Week Fourteen: Detroit Lions (9-3) @ Chicago Bears (4-8)

MichiganCardinal

14 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Rewatching some of this game, Hutchinson was the worst defender on the field in the second half. Trying too hard.  Both TDs were his fault.  The egregious offside, can’t even try and defend that, and then on fields 3rd and 11, he stunts inside and leaves his half of the field wide open while being wiped out.   Low IQ football from him. That’s more coaching I think.  They should have known in 4th and 13 they aren’t snapping  it.  3rd and 11. You just have to keep the edge. Just ugly. 

The line stunt on the Fields TD run was egregious.  You can’t leave half the field undefended with a mobile QB on 3rd and 11.  I have no idea who to blame.  Was that Hutch going on his own or if that was a line call sent in from the coaches?    Terrible play that has been too indicative of this team recently.  

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The line stunt on the Fields TD run was egregious.  You can’t leave half the field undefended with a mobile QB on 3rd and 11.  I have no idea who to blame.  Was that Hutch going on his own or if that was a line call sent in from the coaches?    Terrible play that has been too indicative of this team recently.  

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2023/12/emotional-aidan-hutchinson-disgusted-at-crucial-penalty-in-loss-thats-on-me.html

They are all pushing too hard. 

• Thanks 1

PFF Rankings - Five highest-graded defenders (with enough snaps): DL John Cominsky (73.7), CB Kindle Vildor (68.0), DB Ifeatu Melifonwu (67.0), LB Jack Campbell (65.2), EDGE Julian Okwara (64.8%)

Rotational DL, CB signed off practice squad, DB who has been buried on depth chart, someone who belongs among the top graded defenders, rotational DL.

Five-lowest graded defenders (with enough snaps): LB Alex Anzalone (29.3), CB Jerry Jacobs (47.2), EDGE Josh Paschal (49.9), EDGE Aidan Hutchinson (52.7), S Kerby Joseph (53.1)

Starting LB, starting CB, 2nd round draft pick, #2 draft pick, starting safety.

Ouch.

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

PFF Rankings - Five highest-graded defenders (with enough snaps): DL John Cominsky (73.7), CB Kindle Vildor (68.0), DB Ifeatu Melifonwu (67.0), LB Jack Campbell (65.2), EDGE Julian Okwara (64.8%)

Rotational DL, CB signed off practice squad, DB who has been buried on depth chart, someone who belongs among the top graded defenders, rotational DL.

Five-lowest graded defenders (with enough snaps): LB Alex Anzalone (29.3), CB Jerry Jacobs (47.2), EDGE Josh Paschal (49.9), EDGE Aidan Hutchinson (52.7), S Kerby Joseph (53.1)

Starting LB, starting CB, 2nd round draft pick, #2 draft pick, starting safety.

Ouch.

I don't understand what this front office saw in Josh Paschal. Maybe, hopefully, he steps it up. But where is the productivity, where are the plays being made?

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I didn't realize this but defensive captain Charles Harris, who they paid all that money to when they resigned him this off-season, was a healthy scratch. How does that happen? You thought so highly of him to both resign him, pay him, and make him a defensive captain and the dude didn't even suit up and play?

I think they re-signed him last offseason to a two-year deal, so his contract will expire after this season. But, I think they depended on him to the extent that they did not address the position at all this offseason.

I was wrong about Anzalone. He's been great (notwithstanding yesterday). I was right about Harris though. Dude's a bum.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think they re-signed him last offseason to a two-year deal, so his contract will expire after this season. But, I think they depended on him to the extent that they did not address the position at all this offseason.

I was wrong about Anzalone. He's been great (notwithstanding yesterday). I was right about Harris though. Dude's a bum.

I think collectively we were all wrong about Anzalone. He's been quite good this season and has been a clear leader for this defense. Great move to bring him back.

Amazing to me that a defensive captain is a healthy scratch and doesn't even suit up and play.