5/4/24 1:10PM Tigers @ Yankees

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But the best Tork can do is hit .220 to .230. With a low OBP. He's one-dimensional. HR or bust. But it appears pitchers have the book on him, he chases too many bad pitches and takes too many hittable pitches. He's just not very good.

So let him bat 9th.

And let's see what happens.

Maybe he'll even wake up.

He certainly won't be doing any WORSE than any of our other 6-9th batters this year because... they've ALL been black holes this year.

So... it doesn't matter.

Might as well give it a shot, IMO.

44 minutes ago, oblong said:

I ended up getting the Ballys app.  They have a 7 day trial and with any credit from xfinity that will offset. Hopefully they resolve their problem.  I’m having a tree taken down today so a good opportunity to chill and watch afternoon baseball. 

How are you watching Bally, on a PC? The FF doesn't work very well on my Roku...it jumps all the way to live when trying to FF thru commercials. I watch on my PC now and it works pretty good.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

So let him bat 9th.

And let's see what happens.

Maybe he'll even wake up.

He certainly won't be doing any WORSE than any of our other 6-9th batters this year because... they've ALL been black holes this year.

So... it doesn't matter.

Might as well give it a shot, IMO.

I don't know. If he's not hitting home runs, he's useless. He's not out there for his defense or base running. He has one job, hit Tork bombs. If he doesn't hit, replace him. I don't care where he was drafted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

... There's a reason "traditional" lineups went the way of the dodo bird as smart people took over.

Yes, because it's truly SMART to put .245 and .291 OBP guys in front of your BEST hitter instead of .380 and .368 OBP guys...

IMO, smart people need to stop being STUPID.

I don't know if Hinch will actually catch onto this and stop being stupid, but... apparently not.

26 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Here's my crazy lineup, with crazy reasoning:

1. Canha - best on base guy to put in front of Greene.

2. Wenceel - Switch-hitter, second best on-base guy to put in front of Greene, AND he can avoid hitting into some DP's with his speed.

3. Greene - obviously

4/5th - Depending on pitcher: Lefties = Vierling, righties = Carpenter. 5th batter is the opposite guy.

6. Keith - challenge him.

7-8. whoever else plays, except:

9. Torkelson - this is actually a challenge for him as well as an elimination of pressure ("you're at the bottom so we don't care what you produce... just do your best..."). It's a demotion to the bottom which will be a huge ego-killer for him...

But the GOOD side of this challenge is that if he starts hitting like he's capable, and before there's a decision to move him back up in the lineup... Then he's getting ON-BASE at a much better clip (as he should be), AND that is in front of Canha-Perez-Greene... so he shouldn't feel totally lost or insulted in the 9th spot, if his bat becomes functional again. It actually extends the team offensively if he can find his bat again, from that spot. THAT's the challenge.

That looks like a 1970s line-up.  Canha is OK leading off, but if the whole point of him leading off is to get on base for Greene, why are you sticking Perez between Canha and Greene?  Just put Greene second.  If you think that Perez is going to turn into a good hitter with speed, then have him lead off and bat Greene second.   

I always made the assumption that a guy who played first base in college was sort of a lumbering fellow without a lot of athleticism even if he could hit home runs in college. I assumed he was a one dimensional player, and apparently major-league pitchers have figured out his one dimension. 

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Fans will love this comment, but I really think this is a mistake to air this out to the media.

I don't believe Hinch would throw this out there ignorant of its impact, so this suggests to me that they might be having some friction where Tork is pushing back on Hinch's direction, and this is a way to put Tork on notice. This might also be a bit of CYA here before they send him down to Toledo for a reset. In any event, it appears that Tork and Hinch are not on the best of terms at the moment.

6 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

It’s funny how another 1:1 disappointment avoids criticism. Why is Mize above that?

Wut??? Mize has been decent this year after two huge surgeries.

Just now, Tiger337 said:

That looks like a 1970s line-up.  Canha is OK leading off, but if the whole point of him leading off is to get on base for Greene, why are you sticking Perez between Canha and Greene?  Just put Greene second.  If you think that Perez is going to turn into a good hitter with speed, then have him lead off and bat Greene second.   

Because they are also capable of BOTH being on base, or EITHER (if Canha doesn't/ Perez possibly could), in front of Greene.

Bottom line: I want men on base in front of Greene and where he's at right now, 9 times out of 10 it's no one on base when he comes to bat (I didn't verify that, I just WAG'd that...).

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

It’s funny how another 1:1 disappointment avoids criticism. Why is Mize above that?

Mize is coming off a two season ending injury...let's give him into his third year to see if he sucks at baseball as bad as Tork does in his.

Edited by Dtrain72

10 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Because he's been hurt off the field instead of failing on it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yes, because it's truly SMART to put .245 and .291 OBP guys in front of your BEST hitter instead of .380 and .368 OBP guys...

IMO, smart people need to stop being STUPID.

I don't know if Hinch will actually catch onto this and stop being stupid, but... apparently not.

I think he was referring to this:

"I prefer the traditional location for the best hitter in the lineup: #3 spot."

That has been shown statistically to be a less optimal choice that the best hitter batting first or second. It's certainly possible that some line-ups could benefit from the best hitter batting third depending on the team personnel, but having your best hitter third is not a great idea in general.  

Posted (edited)

PS:

With no runners: .224/.366/.500 = .866, RBI's 6 (6 solo HR's)

With runners on: .378/.455/.595 = 1.050, RBI's 9 (3 D's, 1 triple, 1 HR)

Yeah, I want runners on in front of him. 2, which is better than 1... if the team could manage it...

Edited by 1984Echoes

3 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Mize is coming off a two season ending injury...let's give him into his third year to see if he sucks at baseball as bad as Tork does in his.

So patience is subjective and not universal. Ok