5/1/24 1:10PM Cardinals @ Tigers

"It’s definitely fixable," A.J. Hinch said Wednesday on 97.1 The Ticket. "This guy’s still really young and learning his way. He didn’t hit 30 homers last year by accident. The talent is in there. The consistency has been tough this month and he’s paying the consequence of it with less performance than what he's capable of. We’ve stayed really patient with him and we’re going to continue to stay patient with him, but there’s no doubt that he needs to be better for us to be the best team (we can be)."

"I think some of it is timing, some of it is, he gets caught in between quite a bit, and that’s a very natural mistake for a hitter who’s trying to do a little bit too much and cover everything," said Hinch. "He's late on fastballs where it’s either swing and miss or a pop-up, or early on breaking balls where he has to commit without seeing the pitch. In some ways I think Tork could sell out either way and have a plan to attack something, as opposed to try to cover everything."

https://www.audacy.com/971theticket/sports/detroit-tigers/a-j-hinch-detroit-tigers-wont-demote-spencer-torkelson

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, kdog said:

this is close to the way I would put it - I wouldn't necessarily say he's trying too hard to cover *everything* as being unwilling to decide to look outside before he has 2 strikes. His last two hits were up the middle rather than pulled so I liked that. I don't know if the org has over encouraged it because they need the long ball, but I think it's been very counter productive for Tork to be as pull centric as he has started this season. The pitches to hit deep are more likely to come when he proves to pitchers they can't get him out so easily away. What is frustrating is that he showed clearly enough at times last season he can go the other way, and even do it with power, but it hasn't been in his game plan this season.

Edited by gehringer_2

I really don't like Riley leading off. Not because of the 1st inning, but later in the game. Look who hits before him, there's a very good chance he'll be batting the entire game with nobody on base. Seems like a bit of a waste. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I really don't like Riley leading off. Not because of the 1st inning, but later in the game. Look who hits before him, there's a very good chance he'll be batting the entire game with nobody on base. Seems like a bit of a waste. 

agree. Most AB is not the right criteria - it's most potential to generate runs in however many AB. If he misses one AB a week batting 2 or 3 instead of 1st but has three or 4  more ABs with men on base....

On many teams it wouldn't make as much difference as with the Tigers where the the bottom of the order has really low OBP right now.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

agree. Most AB is not the right criteria - it's most potential to generate runs in however many AB. If he misses one AB a week batting 2 or 3 instead of 1st but has three or 4  more ABs with men on base....

On many teams it wouldn't make as much difference as with the Tigers where the the bottom of the order has really low OBP right now.

Asking for a lot of solo home runs. I wonder how many of his 7 home runs have been solo? I get it, we need runners on base but having him in the leadoff spot seems like a waste. Who else do we have? I think Hinch's choices are very limited.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Sabermetrically,the best hitter should bat second because that is the spot where you maximize the combination of run scoring and RBI opportunities.  Ideally, the leadoff hitter gets on base a lot, but doesn't necessarily hit for power.   

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Sabermetrically,the best hitter should bat second because that is the spot where you maximize the combination of run scoring and RBI opportunities.  Ideally, the leadoff hitter gets on base a lot, but doesn't necessarily hit for power.   

But isn't that assuming your #7, 8, and 9 hitters are at least league average? The lower part of the Tiger lineup is really struggling.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But isn't that assuming your #7, 8, and 9 hitters are at least league average? The lower part of the Tiger lineup is really struggling.

I am assuming the the 7,8 and 9 hitters won't be .450 OPS hitters all year.  If they are are, it won't matter where anyone bats.  

36 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Lol...I've read about the Ducky Medwick incident before but I never saw that video. Poor Ducky!

This is a great recap of the 1934 World Series, specifically the Medwick incident. Radio clips, video clips, shots of the Briggs Stadium bleachers, interviews decades later with Greenberg and others. Imagine if social media was around back then - Tigers win their first pennant in 25 years, take a 3-2 series lead, then lose the final two games at home including a Game 7 blowout.

• Like 2