5/7/24 6:10PM Tigers @ Indians

Bless You Boys on Meadows/Vilade

Either way, this is mainly about trying to get Meadows enough consistent plate appearances to get on track, and to get another right-handed bat into a lineup that is having trouble matching up against lefties, and is obviously having trouble of all sorts beyond that. We’ll see if they can catch a hot hand in Vilade for a little while, but in general, there’s no one likely to ride to the rescue from Toledo at this point.

Good summary on the Meadows demotion.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

The K's have been Parker's problem all through his career. He seemed to have turned a corner on that last season which is what got him called-up. Regression strikes again.

The strikeouts are fine if he has a .200 average.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, kdog said:

The strikeouts are fine if he has a .200 average.

This is our biggest problem. Guys that are not MLB ready. How many contenders have multiple 25 man players that can't hit MLB pitching? 

5 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

This is our biggest problem. Guys that are not MLB ready. How many contenders have multiple 25 man players that can't hit MLB pitching? 

We're not a contender.

6 minutes ago, kdog said:

But we might we wasting an elite pitching staff and a star turn with Riley Greene.

So I think I've made this post before, sometime during the Dombrowski era, but the Tigers have been a pitching first team ever since DD and even if Harris has a mind to change that, he hasn't done much to do it yet - and here is the problem: If your minor leagues are full of young almost ready hitters, you can bring them up, move them in and out of the lineup, play them part time while retaining a veteran, and build their trade appeal - which you can then use to go get the pitching prospects you may lack. But if you are building a huge stable of starting pitchers, which is certainly a great thing to do, you still have the problem that all but 5 of them are stuck in the minors. You really can't bring guys up  to validate their big league potential without creating rotation havoc, so they don't build the kind of trade value you need to get the top hitting prospects you lack.

I think once way back in the day I heard DD say he liked drafting pitchers because the metrics were more reliable-projectable, and I think that is certainly true. Spin, velo and strike rates are what they are on any diamond at any level. Of course that is only putting aside the greater injury risk for pitchers which probably negates most/all of that advantage, but one can still see the logic. But the problem remains that it's still not easy to leverage excess MiLB pitching into MLB hitting, so if you can't draft hitters, you are still up the creek  - like the Tigers.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Bless You Boys on Meadows/Vilade

Good summary on the Meadows demotion.

Well, it seems the Tigers do have troubles with lefties.  But, it seems they also have troubles with righties, too.

image.png.f1f3a7036d667f4c91bce2d990ec0d21.png

I suppose a lefty hitter down and righty hitter up creates a bit more lefty/righty balance on the roster in terms of numbers of hitters.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

But harder to get to even 200 if you can't get the ball in play in 40% of your AB!

Let's say he had 100 PA and 40 K.  We'll give him 10 BB and 3 HR.  So that's 90 at bats, 18 hits (15 are not homers).  That's 47 balls in play and a .319 BABIP which is very doable.  It's also a .280 OBP which might not be tolerable on a contending team even with his defense.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Let's say he had 100 PA and 40 K.  We'll give him 10 BB and 3 HR.  So that's 90 at bats, 18 hits (15 are not homers).  That's 47 balls in play and a .319 BABIP which is very doable.  It's also a .280 OBP which might not be tolerable on a contending team even with his defense.  

10 walks is optimistic for a guy with a 40% k rate, but sure, it just about doable, but sadly Parker’s other problem is a very high pop-up rate, which depresses his BaBIP!

I’d picked Parker as the most likely  demotion just because he needs a mechanical adjustment to get the ball down and that’s a good MiLB project. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

10 walks is optimistic for a guy with a 40% k rate, but sure, it just about doable, but sadly Parker’s other problem is a very high pop-up rate, which is killing his BaBIP!

I was thinking 10% walk rate which is around what you'd expect for him.  I don't think there is a big correlation between strikeout rate and walk rate.  It's not uncommon for hitters to have high strikeout and also high walk rates.  They don't put the ball in play, so they see a lot of pitches and a pitcher without control might walk them.  

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I was thinking 10% walk rate which is around what you'd expect for him.  I don't think there is a big correlation between strikeout rate and walk rate.  It's not uncommon for hitters to have high strikeout and also high walk rates.  They don't put the ball in play, so they see a lot of pitches and a pitcher without control might walk them.  

You are right - Parker is above average walk rate for the TIgers (they were 8.3% as a team last season) - he's keep around 12% even so far this season - but it is his BaBIP that's killing him - 132 for the season so far! Last season his FB rate was 42%, it's a whopping 75% so far this year and it's coming at the expense of his LD%, which is terrible (2.5%). 

To me this is exactly the kind of situation where you hope a guy can step back and reconstruct himself a little at AAA, whereas in contrast I think Tork's problems are all between his ears. Maybe facing easier pitchers would help him, but I don't think it improves the odds of him straightening out the way it could with Parker who may need more room to fail with a swing adjustment.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Meadows fields and runs the bases so well, if he can be an average hitter, he will be very valuable for the Tigers.

another point about Parker's swing vs his K's. He is so under the ball right now that if can make the adjustment to get closer to center, he is also going to end up cutting down on his absolute swing and miss, so while I wouldn't say I'm optimistic he eventually comes back as a MLB hitter, I can at least see a path for him to make the changes to get there.