5/1/24 1:10PM Cardinals @ Tigers

19 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you think it's a case of Wency not realizing that he's probably not that good and he's just kind of going with it.  The second he starts thinking he's finished...................

Ibanez can't run? 

Parker was going in to play CF anyway.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Pinch-runner Parker Meadows thrown out stealing to end the inning. Thanks, Hinch. 😏

Not sure why he didn't go to second on the throw home, which looked like it was thrown too high for there to have been any chance for it to be cut off.

Edited by gehringer_2

23 minutes ago, oblong said:

Where's all the Debbie Downer's after another series win?  Oh yeah..... it's no fun being a sports fan when the team wins for some people.

Shoulda swept. 😁

But Perez looks legit. Nice catch in right field. The kid has only been playing the OF since spring training? This last spring? If so, that's pretty amazing. He'll only get better!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Shoulda swept. 😁

But Perez looks legit. Nice catch in right field. The kid has only been playing the OF since spring training? This last spring? If so, that's pretty amazing. He'll only get better!

He  played ~40 games in the OF in the minors before this season. Still not much.

Just now, IdahoBert said:

It’s not exactly like landing on Omaha Beach, but the next road trip is pretty challenging. 

Not being able to beat the A.L. East last year cost us a chance to win the division. We beat Tampa 2 out of 3 on the road so keep winning on the road and we may see the playoffs this fall. Just get in and anything can happen. Or...so I've heard. Lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

He  played ~40 games in the OF in the minors before this season. Still not much.

Just a beginner. As he gets more experience, he should get better. Is he that kid we signed when he was 15 years old or something? Another Al Avila gem!

Posted (edited)

31 games into the season and the Tigers have only lost 6 games by more than 2 runs. Then again, they've only won 8 games by more than 2 runs. So more than half (17 of 31) have been 1-run or 2-run games.

EDIT: that may not be that unusual. Seems that around 25% of MLB games are decided by 1-run, and around 45-50% are decided by 2 runs or fewer.

Edited by lordstanley

I hope the bad old days when we could lose 18 games a year to Cleveland will never happen again. There needs to be some serious karmic payback to make up for that. I’m not hoping for something like out of “Fallout.“ I would just like to see us win more than we lose against Cleveland. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I hope the bad old days when we could lose 18 games a year to Cleveland will never happen again. There needs to be some serious karmic payback to make up for that. I’m not hoping for something like out of “Fallout.“ I would just like to see us win more than we lose against Cleveland. 

Tigers went 9-4 against Cleveland last year. Hopefully it was the start of a trend. 

• Like 1

I know it's been said ad nauseum, but if Tork can at least just start hitting some dongs/for power, that one thing could put a charge into the upward trajectory of this team in the div...man I hope he can turn it on soon.

3 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

I know it's been said ad nauseum, but if Tork can at least just start hitting some dongs/for power, that one thing could put a charge into the upward trajectory of this team in the div...man I hope he can turn it on soon.

It sounds like he'll get the chance to. Hinch sounds like he's sticking with him for the duration. He had an interview that aired during the game. Better hope he starts hitting for power because he's our 1st baseman.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It sounds like he'll get the chance to. Hinch sounds like he's sticking with him for the duration. He had an interview that aired during the game. Better hope he starts hitting for power because he's our 1st baseman.

Unfortunately I tend to think it's an over emphasis on trying for the long ball which has him in the hole. I'd recommend he take heed of Magglio's maxim: "Don't try to do too much". If he'd concentrate just on being a tougher out, realize he can't change the way pitchers are pitching him except by hitting what and where they are throwing, the power is there and the HR will follow being a better hitter. 

Today after they threw him outside in his 1st AB, he sat on the outside pitch in his second AB and easily roped a hit to RF, but then went right back to habit in the next when was he called out taking a thigh high heater on the outer half. That's all he's going to see until he's willing to hit that pitch more than one AB per game.

He does have one other alternative, which is to move up on the plate so he can look for the outside pitch and still turn on it, but if he does that they'll be busting him inside and tying him up within a day or two, but it would at least be worth a shot if he won't look go the other way more.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Unfortunately I tend to think it's an over emphasis on trying for the long ball which has him in the hole. I'd recommend he take heed of Magglio's maxim: "Don't try to do too much". If he'd concentrate just on being a tougher out, realize he can't change the way pitchers are pitching him except by hitting what and where they are throwing, the power is there and the HR will follow being a better hitter. 

Today after they threw him outside in his 1st AB, he sat on the outside pitch in his second AB and easily roped a hit to RF, but then went right back to habit in the next when was he called out taking a thigh high heater on the outer half. That's all he's going to see until he's willing to hit that pitch more than one AB per game.

He does have one other alternative, which is to move up on the plate so he can look for the outside pitch and still turn on it, but if he does that they'll be busting him inside and tying him up within a day or two, but it would at least be worth a shot if he won't look go the other way more.

Did he hit any of his home runs last year to the opposite field? It seems like he has plenty of power to hit them out. Miggy should gave taught him. 😁

12 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Did he hit any of his home runs last year to the opposite field? It seems like he has plenty of power to hit them out. Miggy should gave taught him. 😁

Statcast spray chart for 2023 says he hit 6 HR to RF so there is no reason he should be such a pull happy guy. The two choices would seem to be either he is dumb, or he is doing what the Tigers have encouraged him to, either overtly or subconsciously. I take no position either way.

Spray Chart

Two things stick out to me in hindsight. First, this article predicted Greene's performance this year:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/these-three-hitters-can-hit-their-peak-projection-in-2024/

Second, when Tork and Greene appeared on MLB Network while they were going to play the Mets, they talked about their hitting approaches. Tork's approach was the opposite of Greene's and the opposite of any other hitter the host had ever talked to. Maybe now would be a good time to re-evaluate his approach.

https://www.mlb.com/video/greene-and-torkelson-take-a-look-at-their-swings