THE MICHIGAN PANTHERS ARE BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motor City Sonics

The original USFL was a fine product.  I enjoyed it immensely.  The NFL's attempts with the NFL Europe and what not struggled because it wasn't a modified college football product but more NFL rules.

If offense is wide open and strategy matters and some high skill players come out of it, people will watch. 

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

There's been many attempts to create another football league the past few decades and they all seem to fail so I'm skeptical this will be any different.  

We do fondly remember the USFL because we won it the first year, but after only one more season they merged into the Oakland Invaders.  

I listened to a book about the USFL "Football For A Buck".   It was when my dog was younger and we could go for long walks.   Very interesting stories and some of the franchises did really well.   Tampa Bay, Denver, Birmingham were making money but the rest of the league couldn't get any footing.   Some teams moved each of the 3 years.  The Breakers were in Boston, Orlando and New Orleans.   The Pittsburgh Maulers were a disaster.

The difference with the USFL compared to other leagues is that the USFL went after guys the NFL were going after, big name stars and landed some of them.    Some people forget Steve Young was with the LA Express before the NFL and Jim Kelly played for the Houston Gamblers.    I think they might have held on for a 4th or 5th season if Trump hadn't destroyed it with his ego.   

I don't think they are going to go after the star players the NFL wants.  They can't afford those contracts now.   Back in the 80s they almost could. 

Best thing to hope for is that it's almost like a minor league system (Almost), but it doesn't sound like the NFL wants to work with them at all.   Already complaining about the name Panthers.   The USFL had it first.   

I don't think it survives beyond 2 seasons, but I do think they are going to try it that second season in the home cities.   I am pretty sure it's going to be at Wayne State.  Parking issues can be resolved.  

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't think it survives beyond 2 seasons, but I do think they are going to try it that second season in the home cities.   I am pretty sure it's going to be at Wayne State.  Parking issues can be resolved.  

I don’t see them ever setting foot in Michigan.   This league will go like all the rest.  Great buzz to start and solid week 1 ratings followed by a weekly swan dive in viewers.   If they decide to stay for a year two, it’s only as low budget TV programming and not because it’s grown popular enough to draw tens of thousands of fans in home stadiums.  It would be a massive addition to production overhead to set up operations in individual home cities.   

26 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t see them ever setting foot in Michigan.   This league will go like all the rest.  Great buzz to start and solid week 1 ratings followed by a weekly swan dive in viewers.   If they decide to stay for a year two, it’s only as low budget TV programming and not because it’s grown popular enough to draw tens of thousands of fans in home stadiums.  It would be a massive addition to production overhead to set up operations in individual home cities.   

You need to consider a couple of variables.   #1,  I think they are not going to shoot for more than 10,000 seat venues, are they? 

They are launching in a spring where there is a very good chance there will be no baseball.    

• 1 month later...

So I'm in the middle of reading a biography of Dutch Clark, and of course one of the interesting things about football back then was that players were two-way players... you had to play both defense and offense.

It made me wonder: Would you more more interested in a football league if players had to be play both offense and defense?  Obviously there would need to be some thoughts on the rules for how to handle this, but I'm just curious what people's thoughts are.  Back when the Arena League was a much bigger thing I remember they had this and I thought it was an interesting twist.

On 11/24/2021 at 1:44 PM, romad1 said:

The original USFL was a fine product.  I enjoyed it immensely.  The NFL's attempts with the NFL Europe and what not struggled because it wasn't a modified college football product but more NFL rules.

If offense is wide open and strategy matters and some high skill players come out of it, people will watch. 

We all remember who killed the original USFL too.

There is a book called Football For A Buck.  Back when my dog was a few years younger and could go on long walks, I listened to the audio version.    You have to get over the early part where its clear the narrator was not a sports person when he describes team records of  3 to 1 instead of 3 and 1, but that gets corrected later in the book  (couldn't have him edit in the right way?).     Entertaining listen, a very detailed account of the many personalities and hucksters involved in the might USFL.    

https://www.amazon.com/Football-for-Buck-Jeff-Pearlman-audiobook/dp/B07GBCFTFC

What (sort of) worked for the USFL was the fact that they took star players out of college and paid them big money.   No other secondary league has been able to do that and the new USFL won't be able to do that.   The only way a subleague really works is if it's a minor league for the NFL and the NFL is allowed to put a certain number of guys in the league to get them live game experience.    The only thing these guys are playing for is maybe they catch some NFL team GM's eye.      The only possible saving grace for it is that there is no travel expense involved.   So they'll have 8 teams,  4 games a week.  I am guessing that means 2 days of doubleheaders in the same stadium.  Are they going to give live fans 2 games for 1 ticket or are they doing the day/night doubleheader format?     I don't think they'll make it through the whole first season.    I am getting a new Michigan Panthers t-shirt though.     

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What (sort of) worked for the USFL was the fact that they took star players out of college and paid them big money.   No other secondary league has been able to do that and the new USFL won't be able to do that.   The only way a subleague really works is if it's a minor league for the NFL and the NFL is allowed to put a certain number of guys in the league to get them live game experience.    The only thing these guys are playing for is maybe they catch some NFL team GM's eye.      The only possible saving grace for it is that there is no travel expense involved.   So they'll have 8 teams,  4 games a week.  I am guessing that means 2 days of doubleheaders in the same stadium.  Are they going to give live fans 2 games for 1 ticket or are they doing the day/night doubleheader format?     I don't think they'll make it through the whole first season.    I am getting a new Michigan Panthers t-shirt though.     

While I agree that a NFL "minor league" could work, honestly the NFL doesn't need it.  Colleges provide an excellent avenue for teams to be able to watch players develop without any of the risks of paying a big contract for a guy who ends up a bust after a few years in the minors or has a career ending injury.

I supposed one possibility is for NFL teams to put in long shot type players and have the team pay their salary.  Maybe even expand the draft for another round, expand the practice squad and allow NFL teams to put as many practice squad players as they want into the USFL.  NFL teams would need to pay these players the USFL salary on top of the NFL practice squad pay, but any player who played in the USFL gets protection for the up coming year... sort of a "restricted" practice squad where a team can choose to reject another teams attempt to sign a practice squad player, but then must double that players salary for the remainder of the season.

The other options is to target the guys who are first or second year college players who want to make money now rather than wait until they are eligible for the NFL.  But how many good players are they going to be able to find who fit in this category? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It would be a grading system of sorts....like if you are projected to go in the 4th or 5th round in the NFL...is that going to make you more than a first rounder in the USFL?  Will you get more playing time in the USFL?  Will that give you a chance to showcase your talent and maybe make the jump to the NFL better than actually being on the team, but never playing?

So if the NFL draft is first and you are sitting there and drop to the 4th or 5th round before being sleected...do you decline that selection and go in the first round of the USFL?  Maybe the money is still less, but you are pretty much guaranteed to play every game...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

It would be a grading system of sorts....like if you are projected to go in the 4th or 5th round in the NFL...is that going to make you more than a first rounder in the USFL?  Will you get more playing time in the USFL?  Will that give you a chance to showcase your talent and maybe make the jump to the NFL better than actually being on the team, but never playing?

So if the NFL draft is first and you are sitting there and drop to the 4th or 5th round before being sleected...do you decline that selection and go in the first round of the USFL?  Maybe the money is still less, but you are pretty much guaranteed to play every game...

I tend to think that most players who are 2nd or 3rd stringers in the NFL but are diamonds in the rough will rise to the top eventually.  Obviously not everyone will, but suspect the majority will rise up.  Given the minimum NFL salary of more than $600K, it would be a substantial risk to bet on yourself and accept a (probably around) $50K-$100K to play in the USFL and hope that you shine bright enough to earn a bigger paycheck before getting a career ending injury.

I could see some players doing it though... but I'd guess more 6th round or 7th round guys.

Football is just a weird animal because of the violent nature of the game.  It's what makes a minor league where the NFL is paying salaries so unattractive for them.  I guess that's why I'm trying to find some convoluted (probably completely idiotic) way to incentivize a minor league for NFL teams.

• 3 weeks later...