4/23/24 6:50PM Tigers @ Rays

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

Good friends of ours have a son attending Carnegie Mellon and they go to Pittsburgh a few times a semester, they're trying to get us to go.  We might go this summer when their son is home b/c they are payig for his place all year.  They go on and on how cool it is there.

Google maps shows part of the remaining right field wall from Forbes Field about a 15 minute walk from CM. I think home plate is at the entrance to Pitt Law School. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oblong said:

We are going near the TB region this year for vacation, we went in 2021 but they had red tide which made swimming in the gulf not really an option, plus it rained 3 of the 4 days.  This will be a do over.  My wife is like "Why don't we go to a game?"  I'm trying to tell her that stadium is horrible and I have no desire.  I'm open to going to a minor league game somewhere if we can find one.  As it is, they are away anyway so dodged that bullet. "What kind of fan are you if you don't want to go to another MLB ballpark".  "The kind of fan that doesn't need to go to the equivalent of the Pontiac Silverdome"

I went there once when I was a kid, like 20 years ago.... I recall it being not a terrible place to watch a game insofar that the seating layout is more conducive to baseball than most stadiums like that (ie. domes). Which makes sense given that it was built in part to try to attract MLB relocation. But, aesthetically, it's just a cold, ugly looking place with little character.

The Metrodome remains the worst place I've ever seen a game at.... Shea Stadium and Olympic Stadium are up there, but the Metrodome was an all-of-the-above mix of ugly and horrendous sightlines.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Metrodome was an all-of-the-above mix of ugly and horrendous sightlines.

don't remember the view being particular bad at the metrodome (always a matter of what seats you have!) but yes it was dumpy, the sound was both deafening and completely unintelligible, and the bounce in the outfield made the game a joke. But it was convenient as the SO was working across the street.

6 hours ago, casimir said:

We did a tour of Fenway right before we left Boston last year.  It was fine to walk around and check stuff out, but I can't imagine sitting anywhere in there except for maybe on the Monster for 9 innings.  The seats are just so cramped together.

We went to Fenway in 1992 when the Tigers were in town in September. On Saturday night we sat on the third base side and on the Sunday game we sat behind the first base dugouts. Wanted to get the two perspectives of the park. I’’m 6’3” and the seats were not an issue for me. Glad we went when we did. 

39 minutes ago, casimir said:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4413892,-79.9529278,3a,15y,81.94h,95.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVzJIFILwm8XDOu0GVEytIw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

image.thumb.png.85fd39eb80cd340d82de5205e3b6ed7c.pngMy wife has a conference in Pittsburgh in September. I may add this to my exploring the area. It's close enough to a major so that the dog and I get exercise. We've always seem to drive thru or bypass Pittsburgh on our recent trips south.. 

• Like 1

One of my best friends who graduated from East Detroit High in 1965 now lives in Clearwater and he loves Tropicana. He likes the fact that it’s air-conditioned and forgives it for all of its other sins. He always sees the Tigers when they come down there although he’s a big Rays fan too, which makes sense. I met him in Tucson when he and a whole passel of Detroiters move down to Tucson and we were able to enjoy the 1984 season together as ‘men of the cloth’ so to speak. I spent most of my life being the only Tigers fan I knew, and it was incredible to be around people in my own age group who lived through 1968 and saw the Tigers as a church they attended with pride. 

By the way, I listened to the first podcast by Jason Benetti and Dan Dickerson today and it was really good. I look forward to one every two weeks, which I guess is how they’re going to do it. How Dan got his break when he was subbing along side with Ernie for the last game ever played at Tiger Stadium and he got to do an inning was really cool. It was the first real baseball announcing he ever did and it was good enough to land him a full-time job the next year. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

don't remember the view being particular bad at the metrodome (always a matter of what seats you have!) but yes it was dumpy, the sound was both deafening and completely unintelligible, and the bounce in the outfield made the game a joke. But it was convenient as the SO was working across the street.

I sat down the 3rd base line the time I went, which meant craning one's neck at a 50 degree angle the entire game. At least in my experience.

5 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Remember that time Peredes was a Tiger but Avila was a dumbass? That was cool...

I remember the vast majority of Tiger fans praising Avila for the Paredes for Meadows trade when it went down.

• Like 3