5/3/24 7:05PM Tigers @ Yankees

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I would have

I would have too. I don’t get the logic in pitching to the guy. Double play was the only hope they had.

Edited by 1776

Too many guaranteed outs in this lineup. At a minimum, Tork needs to be in Toledo, because he's worthless right now. Hinch not sending him down to protect his confidence doesn't seem to be helping his confidence. Finding his swing and raking at AAA just might. This is a game they absolutely should've won but their offense sucks so bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I would have too. I don’t the logic in pitching to the guy. Double play was the only hope they had.

My IDK was partially lazy- not looking at NY's line up and partially worrying if Foley woud walk someone given his trouble lately. He seems to have control though so I probably would have loaded the bases. 

3 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Too many guaranteed outs in this lineup. At a minimum, Tork needs to be in Toledo, because he's worthless right now. Hinch not sending him down to protect his confidence doesn't seem to be helping his confidence. Finding his swing and raking at AAA just might. This is a game they absolutely should've won but their offense sucks so bad.

Agree. The team is bigger than Tork and if something has to change that impacts him, too bad. The team's confidence is the bigger consideration. 

7 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Aside from Baez, they need to figure out if the guaranteed outs will provide value in 2025 and beyond. Their entire offseason posture was about developing these guys in the majors. There's a reason Harris undersold all optimism.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1776 said:

So we’ll see if Harris is going to continue to be hands off I guess. Hate letting these chances get away.

I'm leaning towards the opinion that the org is hesitant to send him down, because if he sucks in Toledo as well, then it's pretty much over for Tork and this org...I mean, if he cant hit there, then he's a bricked 1OA pick contract.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

#1 picks get many chances. A 1-1 pick gets even longer to prove himself. Tork is a victim of his draft position and so are us fans.

And that's why they wont send him down...if he still cant hit in Toledo, he's cooked, and the org has to pay the tab.  It's almost like they've decided if he's bricked, it may as well be in the bigs, but thats not really good for the team as whole.

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

Aside from Baez, they need to figure out if the guaranteed outs will provide value in 2025 and beyond. Their entire offseason posture was about developing these guys in the majors. There's a reason Harris undersold all optimism.

Tork's in his 3rd year and completely lost in all phases of the game. I fail to see how allowing him to continue to fail at this level helps build his confidence for the present or the future, and letting him figure it out in a low leverage atmosphere just might salvage his value going forward. The Detroit Tigers will still be here when he's found his game.

• Like 1