#23 Ohio Skool of Dishwashing and Playing with Oneself (in best schools for veterans) at #8 Michigan (in best schools for veterans).

romad1

All I know is that as a Detroit sports and Michigan fan it is nice to actually be excited for a sporting event cause it has meaning and not just for seeing a particular young player that may or may not help one of our franchises be good years down the road.

As unlikely as a Michigan win would be its nice to just have that hope of winning a big game and possibly competing for a championship.  We've had that feeling a couple years ago with Michigan basketball and a couple other times in recent memory with this game but other than that things like this just haven't happened much the past 7 or 8 years in this state so I'm just enjoying the whole lead up to it and hoping to enjoy the game for as long as possible. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i think ohio state and bama and clemson and the sec schools realize what college football really is in 2021: the minor leagues.  and they have worked within the current system to take advantage of it.  

and im not saying "they all cheat and michigan is pure", i dont believe that for a second (although i think most of those schools do pay players and michigan probably has boosters who do too), but rather those schools can deal more effectively with their admissions and university to get marginal kids in and smooth over some of the rough edges on kids.  i think theres part of harbaugh that still thinks michigan "doesnt play those games and kids are here to go to school" (as evidenced in his comments about michigan when he was stanford's head coach) and that might be the right thing to do for the kids, but is probably not the best way to get a top 5 recruiting class and keep them.

Yep, although I would like to point out OSU football players actually do graduate at a solid clip. Even the ones that go to the NFL. Cardale Jones, who infamously said "We ain't come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS" actually graduated from OSU after being drafted into the NFL. Most overlook that, which I get, it was a really dumb thing to tweet out and easy to make fun of. However, I think there is a lot of truth to that statement for many players at the top football programs. He just said the quiet part out loud. 

With regard to paying players. You don't even have to do that anymore because of NIL. Quinn Ewers, the top recruit in the 2022 class, re-classified to the 2021 class last summer and showed up on campus a year early. Why? Well, he signed a $1.5 million NIL deal with some local company in Columbus. The crazy part is I do not even know if the football program was involved with it. Reading between the lines I do not think Ryan Day was particularly happy with Ewers showing up a year early. You cannot really blame the kid, though, when I was a junior in high school, if someone said to me "hey, the moment you register for classes at the University of Dayton, I am going to give you a check for $1.5 million" you bet your ass I would have graduated early and registered for classes. Fast forward a few months its looking like CJ Stroud has cemented himself as QB1 for the 2022 season already. I highly doubt Ewers is going to sit another season, so he will likely transfer to Texas. The NIL stuff is a double edged sword. I think you are going to start seeing more and more kids re-classify a season early and show up on campus unprepared and coming to the realization they are likely going to have to sit at least 1, maybe 2 seasons until they see playing time. Then their ego-maniac self will transfer to an easier situation. I actually think this is going to help programs like UM. Might be able to get their hands on recruits they would have not been able to in years past. 

With all that said, yes, top college football is absolutely a minor league system for the NFL. If you are trying to be a top 5 program and you are not recruiting with that in mind, you are doing it wrong. 

Edited by RedTeamGo!

1 hour ago, RedTeamGo! said:

Fast forward a few months its looking like CJ Stroud has cemented himself as QB1 for the 2022 season already. I highly doubt Ewers is going to sit another season, so he will likely transfer to Texas. The NIL stuff is a double edged sword.

I think Ewers will stay as he is still so young and all he needs is 1 year of playing to be a top pick.  I do think Miller and  McCord are likely to transfer as it's unlikely they get any real playing time.

Edited by 4hzglory

19 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

I think Ewers will stay as he is still so young and all he needs is 1 year of playing to be a top pick.  I do think Miller and  McCord are likely to transfer as it's unlikely they get any real playing time.

Miller is definitely gone. I bet he transfers to Arizona or Arizona St. 

Will be very interesting to see what McCord does. He has looked quite mediocre in his snaps. I know he is a true freshman, but he does not look like a 5* to me at all. 

Ryan Day has the philosophy of recruiting a top QB recruit every single class. When asked why he does this instead of someone like Dabo's philosophy of recruiting top QBs every 2 years, his response was simply "Because what if you miss?"

I think McCord is a miss, and in a perfect world Ewers would absolutely stay next year as the back-up and starter for 2023. However, I simply am not convinced he will ride it out like that. Day is going after Devin Brown, 5th best QB in the 2022 class, Dante Moore in the 2023 class (13th overall croot out of Detroit), the top QB in the 24 class, im blanking on his name, and actually already offered top QB in 2025 class out of Findlay, OH - Montgomery. This fits his overall philosophy, but the push for Brown tells me he knows Ewers is gone and he sees McCord as a bust. 

2 minutes ago, RedTeamGo! said:

Miller is definitely gone. I bet he transfers to Arizona or Arizona St. 

Will be very interesting to see what McCord does. He has looked quite mediocre in his snaps. I know he is a true freshman, but he does not look like a 5* to me at all. 

Ryan Day has the philosophy of recruiting a top QB recruit every single class. When asked why he does this instead of someone like Dabo's philosophy of recruiting top QBs every 2 years, his response was simply "Because what if you miss?"

I think McCord is a miss, and in a perfect world Ewers would absolutely stay next year as the back-up and starter for 2023. However, I simply am not convinced he will ride it out like that. Day is going after Devin Brown, 5th best QB in the 2022 class, Dante Moore in the 2023 class (13th overall croot out of Detroit), the top QB in the 24 class, im blanking on his name, and actually already offered top QB in 2025 class out of Findlay, OH - Montgomery. This fits his overall philosophy, but the push for Brown tells me he knows Ewers is gone and he sees McCord as a bust. 

Maybe.  I think the push for Brown is because Ewers coming early means both Miller and McCord are gone.  But could be.  Montgomery is interesting  Both ND and OSU offered him early, partly in an attempt to get his brother.  If Ewers had been here this spring, I think he'd for sure be gone, but since he didn't arrive until fall and is already getting paid, I think he stays.  All it takes is an injury to Stroud next year and he is playing early.  If all 3 go, the QB room is definitely in trouble behind Stroud, which is why I think at least 1 stays and I believe it will be Ewers.  It will definitely be interesting to see what happens.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, djhutch said:

The law of averages tells you eventually OSU has to fall. Has to.

M - 33

O - 31

Jake Moody wins it.

I can see it, the fact Vegas put the line at -6.5 and 75% of the bets so far are for OSU and the line hasn't moved much tells me Vegas might know something everyone else doesn't. One thing I have learned as an adult watching sports: very rarely is Vegas wrong. They had the line at -20 against MSU because they had a feeling what was coming, I think they know something about this match-up, and I think it is the year Harbaugh gets a W. 

1 hour ago, RedTeamGo! said:

I can see it, the fact Vegas put the line at -6.5 and 75% of the bets so far are for OSU and the line hasn't moved much tells me Vegas might know something everyone else doesn't. One thing I have learned as an adult watching sports: very rarely is Vegas wrong. They had the line at -20 against MSU because they had a feeling what was coming, I think they know something about this match-up, and I think it is the year Harbaugh gets a W. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Vegas puts into consideration things like Michigan's record against OSU the last 18 years or Harbaugh's record against them. I believe they just look at things in a vacuum based off the stats and matchups and by advanced metrics while OSU is definitely superior to Michigan the spread isn't that huge. Like OSU is 2nd in SP+ and College football FPI(equivalent to BPI and RPI in basketball) while Michigan is 4th. The difference between the two is about 30%, while that sounds like a lot for reference that is the difference between Michigan and the number 13 team in that metric Notre Dame and if Michigan were to play at ND they certainly wouldn't be favored by by anymore than OSU is this game. 

Also in metrics like points differential per drive again OSU is 2nd and Michigan is 5th and again the margin is about 30% and again for reference Michigan is about 30% than teams like ND, Oklahoma ST and Oregon.

One more thing for reference going into last week MSU was around 15th in all these stats where as Michigan was still in the top 5 which is a big reason why the committee still had UM ahead of them despite the head to head loss. 

To sum it up, in Vegas' eyes just pretend the team isn't Michigan but instead say a team similar to Michigan in the metrics like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame or Cincinnati, if OSU were to go on the road to face them how much would they favor them by? I don't think it would be a whole lot more than the spread of this game but since OSU has demolished UM recently fans think it should be alot more despite the fact that majority of the players playing Saturday weren't even playing in any of those games. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RedTeamGo! said:

line went up to osu -8.5 pretty quickly.

i still think that's too low.

I personally think it's low as well but like I pointed out in my previous post it's hard for us Michigan fans to accept but by all metrics we have a pretty damn good team this year and are a legit top 5 team. Is OSU better? Of course but rarely if ever do you see teams favored by more than 10 on the road when they play a top 5 team. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Michigan should be playing the disrespeckt card very hard...except for the lack of winning previous games.

That’s the sliver of hope I see for Michigan. At the end of the day, these are a bunch of 20-something kids playing a game. A lot of things outside of talent can come into play, and all everyone is talking about in the lead up is how dominant Ohio State is and how they’re going to crush Michigan. That can play a role. We’ll see if it does.

I heard a little bit of Harbaugh Tues morning with the radio guys and heard one sort of interesting answer - they asked him why they used the pass play on the run back when they didn't 'need' it against Maryland instead of 'saving' it for OSU. The answer was that OSU's coverages weren't going to allow it to happen, and since they had practiced it, Maryland was the last time they could use it. That was a good college football answer.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Washington being spanked by Washington State tonight. A win for M whose value continues to drop.

that win hasnt had any value since they lost to montana in week 1.

and really, if they win their next two games theyre in.  if they dont, they arent.

I had seen stuff about how the refs were being changed like the jury in "The Untouchables" and that the entire OSU coaching staff was out with COVID.   Seemingly in an attempt to convince people to switch their bets to Michigan.   Now, who does that help?