2024 NBA Playoffs

Can we talk about how overrated Garland is? Also, Mobley doesn’t impress me without Allen next to him  

Mitchell carrying this team with 50 pts on a bum knee.

I don’t really care who gets the honor of being swept by Boston, but I just want Orlando to lose already so we can interview John Hammond. 

10 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Can we talk about how overrated Garland is? Also, Mobley doesn’t impress me without Allen next to him  

Mitchell carrying this team with 50 pts on a bum knee.

I don’t really care who gets the honor of being swept by Boston, but I just want Orlando to lose already so we can interview John Hammond. 

I'd take Allen and Mobley on the Pistons.  I was hoping the Pistons traded down from 1-1 in order to draft Mobley plus get other stuff.

I think Donovan Mitchell is the most overrated player in the league.  He can score, but he isn't very efficient and does almost nothing else to help his team win.  Absolutely terrible defender.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

I'd take Allen and Mobley on the Pistons.  I was hoping the Pistons traded down from 1-1 in order to draft Mobley plus get other stuff.

cade is better than mobley.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, buddha said:

cade is better than mobley.

But could Mobley plus something be better than Cunningham?

Edit:  Probably not with Weaver.

Edited by casimir

23 minutes ago, casimir said:

But could Mobley plus something be better than Cunningham?

Edit:  Probably not with Weaver.

Weaver clearly has had no clue what kind of players he needed to build around Cade, but that can probably be generalized to "Weaver has no idea how build a winning team in today's NBA" and it's probably still true.

Not even an indefinite suspension for twice throwing a ball maliciously into the stands?  Sure, it doesn’t do a whole lot of anything right now that Beverly is in the off-season.  But at least that little bit would fool some NBA passersby into thinking something is being done.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

They are going to talk about that game from Franz for a long time.

Orlando had two guys in the starting lineup combine to go 3-28 from the field in game 7.  Ouch.

franz's big game choke continues.  as michigan fans know, his 0-11 against ucla cost them a trip to the final four.

Hammond is 70 and recently moved to a senior advisor role for the Magic.  I doubt he wants the grind of being in charge at his age.

I am shocked Tim Connelly is available, but I keep seeing his name pop up occasionally.  He would be my first pick of names mentioned.  GM of the Nuggets from 2013-22 and now GM of the Timberwolves.  

I would still be blowing up Bob Myers phone.  But since his name is never mentioned I think I better give up on that one.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Hammond is 70 and recently moved to a senior advisor role for the Magic.  I doubt he wants the grind of being in charge at his age.

I am shocked Tim Connelly is available, but I keep seeing his name pop up occasionally.  He would be my first pick of names mentioned.  GM of the Nuggets from 2013-22 and now GM of the Timberwolves.  

I would still be blowing up Bob Myers phone.  But since his name is never mentioned I think I better give up on that one.

connelly may want to escape the twolves' messed up ownership situation...

yet....if so....why would he want to come to a spot with the least successful owner in the last 15 years?  stability?  

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

yet....if so....why would he want to come to a spot with the least successful owner in the last 15 years?  stability?  

Money and power and we all know that Gores is really good at shamelessly groveling. One thing I'll give Gores credit for is that when he locks in on a target, he does whatever it takes to land the target. He might be batting .000 in terms of landing the right targets but he does land the ones that he REALLY wants.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

I think the Detroit job is pretty attractive. 

You already have your young star in place with Cade. 

You have an owner who wants to win but just doesn't know how. He also gives his people a very long leash, so not a ton of pressure to win now. He also is more than willing to spend money. 

Worst case scenario, we are going to lose a first round pick to NY. But we have all of our other first round picks going forward. Tons of cap space and as of yet no future salary issues on the horizon. 

The one downside is maybe Gores likes to stick his nose in a bit too much. But a competent GM can stop that.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I think the Detroit job is pretty attractive. 

You already have your young star in place with Cade. 

You have an owner who wants to win but just doesn't know how. He also gives his people a very long leash, so not a ton of pressure to win now. He also is more than willing to spend money. 

Worst case scenario, we are going to lose a first round pick to NY. But we have all of our other first round picks going forward. Tons of cap space and as of yet no future salary issues on the horizon. 

The one downside is maybe Gores likes to stick his nose in a bit too much. But a competent GM can stop that.

It's not attractive at all. 

There is cap space, but nobody worth spending on. There are no building blocks, outside of cade, in players or draft assets. The only hope is to get crazy lucky in draft with the little you do have and land a superstar out of nowhere. Then you can have something to build with. The more likely outcome is a slow rebuild where the pistons buy draft picks for bad contracts and in four years hope to have some talent just in time for Cade to bounce when he's tired of 10 years of losing and when you have 200 loses on your resume. 

Edited by KL2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, KL2 said:

and in four years hope to have some talent just in time for Cade to bounce

I have a hard time believe Cade is here after '25 short of total FO teardown NOW. I don't get the impression he is anyone's fool, let alone Gores's, who will be reduced to searching for players able to pick up Cade's contributions to building the community after he takes the QO

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

It's not attractive at all. 

There is cap space, but nobody worth spending on. There are no building blocks, outside of cade, in players or draft assets. The only hope is to get crazy lucky in draft with the little you do have and land a superstar out of nowhere. Then you can have something to build with. The more likely outcome is a slow rebuild where the pistons buy draft picks for bad contracts and in four years hope to have some talent just in time for Cade to bounce when he's tired of 10 years of losing and when you have 200 loses on your resume. 

Not sure what you mean by nobody to spend it on  They lost over 80% of their games.  If a player was in another teams top 7 or 8 man rotation, they are better than most players on the Pistons roster.  That means pretty much every free agent with a pulse is worth spending on for Detroit.  

What is wrong with out draft assets?  We have all of our first round picks except maybe the one we have to send to NY.  And as bad as Detroit is, there is a real chance that turns into two second round picks and we never lose a 1st.  We will also be in the Flagg/Bailey mix next year, along with Dylan Harper who is another excellent prospect.  Bad team with most of its first round picks = a great place for a talented GM.

Bottom line, a competent GM/President would love to come here.  Star player in place.  Draft capital.  Cap space.  No bad contracts to unwind.  Nothing to tear down.  An almost blank slate.  Owner who is more than willing to spend.  Anyone with talent would love that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Not sure what you mean by nobody to spend it on  They lost over 80% of their games.  If a player was in another teams top 7 or 8 man rotation, they are better than most players on the Pistons roster.  That means pretty much every free agent with a pulse is worth spending on for Detroit.  

Cool we can sign some teams 8th guy to a cumbersome contract that eats up space and provides 4 more wins. All is solved!

(there is nobody to spend it on, who you know, is good. There better? Yes lets run out to sign Tobias Harris he's the piece we're missing for a 3 seed and a shot of a championship.)

What is wrong with out draft assets?  We have all of our first round picks except maybe the one we have to send to NY. 

Yes that would be a problem. Losing a first round pick and being unable to trade any because of it hanging there would be a lack of assets. The pistons have 15 picks in the foreseable future through 2030. The Wizards have 28. The Hornets 17. Trail Blazer 19. Spurs 35 etc. See the problem here? 

We have far less draft assets than other teams at the bottom. Those assets are used to add young players or package together to add an established player. We have less than other bad teams.

We will also be in the Flagg/Bailey mix next year, along with Dylan Harper who is another excellent prospect.  Bad team with most of its first round picks = a great place for a talented GM.

So will other teams. And they will have assets to move around if they really want Flagg and miss out. We, don't, its all about ping pong balls and another year down the train, another year closer to cade leaving. 

Bottom line, a competent GM/President would love to come here.  Star player in place.  Draft capital.  Cap space.  No bad contracts to unwind.  Nothing to tear down.  An almost blank slate.  Owner who is more than willing to spend.  Anyone with talent would love that.

This is just a rose-Pistons-everything-is-going-great way of looking at it. We don't have a star. Cade looks good, he's made zero all star teams or done anything meaningful. Seems on the upswing but can we call him a star? Daft capital...except not really. Cap space....wooo to add nobdoy! no bad contracts! cool that can actually be a bad thing for a team on teh rebuild where a cap floor is requried. Nothing to tear down! Woo that means no assets to replenish what you have. Owner willing to spend! Yes in a capped league that's great. 

I'm not saying everybody should say no. There are only 30 jobs out there. But, come on you can't call it attractive. Troy has driven it into the ground, so far that even the world's greatest GM is going to take years to just reach compentent let alone fighting for a playoff spot. It not a good opening because you're already coming in knowing your going to be saddled with losing and after three or four years of it, no matter where you start from, the seat starts getting hot. 

Edited by KL2
  • Like 1