5/4/24 1:10PM Tigers @ Yankees

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I meant he has no MLB track record.  His minor league on base track record is good.  I hope he sustains it in the majors.  

Lee! Forget what may happen and live with what is happening. He's getting on base...ride that hot streak by putting as many run producing hitters after him in the lineup as you can. If he cools off, so be it. Make more necessary changes. That's all I'm saying, not predicting his career trajectory. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I see it as much with him as I do with Perez.  

well, that's fair. Honestly - who expected anything from Perez when they called him up? He mostly got the call because he was a switch hitter and they wanted to cut Parker's AB, not because anyone expected anything. 50 AB is nothing. I like that so far he's been tough to K - K rates usually don't take a huge sample size to get meaningful, but that's about all we have so far.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

Lee! Forget what may happen and live with what is happening. He's getting on base...ride that hot streak by putting as many run producing hitters after him in the lineup as you can. If he cools off, so be it. Make more necessary changes. That's all I'm saying, not predicting his career trajectory. 

I don't think anything should be based on hot streaks because they can end at any time.  Line-ups should be based oln what the manager thinks hitters will do long-term 

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

What is a 6/1 mobility clause? He becomes a FA if not promoted?

If he is not on the 40 man roster, he must be offered via trade to all 29 teams. I do not believe he can opt out.

41 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

... I am just not one to hyperventilate over prospects with less than two weeks in the majors.  

No one is hyperventilating Lee.

YOU'RE the one throwing out exaggerations:

37 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I get it.  His hot start proves that he is superstar!!!

You're the only one who seems to be upset that he has started out hot and therefore using hyperbole.

13 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Perhaps AJ's arguably not doing enough to maximize the lineup, but any givem game he's got at least 3-4 blackhole batters that he has to strategize for...only so much a chef can cook with when 1/3 of his ingedients are poop.

My only real complaint is that Vierling probably needs full time ABs at the moment. AJ likes his optionality and all, and maybe Vierling gets more exposed as a full time hitter, but I think he's been earning that.

Otherwise... you're right. The Top 5 hitters cannot do it all, and three of the remaining 4 (Tork, Keith and Meadows) are younger players whose success are necessary to moving the hitting to the next level. That's on them, it's not on AJ.

29 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Malloy deserves a shot, let Canha and Ibanez handle first.

There is real and meaningful baseball to be played here, and I dont know if they can wait out or work out whatever Tork is going through with him in the big leagues right now.

I am also on board with this.

Send Tork and Meadows down, bring up Malloy and Baddoo (or someone else if they want more IF or versatility...).

Let them work out their hitting problems at Toledo.

It just NEEDS to be done.

Just now, Edman85 said:

If he is not on the 40 man roster, he must be offered via trade to all 29 teams. I do not believe he can opt out.

What exactly does it mean to be offered in trade? I assume that is different from being made available on waivers but how do you enforce that it's real mobility? The Tigers have to take the best offer no matter what it is? 

38 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

What does Tork have to do to get benched? Attack a teammate? Slash Hinch's tires? Seriously...Torkelbust should be sent to Erie...do not pass Toledo...do not collect $200 million. Just....go away. Addition by subtraction. 

he should be benched just for inventing the stupid pizza spear

• Haha 2

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

No one is hyperventilating Lee.

YOU'RE the one throwing out exaggerations:

You're the only one who seems to be upset that he has started out hot and therefore using hyperbole.

I am happy that he is off to a good start.  Why wouldn't I be? Just because I am not convinced that he is as good as his start suggests does not mean I am unhappy with his start.  

You are the one saying that he is their second best hitter because he has a .950 OPS.  That suggests that you think he'll do that all the time which would make him a star.  Thus, my sarcastic comment.

You said that Hinch must think he's their best hitter because he is batting 3rd.  I was pointing out that the optimal line-up has the 4th or 5th best hitter hitting 3rd, so Hinch might think that he is their 4th ot 5th best hitter.  That comment was about line-ups and your antiquated assumption that the best hitter should bat third.  

...   You are the one saying that he is their second best hitter because he has a .950 OPS.  That suggests that you think he'll do that all the time which would make him a star.  Thus, my sarcastic comment.

You said that Hinch must think he's their best hitter because he is batting 3rd.  I was pointing out that the optimal line-up has the 4th or 5th best hitter hitting 3rd, so Hinch might think that he is their 4th ot 5th best hitter.  That comment was about line-ups and your antiquated assumption that the best hitter should bat third.  

"He's the second best hitter" was my sarcastic comment to your "4th or 5th best hitter" comment.

We're going around in circles...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

... and your antiquated assumption that the best hitter should bat third.  

And thank you so much for that.

I could give a rat's ass if my assumption is antiquated or not.

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am happy that he is off to a good start.  Why wouldn't I be? Just because I am not convinced that he is as good as his start suggests does not mean I am unhappy with his start.  

You are the one saying that he is their second best hitter because he has a .950 OPS.  That suggests that you think he'll do that all the time which would make him a star.  Thus, my sarcastic comment.

Well, Hinch should bench Perez because he may stop hitting. And bat Tork cleanup because he thinks he'll start hitting home runs. And lead Greene off so he gets 3 more at bats per week. Results be damned, do whatever feels right. Ugh...

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Well, Hinch should bench Perez because he may stop hitting. And bat Tork cleanup because he thinks he'll start hitting home runs. And lead Greene off so he gets 3 more at bats per week. Results be damned, do whatever feels right. Ugh...

If he stops hitting, he still might be better than half the hitters in the line-up.

And  batting Greene leadoff because he'll get more at bats is perfectly justifiable.  I'd probably put him second, but I have no problem with Hinch's batting orders. 

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

And thank you so much for that.

I could give a rat's ass if my assumption is antiquated or not.

Stat guys refuse to ever deviate from ever going against the percentages. Even when bad results occur over and over. Don't lead Perez off because he may stop hitting. Why? Because he has no track record of producing. Oh...he produced in the minors? I mean, he's never done it at the ML level.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Tork batted a .758 OPS in 2023 in 606 AB's...

That is a MUCH longer track record than Wenceel Perez so he should bat (checks: Lee's notes on sabermetrificating the optimizalled lineup): FOURTH!!!

Tork should bat FOURTH because he was their THIRD best hitter last year and has a LONGER TRACK RECORD than Wenceel Perez so he:

MUST

BAT

FOURTH!!!

(it is so... written in stone...)

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If he stops hitting, he still might be better than half the hitters in the line-up.

And  batting Greene leadoff because he'll get more at bats is perfectly justifiable.  I'd probably put him second, but I have no problem with Hinch's batting orders. 

I would bench Greene because history says he'll just get hurt anyway. Ya gotta play the odds 

... And batting Greene leadoff because he'll get more at bats is perfectly justifiable...

Except for, 

IMO,

The 6 RBI's on his 6 HR's. 

And his ONE HR which actually had men on base.

I'm glad you want Greene to lead the league in solo HR's.

That's AWESOME!!!