, but remove the useless All-Star game in favor of this game.

I also think they should learn something from these games and change playoff seeding so points count somehow. Either make point differential the first tie-breaker or make it so teams get points for each quarter they win (I think summer league does this), or something like that.

1 minute ago, Betrayer said:

I also think they should learn something from these games and change playoff seeding so points count somehow. Either make point differential the first tie-breaker or make it so teams get points for each quarter they win (I think summer league does this), or something like that.

I think the ABA or CBA used to do this.  Wining the game was 3 points for the standings, winning a quarter was 1 point.  I don’t know if the standInge were then based off of these points.  They must have been, why else go through the hassle?

28 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Was someone saying to get rid of it?

I think it's fine. However, I do think it's too early in the season. The real slog is January, not November when the season has just started. In fact, why not move the games from November to January and have All-Star weekend be the true middle of the season with these two teams playing for the championship to cap it off. Add more skills type competitions and mini-games for the rest of All-Stars to compete in, but remove the useless All-Star game in favor of this game.

cas and del have been calling it stupid since it was announced.  joined in by multiple folks on this site