Baseball Cards

I can't find the old thread discussing baseball cards so just tossing this out there:

I was just watching Antique Road Show on PBS an hour ago when this older middle-aged woman (late 40's?) is showing some cards she inherited (from her father I think...).

A collection of 1948 Leaf cards. The appraiser had some key cards up on a backboard (with felt brackets to hold the cards... no pins mind you...):

Not just one but FOUR Ted Williams. In high end (looked ExMt to NrMt range to me) condition. Roughly $2,500 each or so. 

A table loaded with nice looking commons.

One Honus Wagner card. For a joke he took the picture with him shoving chewing tobacco into his mouth. Nice condition, around $500.

FOUR Joe DiMaggio's, same condition as the Williams and also around $2,500 each range.

She had SIX Babe Ruth's from that set. Great condition, all of them. Around $3K per card.

And the coup de grace?

THREE Jackie Robinson 1948 Leaf rookie cards in excellent shape. $15-25K per card (depending on grading).

I think I'm missing something else.

I salivated.

• Like 1

I think I have all of Kaline's Topps cards except his rookie card.

I collect vintage cards only, mostly Near Mint only but there are some lower graded exceptions. Not many but some cards are just difficult to obtain in higher conditions...

This is a nice 1955 Topps Kaline, his second one...

AS10732_4.thumb.jpg.feac64d3921f952d963ea9c42f93e90b.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KL2 said:

Wife let me pick this one up over the summer as pre-wedding present

Auction Prices Realized Baseball Cards 1933 Goudey Lou Gehrig

That is a really nice Gehrig!

I collected for 35 years before I moved down to VA 9 years ago now. I sold 99% of what I had at a high profile memorabilia auction, and don't regret it or really miss it at all. I kept some stuff that was very personal to me, and some very random stuff like I didn't mean to keep. Like I came across a few autographed Rickey Peters cards the other day in a random box.

But, I still salivate at a lot of stuff, like the cards posted in this thread.

Edited by CMU97

I just dumped off a bunch of Michael Jordan, Frank Thomas and Griffey cards at a considerable loss. It was a fun hobby when I was single and had time but now they sit there unappreciated. 

George Brett is my favorite baseball player not named Mark Fidrych and I have a considerable collection of his cards. They sit there. I have an autographed ball and some bobble heads that I will keep but I’ll probably dump off the cards once I have the mini and full sized rookie card evaluated. 

I have maybe 40-50 sets, most incomplete from when you just bought the .25 pack and kept a hand written list of the ones you needed and scratched off after you got them.  I think the oldest sets I have are from the late 70's, most are the late 80's early 90's sets.

I went through them a few months ago to see if there were any goodies in there...I have just about every main producers Barry rookie cards, even got one of them signed at open work out at Pontiac Silverdome back in 90 or 91.

Not just baseball, but most are, basketball, football, hockey.  I have quite a few that could be worth a little bit, but on the whole not much more than a couple grand probably...those things are just nostalgia bombs...every time I need a pick me up I take them out and just smell them or look through them.

One of these days I may display some of them....most are in 3 ring binders with the sheets....the rest just in random old shoe boxes.

I have a lot of cards from the late 60s and 70s which is when I collected.  We played all kinds of games with them and they are all hacked up.  Thus, they are worth nothing, but their poor condotion is what gives them character!  I wouldn't sell them anyway.  Too many memories.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I have maybe 40-50 sets, most incomplete from when ...

I have no idea how many complete sets I have... but quite a few.

Unlike most... after my dad got me into collecting by buying me a complete 1974 Topps set...

I went old school. I just loved the older cards. 

A few complete sets (and I collect only ExMt-NrMt or better grade... hard to do... but eBay has been a bonanza for people just dumping cards and being able to find good deals), and only baseball unless otherwise noted:

1951 Topps Red Backs.

1956 Topps Football.

1959, 1960, 1961 and 1963 Fleer sets.

1962 Post Cereal set.

1953 Johnston Cookies (Braves only, with Spahn and Eddie Mathews)

1964 Topps.

1969-1976 Topps.

1964 Auravision Records (7x7 33's with Kaline & Mantle, etc..,)

1953 Bowman Black & White

1953 Bowman Color (actually I'm missing Mantle, Berra, and a card with Mantle Berra & Bauer)

I'm close to complete sets (missing key cards) with:

1939, 1940, and 1941 Playball.

1948 and 1949 Bowman.

1952 to 1963 Topps (range from 2 to 14 cards still needed, except the 52's with about 44 missing).

1951 Topps Blue Backs.

1966 Topps

1964 Topps Stand Ups

1964 Wheaties Stamps

1954 Red Heart Dog Food

1952 Num Num Potato Chips (only Indians... and I've got the Feller card). All with tabs (much less without tabs...)

1955 Red Man Tobacco

1939 Goudey Premiums, B set (I've got Joe DiMaggio, but missing Jimmy Foxx and a couple others...).

I have about 200 different T-206's (tobacco cards from 1909-1911).

Errr... I'm a bit of a collector. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I have no idea how many complete sets I have... but quite a few.

Unlike most... after my dad got me into collecting by buying me a complete 1974 Topps set...

I went old school. I just loved the older cards. 

A few complete sets (and I collect only ExMt-NrMt or better grade... hard to do... but eBay has been a bonanza for people just dumping cards and being able to find good deals), and only baseball unless otherwise noted:

1951 Topps Red Backs.

1956 Topps Football.

1959, 1960, 1961 and 1963 Fleer sets.

1962 Post Cereal set.

1953 Johnston Cookies (Braves only, with Spahn and Eddie Mathews)

1964 Topps.

1969-1976 Topps.

1964 Auravision Records (7x7 33's with Kaline & Mantle, etc..,)

1953 Bowman Black & White

1953 Bowman Color (actually I'm missing Mantle, Berra, and a card with Mantle Berra & Bauer)

I'm close to complete sets (missing key cards) with:

1939, 1940, and 1941 Playball.

1948 and 1949 Bowman.

1952 to 1963 Topps (range from 2 to 14 cards still needed, except the 52's with about 44 missing).

1951 Topps Blue Backs.

1966 Topps

1964 Topps Stand Ups

1964 Wheaties Stamps

1954 Red Heart Dog Food

1952 Num Num Potato Chips (only Indians... and I've got the Feller card). All with tabs (much less without tabs...)

1955 Red Man Tobacco

1939 Goudey Premiums, B set (I've got Joe DiMaggio, but missing Jimmy Foxx and a couple others...).

I have about 200 different T-206's (tobacco cards from 1909-1911).

Errr... I'm a bit of a collector. 

Collecting cards is really smart. Easy to store, handle  and trade/sell. I made the mistake collecting balls, bats  and pictures and it's always a cost and challenge to display without slowly watching the autographs fade. I don't have much but it's still work. I do have a Man Casita in my backyard but it has too many windows and sunlight so not really a cave and not good for keeping signatures from fad......ay...

I never got into autographs for some reason...

I don't know why... they're interesting...

Actually, I have one autograph set that I keep inside a case:

The 1953 Topps Archives that came out around 1991 I think...

Multiple guys chased after every single living player that was still around to get them to autograph the Reprint card from 1953. I think about 180 or so were still living, and that includes some "extended" numbers/ players (including Aaron) from the reprint set that actually were not a part of the original. I didn't chase the autographs but I did chase the autographed cards. I've got everyone who signed a card. I've got the Mickey Mantle and Hank Aaron and Willie Mays (plus others) for anyone interested in a look-see...

But other than that... yeah, they fade.

And bats and balls ummm... yeah, they take up quite a bit of space... Room only for so many...

Edited by 1984Echoes

Anyone interested in the early 1900's Ty Cobb era...

No I don't have a T-206 Cobb (I would love to get a good deal on one of his cards but impossible to do because he gets OODLES of attention any time a card of his pops up...); but HOF'ers or near-HOF'ers that I do have from the T-206 set are:

Frank Chance, Jack Chesbro, Fred Clarke, Miller Huggins, Hughie Jennings (Detroit), Walter Johnson, Rube Marquard, John McGraw, Tris Speaker, Rube Waddell, Zach Wheat, Vic Willis.

From Detroit I've got (aside from Jennings): Davy Jones, Ed Killian, George Mullin, Charley O'Leary, Ed Willetts.

• Like 1

I collected cards from 88-93 (hello junk wax era!), and when going through some cards in my parents’ basement a few years back, discovered I had this. It seems like it’s in great shape. I want to send it off to get graded, but I have no idea what I’m doing with that. 

IMG_9754.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm seeing sales of that card on eBay (under "sold listings") that look like they're in about the same condition from $70 to $125.

I'm not certain what your card would grade...

I see a PSA 7 that went (what people are willing to pay is a good indicator of what you can actually "realize" in a sale...) for $98 and one for $150. 

A PSA 8 for $325.

And I see some BGS and SGC 9's listed from $890 to $3,500 but: (A) I don't think they'll get that. And (B) It looks like your card has a tiny bit of wear on the lower left hand corner? You won't get a 9 out of that. Wild guess is a 7 or so but I'm not a professional grader so do NOT rely on me for that...

• Like 1