5/4/24 1:10PM Tigers @ Yankees

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Fans will love this comment, but I really think this is a mistake to air this out to the media.

I think they've tried everything..this is probably just frustration. Nothing they do in the cage or on video is translating to the field. 

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

I think they've tried everything..this is probably just frustration. Nothing they do in the cage or on video is translating to the field. 

Totally, it is from a place of frustration or even desperation... it's uncharacteristic of them in the Hinch era to air this stuff out in public and even sort of goes against his philosophy (which he sort of got into with Benetti and Dickerson on their pod).

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Totally, it is from a place of frustration or even desperation... it's uncharacteristic of them in the Hinch era to air this stuff out in public and even sort of goes against his philosophy (which he sort of got into with Benetti and Dickerson on their pod).

He was on 97.1 3 days ago saying he wasn't getting sent down...backed him pretty strongly. I'm not sure if something changed.

Edited by kdog

8 minutes ago, kdog said:

He was on 97.1 3 days ago saying he wasn't getting sent down...backed him pretty strongly. I'm not sure if something changed.

He's still supportive despite these recent comments (imo), but it's definitely more of a window into the frustration. Gives the sense that they are really trying to work with him and the player may not be reciprocating on their effort.

I ended up getting the Ballys app.  They have a 7 day trial and with any credit from xfinity that will offset. Hopefully they resolve their problem.  I’m having a tree taken down today so a good opportunity to chill and watch afternoon baseball. 

26 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Dude has had one elite month in his career. Might be time to George Costanza his approach.

That’s 1 more elite month than the rest of the lineup, but I get it. Batting behind Colt Kieth has to be a slap to the face. Hopefully he wakes up but I just not seeing that happening anytime soon.

Why the F won't Hinch put some on base guys in front of Greene so when he hits these HR's there could actually, possibly, you know, be some freaking base runners on base...?

I know others are annoyed by this...

I'm starting to REALLY get annoyed by this.

We got 1 run last night... and I'm certain batting Greene first played a REAL role in that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Why the F won't Hinch put some on base guys in front of Greene so when he hits these HR's there could actually, possibly, you know, be some freaking base runners on base...?

I know others are annoyed by this...

I'm starting to REALLY get annoyed by this.

We got 1 run last night... and I'm certain batting Greene first played a REAL role in that.

Put your best hitter leadoff. He bats more often.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yep, havent been a fan of Riley hitting leadoff precisely because he is the best hitter.  Maybe when Urshela comes back, he can hit leadoff, Canha 2nd, then Riley 3rd, that just seems optimal for him to have a better chance at driving in runs.

Edited by Dtrain72

First or second seems ideal to me.... if the lineup were a little longer, it'd be nice to put someone with speed or OBP skills in the 9 hole to help with the issue being discussed, but that's not a luxury the Tigers have at the moment

Posted (edited)

I'm fine with first or second. The difference between first and third is about one plate appearance every 4 or 5 games, or about 36 plate appearances over the course of a season. There's a reason "traditional" lineups went the way of the dodo bird as smart people took over.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 2

Here's my crazy lineup, with crazy reasoning:

1. Canha - best on base guy to put in front of Greene.

2. Wenceel - Switch-hitter, second best on-base guy to put in front of Greene, AND he can avoid hitting into some DP's with his speed.

3. Greene - obviously

4/5th - Depending on pitcher: Lefties = Vierling, righties = Carpenter. 5th batter is the opposite guy.

6. Keith - challenge him.

7-8. whoever else plays, except:

9. Torkelson - this is actually a challenge for him as well as an elimination of pressure ("you're at the bottom so we don't care what you produce... just do your best..."). It's a demotion to the bottom which will be a huge ego-killer for him...

But the GOOD side of this challenge is that if he starts hitting like he's capable, and before there's a decision to move him back up in the lineup... Then he's getting ON-BASE at a much better clip (as he should be), AND that is in front of Canha-Perez-Greene... so he shouldn't feel totally lost or insulted in the 9th spot, if his bat becomes functional again. It actually extends the team offensively if he can find his bat again, from that spot. THAT's the challenge.

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Here's my crazy lineup, with crazy reasoning:

1. Canha - best on base guy to put in front of Greene.

2. Wenceel - Switch-hitter, second best on-base guy to put in front of Greene, AND he can avoid hitting into some DP's with his speed.

3. Greene - obviously

4/5th - Depending on pitcher: Lefties = Vierling, righties = Carpenter. 5th batter is the opposite guy.

6. Keith - challenge him.

7-8. whoever else plays, except:

9. Torkelson - this is actually a challenge for him as well as an elimination of pressure ("you're at the bottom so we don't care what you produce... just do your best..."). It's a demotion to the bottom which will be a huge ego-killer for him...

But the GOOD side of this challenge is that if he starts hitting like he's capable, and before there's a decision to move him back up in the lineup... Then he's getting ON-BASE at a much better clip (as he should be), AND that is in front of Canha-Perez-Greene... so he shouldn't feel totally lost or insulted in the 9th spot, if his bat becomes functional again. It actually extends the team offensively if he can find his bat again, from that spot. THAT's the challenge.

But the best Tork can do is hit .220 to .230. With a low OBP. He's one-dimensional. HR or bust. But it appears pitchers have the book on him, he chases too many bad pitches and takes too many hittable pitches. He's just not very good.