5/1/24 1:10PM Cardinals @ Tigers

2 hours ago, oblong said:

agree.  Even last year when "struggling" he was still smoking the ball for outs.  I don't see that to the same degree this year. 

Yup. I remember last year, we all knew if he kept hitting the ball so hard, he was going to have success. Hated to see him making outs when he was crushing the ball but we knew what was coming. This year, he just looks lost at the plate.

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Walla Walla has a nice Downtown and that’s where you can run into Kyle McLaughlin who did all the films with David Lynch. He has a winery there. It’s not the heavily forested area of the northwest though. 

I think there's a mother - son team from Walla Walla on Amazing Race.  No spoilers, please, the wife and I are behind a few episodes.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Astute observation.

2024-05-02_10-13-45.thumb.jpg.625b6d36d5d1df0cb2d9209121d8189d.jpg

Just an amateur guess, but,.....

He doesn't swing at the first pitch, so if anyone has done even the slightest armchair scouting, Torkelson should be down 0-1 in the count.  Then an outside pitch somewheres for strike 2.  Then its either weak contact on a 2 strike count or just a strikeout.  Seems a fairly easy task for a MLB pitcher.

Edited by casimir

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Whatever he's doing, he's doing wrong. Not using his legs? Did he learn anything from Miggy? Cabrera was just a shell of himself once his legs started betraying him. Hitters need a good foundation to drive the ball.

That's what I noticed from the interview. How can his approach be the opposite of everyone else? If he had a 900 OPS at some point then I understand it but he hasn't.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, casimir said:

Just an amateur guess, but,.....

He doesn't swing at the first pitch, so if anyone has done even the slightest armchair scouting, Torkelson should be down 0-1 in the count.  Then an outside pitch somewheres for strike 2.  Then its either weak contact on a 2 strike count or just a strikeout.  Seems a fairly easy task for a MLB pitcher.

I think it's pretty simple. He has to stop hunting inside when the book on him is to pitch him outside because he won't swing there. I don't really see any complexity - if he won't swing at outside strikes, he will continue be called out on them or end up down 0-2 where he's reduced to guessing on off-speed. If he were trying to cover outside and missing, then you have a mechanics/coaching issue to work through - but seems he can hit the outside pitch when that's his focus. He's letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, or of success at all for that matter.

Edited by gehringer_2

I think it’s really difficult for someone to overhaul his approach in the middle of a season at the major league level, and that’s even assuming he’s willing to try, which, I’m not sure exactly where Tork’s head is on that.

Sending him to Toledo should probably be in the cards, but Mark Canha is the only guy on the team who can hold down first, and we’d probably have to bring up Keston Hiura, who ain’t exactly setting the International League on fire, especially lately. And how long would Tork have to stay in Toledo to get himself right? Because I don’t think it’s gonna happen in a week, and if we send him down for a week then bring him back and he’s still sucking or worse, it’s gonna make us look like an organization of chaos. It’s probably gonna take some time to fix him.

Yeah, it’s a bit of a quandary, all right.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I think it’s really difficult for someone to overhaul his approach in the middle of a season at the major league level, and that’s even assuming he’s willing to try, which, I’m not sure exactly where Tork’s head is on that.

Sending him to Toledo should probably be in the cards, but Mark Canha is the only guy on the team who can hold down first, and we’d probably have to bring up Keston Hiura, who ain’t exactly setting the International League on fire, especially lately. And how long would Tork have to stay in Toledo to get himself right? Because I don’t think it’s gonna happen in a week, and if we send him down for a week then bring him back and he’s still sucking or worse, it’s gonna make us look like an organization of chaos. It’s probably gonna take some time to fix him.

Yeah, it’s a bit of a quandary, all right.

Canha played first base but didn't Ibanez play there a few times? We gotta have somebody who can, the way Hinch has guys that can play multiple positions. Long term, maybe not. But for a couple of weeks, maybe?

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Canha played first base but didn't Ibanez play there a few times? We gotta have somebody who can, the way Hinch has guys that can play multiple positions. Long term, maybe not. But for a couple of weeks, maybe?

No, it was Urshela. He probably just filled in a few innings but he wouldn't be replacing a gold glove defender. : )

7 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He’s played 150 or so innings, but we’re gonna have to bring up a positional players anyway if we were to send Tork down, so it might as well be a guy the clock is already ticking on, like Hiura. He’s only gonna get one shot anyway since he’s out of options.

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

No, it was Urshela. He probably just filled in a few innings but he wouldn't be replacing a gold glove defender. : )

I think we probably need Urshela at third more.

• Like 1

Just now, chasfh said:

He’s played 150 or so innings, but we’re gonna have to bring up a positional players anyway if we were to send Tork down, so it might as well be a guy the clock is already ticking on, like Hiura. He’s only gonna get one shot anyway since he’s out of options.

But that spot would be Urshela. Unless they send Meadows down when they activate him. But yeah, I agree we would need a 1st baseman. But....Tork ain't going nowhere.

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

Why not Baddoo?  Removing Canha from the OF opens up an OF spot.

I know there were a few comments about trying Carpenter at 1B.  That's probably something that might be nice to try in spring training, but given how this team is so dependent upon pitching and defense, I'm not sure its a regular season experiment.

I have no desire to bring up Hiura.  He's not on the 40, he's a hack at 1B, his offense has been OK like you said.  I guess the priority would be to get Torkelson back on the right path for the long term and short term pain would be acceptable.  Its just to tough right now without the backup 1B.

Given how Canha is a key cog in the offense right now, he's not going to sit much.  I think I'd take my chances with Ibanez as the backup 1B right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Why not Baddoo?  Removing Canha from the OF opens up an OF spot.

I know there were a few comments about trying Carpenter at 1B.  That's probably something that might be nice to try in spring training, but given how this team is so dependent upon pitching and defense, I'm not sure its a regular season experiment.

I have no desire to bring up Hiura.  He's not on the 40, he's a hack at 1B, his offense has been OK like you said.  I guess the priority would be to get Torkelson back on the right path for the long term and short term pain would be acceptable.  Its just to tough right now without the backup 1B.

Given how Canha is a key cog in the offense right now, he's not going to sit much.  I think I'd take my chances with Ibanez as the backup 1B right now.

I don’t think there’s any really great answer here, which is why I think they might hang with Tork and hope for the best for at least a few more weeks. He’s at about 50 wRC+ for the past week, which is awful, but probably not much different from what we might expect from a freely-available replacement. Maybe all he needs to do is pop a couple in the next couple of weeks and we probably won’t be talking about this much for a while.

I think we know what we have in Baddoo.  Saw this movie last season—good AAA player who gets exposed in the bigs.  Nice stopgap option, but I don’t see him as a solution.  We’ll see him at some point when one of our OF goes down.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I think we know what we have in Baddoo.  Saw this movie last season—good AAA player who gets exposed in the bigs.  Nice stopgap option, but I don’t see him as a solution.  We’ll see him at some point when one of our OF goes down.

We probably do know what Baddoo is.  I only bring him up in the event the Tigers do think Torkelson needs a refresher at Toledo and roster fallout that ensues.  I doubt they send him to Toledo.  I expect he pulls out of this slump at some point.  But who knows where things will be at around Memorial Day.

Heck, the Astros optioned Jose Abreau.  Who predicted that to happen?

1 hour ago, casimir said:

We probably do know what Baddoo is.  I only bring him up in the event the Tigers do think Torkelson needs a refresher at Toledo and roster fallout that ensues.  I doubt they send him to Toledo.  I expect he pulls out of this slump at some point.  But who knows where things will be at around Memorial Day.

Heck, the Astros optioned Jose Abreau.  Who predicted that to happen?

Not opposed to demoting Tork, but would rather see Malloy come up.

Posted (edited)

Meadows is the candidate to go down. He needs to get K's under control and fix his swing path to get the ball down. Those are good MiLB assignments - at least for as long as Perez can hold onto a gig. If Perez falls off, then you evaluate which of he and Meadows is doing better at that point.

Keith is also scuffling horribly - 2/45. But his K rate is under control - his xBA is 245 and his BaBIP 190 so he has had some pretty terrible luck. I think he is less in need of some obvious fix that needs space to work on the way Parker is.

The question with Keith is whether he pulls out of it before his confidence goes into the death spiral.

Edited by gehringer_2

56 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

agreed I think we need to see what we have with Malloy ,,, could he be another Perez?

Have my doubts. Malloy is kind of a one-trick pony. He has this fabulous MiLB walk rate that inflates his OPS, but he is only 280 minor league hitter striking out nearly 35% of the time so far. Once you take away the walks that he won't get form MLB pitchers, and find some place to hide is D, I'm not sure you have a valuable Major Leaguer. Hard to know what Perez will look like in another 100 AB, but for now he is a better bat to ball hitter and plays some D.  That said, I do think Malloy's MLB prospects would increase materially if they brought the challenge system to MLB and his good zone judgement weren't so subject to being foiled by the typical MLB umpire's daily strike zone eccentricities.