12/11/23 7:00PM EST Indiana Pacers @ Detroit Pistons

Tigeraholic1

JEIII with the usual "things need time to gel" article today.  which almost all of predicted would be the next article (they havent had time to play together because of injuries) but couched in the "dont make a panic move and trade for kuzma or lavine" mantra.  which i agree with.  i dont want either of those guys.

but if he's writing:

"Assuming Detroit doesn’t suddenly turn a month’s worth of losing into the alternative over the next five days, it’s my understanding that the Pistons could be active in the trade market in the coming weeks."

that means he's heard the front office is looking to make a deal.  which is scary considering this front office's track record.

i dont have a freep or detnews account so i cant read their beat writers articles.  and there's no point in reading keith langlois because he works for the team.

btw, the comments to those articles are pretty funny lately with them all calling out JEIII for being a weaver shill.  especially today with the "you wrote the same **** about josh jackson" back in the day that you write now about livers.  he's turned a corner in practice!  lol.

JEIII almost makes me want to cancel my subscription.  

Lavine, Kuzma, and Poole are all a no-go from me.  

I know Poole isn't being talked about.  But Washington supposedly is looking to move him.  I fear Weaver goes after him because he is young and Washington probably doesn't want a ton for him.  They will just be happy to dump his contract.  Which should send up huge red flags.  

3 hours ago, buddha said:

that means he's heard the front office is looking to make a deal.  which is scary considering this front office's track record.

It's even scarier considering that Weaver is under major pressure now so he's going to try to save his job with a Blake Griffin type move that's going to damn the franchise for years to come. Might be better to fire him now before he pulls an SVG on the way out the door.

But even if you clean house by firing Weaver, firing Tellem, and negotiating a buyout with the coach who you overpaid to take a job he clearly didn't want, you still have the biggest problem lingering: Gores. A bad owner who likes to meddle at the worst times and thinks that basketball works like a corporation where you just hire the big name Exec that just left some other company to make the optics look good (SVG, Casey, Monty).

This whole thing is a mess.

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

It's even scarier considering that Weaver is under major pressure now so he's going to try to save his job with a Blake Griffin type move that's going to damn the franchise for years to come. Might be better to fire him now before he pulls an SVG on the way out the door.

But even if you clean house by firing Weaver, firing Tellem, and negotiating a buyout with the coach who you overpaid to take a job he clearly didn't want, you still have the biggest problem lingering: Gores. A bad owner who likes to meddle at the worst times and thinks that basketball works like a corporation where you just hire the big name Exec that just left some other company to make the optics look good (SVG, Casey, Monty).

This whole thing is a mess.

doesnt tellum own part of the team?  i doubt he goes anywhere.  the best you can hope for is that the pistons stop drafting his son's clients.

but all you've wrote is true, tom gores chases big shiny toys because he doesnt actually know anything about basketball or how to run a sports franchise.  he likely has no connections in the industry (that's tellum's job).

we all know weaver didnt want monty.  he wanted kevin ollie.  the word is that tellum wanted jason collins.  would the team have been better off with either of those guys?  who knows, but it couldnt have been any worse!

in a way, monty is a troy's plausible deniability ("i didnt want him").  otoh, troy will never get another head job again after this mess.  he'll be relegated to scouting and assisting. 

speaking of him, troy weaver came with the sam presti pedigree and looked like a great hire.

and yet....here we are.

if gores actually cared - and he might, those VC/hedge fund douches are very competitive - he might feel a bit snake bit.

• Like 1

I predicted a while back (maybe it was on another message board) that Gores would lose patience and force the next version of a Blake Griffin trade on to Weaver. He is not a patient man by nature (few billionaires are) so I had a feeling some of this stuff about "shakeup trade" was going to start to leak if they started slow this season. Going all in for Monty and overruling Weaver's intentions to bring in a more inexperienced coach was the first sign that his patience was wearing thin.