4/23/24 6:50PM Tigers @ Rays

We are going near the TB region this year for vacation, we went in 2021 but they had red tide which made swimming in the gulf not really an option, plus it rained 3 of the 4 days.  This will be a do over.  My wife is like "Why don't we go to a game?"  I'm trying to tell her that stadium is horrible and I have no desire.  I'm open to going to a minor league game somewhere if we can find one.  As it is, they are away anyway so dodged that bullet. "What kind of fan are you if you don't want to go to another MLB ballpark".  "The kind of fan that doesn't need to go to the equivalent of the Pontiac Silverdome"

• Like 1

My son and some of his buddies flew down to see the Giants and Rays play the Trop a week ago. I know he enjoyed the two games he saw there. I asked him if he would go back there some day to see another game. He never really committed one way or another. 

Edited by 1776

I'm strange for being a big baseball fan but on vacation I have no real desire to go to an MLB park for a game... I'd rather spend that time doing something I can't normally do.  I go to 30 MLB games a year.  THe only exception would be something like Yankee Stadium, Fenway, or Pittsburgh.   I've been outside of the stadium in SF so I feel like I already went there.

Part of it is cost.... I'm already a few thousand bucks in the hole and we're dropping a few hundred here and there while on vacation.... I don't want to add to that. 

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

We are going near the TB region this year for vacation, we went in 2021 but they had red tide which made swimming in the gulf not really an option, plus it rained 3 of the 4 days.  This will be a do over.  My wife is like "Why don't we go to a game?"  I'm trying to tell her that stadium is horrible and I have no desire.  I'm open to going to a minor league game somewhere if we can find one.  As it is, they are away anyway so dodged that bullet. "What kind of fan are you if you don't want to go to another MLB ballpark".  "The kind of fan that doesn't need to go to the equivalent of the Pontiac Silverdome"

Go to Lakeland and see the Flying Tigers. It’s fairly close. If you’ve been to that area before, I’m sure you’ve been to Joker Marchant Stadium. It’s a nice park.

Edited by Evil Roy Slade

30 minutes ago, oblong said:

You have several minor league stadiums near Tampa, including Tampa.

Clearwater

Dunedin

Bradenton

Tampa

Lakeland, furthest out.

I'm assuming none of this is new information to you.

yeah we looked into it in 2021 but the weather wasn't optimal.... I know, it's Florida in the summer, it can rain anytime but the week we were there it was like that all day.  I really love the gulf area.  I'm a "play it by ear" person on vacation, I hate agendas.  We might find outselves at 2 pm deciding to go and we'll see what's available.

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Last night Johnny Kane said the Trop is his favorite stadium and would fight anyone who said otherwise. He may or may not have an interview there this week.

He was also standing in front of the Kane's Furniture advertising when he made that comment so I wonder if he was being extremely sarcastic with his commentary.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, oblong said:

Have you been to a game in Lakeland?  If not, I recommend it.  I also don't have a desire to go to ALL the MLB parks.  I had to see Tiger Stadium and Comerica.  I went to Pittsburgh, because it's a great park and I wanted to do a road trip.  I used to go to Montreal because it's a unique environment even though the park itself was bad. However, I am not going to make a point of visiting a crappy park just to experience every park.  

31 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm strange for being a big baseball fan but on vacation I have no real desire to go to an MLB park for a game... I'd rather spend that time doing something I can't normally do.  I go to 30 MLB games a year.  THe only exception would be something like Yankee Stadium, Fenway, or Pittsburgh.   I've been outside of the stadium in SF so I feel like I already went there.

Part of it is cost.... I'm already a few thousand bucks in the hole and we're dropping a few hundred here and there while on vacation.... I don't want to add to that. 

We did a tour of Fenway right before we left Boston last year.  It was fine to walk around and check stuff out, but I can't imagine sitting anywhere in there except for maybe on the Monster for 9 innings.  The seats are just so cramped together.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

He was also standing in front of the Kane's Furniture advertising when he made that comment so I wonder if he was being extremely sarcastic with his commentary.

I think since Benetti has joined the team he's raised the bar on all of them.  We'll need to be more on the ball lest stuff doesn't fly over our heads. 

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I went to Pittsburgh, because it's a great park and I wanted to do a road trip.

I liked Pittsburgh.  We walked across the Clemente Bridge.  Sat in the RF bleachers.  Walked around the stadium and took in the game at different spots for a short time during the game.  The spiral walkway in the LF corner is a good SRO type of view of the city and the field.  The lower deck seats in LF were pretty neat, too; you never see a lower deck section quite that small, so that unique aspect was interesting.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

I liked Pittsburgh.  We walked across the Clemente Bridge.  Sat in the RF bleachers.  Walked around the stadium and took in the game at different spots for a short time during the game.  The spiral walkway in the LF corner is a good SRO type of view of the city and the field.  The lower deck seats in LF were pretty neat, too; you never see a lower deck section quite that small, so that unique aspect was interesting.

Surprisingly, it was a great city too.  I wasn't really expecting that.  I loved the river walk.  

Edited by Tiger337

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

We did a tour of Fenway right before we left Boston last year.  It was fine to walk around and check stuff out, but I can't imagine sitting anywhere in there except for maybe on the Monster for 9 innings.  The seats are just so cramped together.

Fenway is a park every fan should visit once because of its history and uniqueness, but it's actually a terrible place to watch a game.  I rarely go anymore.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

definitely. We've had some of our best days doing something on the fly when plan A fell through or just didn't look all that interesting.

we are going on a cousins trip in early August to Jeckyl Isand, GA.... there's a good reason for it I won't get into, but I'm fearing that one of them has "things lined up" for us.  It's just a weekend and I guess I will have to play along.  I just don't like being told what to do when I have spent about $2K for hotels, a car, and flights.  Someone's like "We'll go golfing...".  Again, another thing I don't care to do on vacation.  I'm not spending 4 hours walking on a course and drinking so that I can come back to the hotel and crash.  I can golf here.  A golf course here and a golf course there are the same in my opinion.  I'd rather lay or sit on the beach and see the Atlantic Ocean because we don't have that in MI.   Or walk around the Island and explore some history.

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Fenway is a park every fan should visit once because of its history and uniqueness, but it's actually a terrible place to watch a game.  I rarely go anymore.

While we were there, players had been arriving to the park.  Nothing was going on out on the field besides grounds keeping.  But when we left, we walked along the street that is used for player/coach parking, and there were some wheels out there.

Two fun facts I got from there.  (1) Was the tornado that demolished part of the OF stands way back when, maybe over 100 years ago.  (2) Was the impressive fruit & vegetable garden that they have on property outside of the upper deck along the 3B line. 

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Surprisingly, it was a great city too.  I wasn't really expecting that.  I loved the river walk.  

Pittsburgh has changed a lot from when I was very young living near there. They made the successful transition from a mill town to banking and medicine. My wife has a conference there in September, I'm looking forward to spending some more time there then

Just now, CMRivdogs said:

Pittsburgh has changed a lot from when I was very young living near there. They made the successful transition from a mill town to banking and medicine. My wife has a conference there in September, I'm looking forward to spending some more time there then

Since most of our travel tends to be off season, I've had the luck of being in a MLB town when there's no one there. I've enjoyed walking around the Giants' Park in SF and Coors in Denver. We've done a couple of trips to Camden Yards in the last several years, I think it's a nice park to watch a game, especially in the upper level. Same with Petco(?) in San Diego. I liked the location, walking distance from our hotel on the river.

I really need to get to a few minor league games near here. Norfolk, Richmond, Fredericksburg and Salem, possibly Lynchburg. The first three are within two hours, just need the motivation.

Good friends of ours have a son attending Carnegie Mellon and they go to Pittsburgh a few times a semester, they're trying to get us to go.  We might go this summer when their son is home b/c they are payig for his place all year.  They go on and on how cool it is there.