#23 Ohio Skool of Dishwashing and Playing with Oneself (in best schools for veterans) at #8 Michigan (in best schools for veterans).

romad1

• romad1 changed the title to #23 Ohio Skool of Dishwashing and Playing with Oneself (in best schools for veterans) at #8 Michigan (in best schools for veterans).

OSU had zero trouble with the MSU run game. They will probably sell out to stop ours as well. The 'might have been' for this season is how much better the M passing game might be now if Harbaugh hadn't kept it under wraps for 6 weeks. TBF probably still not good enough to go possession to possession against Stroud and that receiving corps.  It is what it is, they are pretty special.  M just doesn't have the horses in the passing game. The kids catching it today are talented but as a group they the lack the size to go up against stronger defenders.

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

OSU had zero trouble with the MSU run game. They will probably sell out to stop ours as well. The 'might have been' for this season is how much better the M passing game might be now if Harbaugh hadn't kept it under wraps for 6 weeks. TBF probably still not good enough to go possession to possession against Stroud and that receiving corps.  It is what it is, they are pretty special.  M just doesn't have the horses in the passing game. The kids catching it today are talented but as a group they the lack the size to go up against stronger defenders.

Concur 

I'll watch this game. They will get blown out. I will get angry. They will lose by a lot. I will wonder why I watched this game and go back to posing about firing Harbaugh. Rinse, wash, and repeat for every season thereafter. I think it's going to be 62-30 or so. I'll eat an entire bucket of crow if Michigan finds a way to keep this as a one score game, let alone win it.

CJ Stroud is playing incredible football lately and Ohio State's offense is firing on all cylinders and then some. I expect no less than 4-5 TD passes from Stroud and expect Olave and Wilson to have a field day out there against our secondary, just as they did to MSU. Unlike State, I think we a better defensive line, we'll be able to get a few stops and get possession a few more times and a few scores as a result.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'll watch this game. They will get blown out. I will get angry. They will lose by a lot. I will wonder why I watched this game and go back to posing about firing Harbaugh. Rinse, wash, and repeat for every season thereafter. I think it's going to be 62-30 or so. I'll eat an entire bucket of crow if Michigan finds a way to keep this as a one score game, let alone win it.

CJ Stroud is playing incredible football lately and Ohio State's offense is firing on all cylinders and then some. I expect no less than 4-5 TD passes from Stroud and expect Olave and Wilson to have a field day out there against our secondary, just as they did to MSU. Unlike State, I think we a better defensive line, we'll be able to get a few stops and get possession a few more times and a few scores as a result.

just dont even watch.

and if michigan pulls off a miracle and wins, dont bother posting.  we know how disappointed you'll be.

Kids, you wonder what the 1970s were like?  It wasn't all discos, and bell bottoms.  It had this thing going where football coaches could threaten to punch the refs, where the coach would TELL his players to wreck a banner in the opposing stadium.   Where the next time they played a home game, the NFL player alumns who attended that game for Michigan would actively slug it out with the OSU players under the banner even to the point of slugging Woody in order to protect the banner. 

Modern sportsball players do not take things as seriously as these guys did.

I think there are reasons to believe this game may be closer to a 2016 showing than 2019.

Ohio State generally plays their best game of the season against Michigan, but I have a hard time believing they could play any better than they did against MSU. Michigan now has a tape of exactly what the very best they can expect from Ohio State is. The national narrative is that Ohio State is going to walk all over Michigan, and that plays an impact on college kids in both directions.

I think by talent alone Ohio State is roughly 14 points better than Michigan. Make it 10-13 points for Michigan being at home. If Ohio State plays out of their mind again, it could be a 24-30+ point game. If they play to their mean performance, AND Michigan capitalizes on mistakes, AND Michigan severely limits their own mistakes, it could be a closer game than many expect.

....... but they'll probably lose by a lot.

Very amused by the talmudic argumentativeness of our fans.  You can't say anything about Custer's Gettysburg battlecry or Bo or whatever without a ton of gainsaying and tongue clucking.  Don't change Michigan fanbase. 

Edited by romad1

Sure, Michigan will likely lose on Saturday, perhaps badly. But if you can’t enjoy this Michigan 10-1 season so far and the buildup to this week’s game; why even suffer the aggravation of being a Detroit sports fan the past five years. Despite the odds against them vs OSU, Michigan still has a better shot of playing a playoff game then any Of the Wings, Pistons, Tigers or Lions do the next 12 months. . 

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 3:25 AM, romad1 said:

Kids, you wonder what the 1970s were like?  It wasn't all discos, and bell bottoms.  It had this thing going where football coaches could threaten to punch the refs, where the coach would TELL his players to wreck a banner in the opposing stadium.   Where the next time they played a home game, the NFL player alumns who attended that game for Michigan would actively slug it out with the OSU players under the banner even to the point of slugging Woody in order to protect the banner. 

Modern sportsball players do not take things as seriously as these guys did.

Of course everyone remembers the Rose Bowl vote controversy after the tie, but Michigan had itself to blame with the game in its hands. Take a look from around the 1h 35m mark.

Michigan has the ball at midfield, tie game, a couple of minutes to go when QB Franklin gets injured. Have a 4th and 2 from the 41 with a minute to go but instead of going for it tries a desperation 58 yard old FG attempt that misses. Ball back then was placed on the 20 after a miss. Ohio State throws interception in very next play so Michigan has it at Ohio State 33 with 50 seconds to go. Michigan runs two conservative plays that advances it only a few yards, then with 28 seconds to go on THIRD DOWN tries a 45 FG that misses.

This was years before WJR’s Sports Wrap and I think even before Ron Cameron. But if sports talk radio had been a thing back then …

Not sure about this game.

My brain says OSU is going to win by 21 points or more. 

My gut says UM is going to make this a game and maybe win. They are certainly due. 

I am an OSU fan and have watched every game this year. The only real way to beat OSU is to rattle Stroud early. If Hutchinson sacks him a couple times in the first quarter and/or Stroud throws an INT I think UM has a solid chance at winning. 

If I were UM I would absolutely take the ball first if given the chance. The worst thing you can do is let Stroud and the WRs get into a groove early. If OSU starts with the ball and JSN, Wilson, and Olave are moving the ball with ease, Stroud is throwing dimes, and the defense gets 1 stop the game is over IMHO. 

Also, Wilson and Olave get most of the press, and deservedly so, but in my opinion Jaxon Smith-Njigba is the best WR on the team, and that is just crazy. 

The OSU defense dominated MSU and Purdue (I know Purdue scored 31 points, but most of those were after OSU put in their 3rd string and walk-ons). However, there have been multiple games this year where the OSU defense just cannot get off the field on third down. The pass rush is not remotely as good as it has been in years past. Even in the MSU game, the defense was getting the ball moved on them early, but MSU had two terrible fumbles (one was inexplicably called an incomplete pass). If it wasn't for those two fumbles I think MSU would have scored a few TDs in the first half. It wouldn't have mattered because OSU's offense was going completely off, but I am just saying the defense is not great. 

With that said about the defense, I would expect it to be great next season. Sawyer, JTT, and Williams are going to be a dominate defensive line, the LBs are going to be much better next year with the emergence of Chambers and Hicks hitting campus. Burke is going to be an all-american candidate next year at CB. The safeties are a bit of a question mark, but Hickman has turned into a very solid player.

What I am trying to say is: UM better figure out a way to win this year because I don't think they will have a chance to do so for a few years if they do not. 

As for Harbaugh: I don't like the guy as an OSU fan, but the idea that someone like Matt Campbell is a better coach is looney tunes. 

Edited by RedTeamGo!
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, RedTeamGo! said:

Not sure about this game.

My brain says OSU is going to win by 21 points or more. 

My gut says UM is going to make this a game and maybe win. They are certainly due. 

I am an OSU fan and have watched every game this year. The only real way to beat OSU is to rattle Stroud early. If Hutchinson sacks him a couple times in the first quarter and/or Stroud throws an INT I think UM has a solid chance at winning. 

As for Harbaugh: I don't like the guy as an OSU fan, but the idea that someone like Matt Campbell is a better coach is looney tunes. 

Thank you for the informed, and informative, perspective.

• Like 1