NBA Info - February 2024

Here's my rough framework to fix All-Star weekend:

1. Move the In-Season tournament to mid January. It shouldn't have been so early in the season anyway.
2. Move All-Star weekend to late January, right at the actual mid-season mark.
3. Add a 3-on-3 tournament (or something similar) for the All-Stars on Saturday afternoon with ascending prize money.
4. Retain the Saturday evening events with greater (monetary) encouragement for stars to participate.
5. Cap off the weekend with the In-Season Tourney Championship Game instead of the All-Star game on Sunday.

Basically moving a more competitive game to the marque spot and creating a bunch of fun All-Star stuff around it to build up hype and make the whole thing a big production. It'll add more gravity and attention to the in-season tournament,  which will now be a mid-season tournament.

I also think you'll get more competition out of a 3-on-3 tournament with the All-Stars because there's isn't a 15 man team with substitutions and so many other guys on the court. There's more pride when it's just you and 2 others trying to win a tournament. The ascending prize money could help as well.

As a side benefit, this will also put All-Star weekend before the trade deadline again, where it belongs so GMs can meet in person to discuss deals ahead of the deadline.

4 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Here's my rough framework to fix All-Star weekend:

1. Move the In-Season tournament to mid January. It shouldn't have been so early in the season anyway.
2. Move All-Star weekend to late January, right at the actual mid-season mark.
3. Add a 3-on-3 tournament (or something similar) for the All-Stars on Saturday afternoon with ascending prize money.
4. Retain the Saturday evening events with greater (monetary) encouragement for stars to participate.
5. Cap off the weekend with the In-Season Tourney Championship Game instead of the All-Star game on Sunday.

Basically moving a more competitive game to the marque spot and creating a bunch of fun All-Star stuff around it to build up hype and make the whole thing a big production. It'll add more gravity and attention to the in-season tournament,  which will now be a mid-season tournament.

I also think you'll get more competition out of a 3-on-3 tournament with the All-Stars because there's isn't a 15 man team with substitutions and so many other guys on the court. There's more pride when it's just you and 2 others trying to win a tournament. The ascending prize money could help as well.

As a side benefit, this will also put All-Star weekend before the trade deadline again, where it belongs so GMs can meet in person to discuss deals ahead of the deadline.

love it.

they have to something.  the players have turned what used to be a fun weekend into a joke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Gadzooks.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Defense doesn’t matter at all for 82 games.  It’s a pointless exercise to build a team focused on defense but once the postseason starts and you are matched up in a series, guess what, defense becomes supremely important again.  

This league is in such a ****ed place.     The players are so skilled and the talent level is higher than it’s ever been but the game is so flawed.   It just doesn’t make much sense.

15 hours ago, Deleterious said:

How come we don't get an All Star game in Detroit? That was the second time Indiana hosted one since the mid 80s. Our last one was 1959. 

1979....which might as well be 1959 given the way the all star weekend has changed

On 2/19/2024 at 5:36 PM, Hongbit said:

Defense doesn’t matter at all for 82 games.  It’s a pointless exercise to build a team focused on defense but once the postseason starts and you are matched up in a series, guess what, defense becomes supremely important again.  

This league is in such a ****ed place.     The players are so skilled and the talent level is higher than it’s ever been but the game is so flawed.   It just doesn’t make much sense.

That and from what I understand there are certain rules in the NBA that don't pertain to leagues around the globe which makes offense even easier for guys. I remember Luka was on Redick's podcast a couple years ago and JJ asked him the difference between the NBA and Euroleague and Luka said the NBA was much easier which at first caught JJ by surprise until Luka explained the rules differences.

I can't remember for sure which ones he mentioned but I believe 3 in the key was one of them. IIRC he said in Europe there was almost always a guy waiting for you at the rim cause they would just be camping out there but in the NBA you of course can't do that. He mentioned other factors as well but the rules thing is what stuck out to me.

Two bits of off court info.

Dan Gilbert and his wife are giving $400M to add on to Henry Ford hospital.

Tom Gores asked the city for $300M in tax incentives to build an apartment building.

They should agree to give Tom the money on the condition he has to sell the team.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Somebody here already mentioned changing foul rules so that you can't be awarded a foul on offensive player initiated contact. Might be a tricky rule to write but would like to see that tried.

This is the one I keep talking about. Give the defender an equal right to his space on the court if he was there first. No more running into a defender and getting a call and no more swinging your arm through a defender to get a call. 

That, and they really need to stop the moving screens.

Those two changes alone would drastically alter the ability to defend and bring some balance back to the game.

Edited by Betrayer

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Scottie Barnes.

OG was traded on December 29th and Siakam on January 15th.  Those are not he days they were traded but the last days they played for Toronto.

Barnes shot 37.8% from three before 1-15-24.  Since then he has shot 25%.

what a surprise.

Matt Barnes caught being Matt Barnes.

The incident came after his son, playing for Crespi Carmelite in a game against Harvard-Westlake, was hit with a technical foul. Barnes was upset with the call and he left his seat in the stands to approach the scorer's table. A video of the confrontation later went viral on social media.

Barnes, a Sacramento native who won a title with the Golden State Warriors, addressed the controversy in a recent appearance on "The Dan Le Batard Show."

“I was yelling at the refs, Dan. I’ve yelled at the refs my entire college career, my 15-year NBA career,” Barnes said, according to the Bee. “This particular incident — I will say my one mistake was putting my hand on (the student broadcaster’s) shoulder. A lot of people want to say I grabbed this kid or I did this — I literally put my hand on this kid’s shoulder because it was almost like I was talking to my son."

I am going to guess that had someone put their hand on Barnes' son's shoulder as he was behind a scoring table, he'd see said action from a completely different angle.