THE MICHIGAN PANTHERS ARE BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motor City Sonics

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

A former NFL coach who coached in a Super Bowl even if it is Jeff Fisher seems like a good get for a league that will probably only last 1 year. 

The USFL actually has a few notable name coaches. they have Mike Riley, Kevin Sumlin, and Todd Haley. Because this is Detroit though, we hired the guy who is guaranteed to take us to 7-9/8-8.

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The xfl twice, UFL, NFL Europe, Alliance of American Football, Arena Football(that did atleast have some success at times) and possibly others I'm forgetting about. 

I have never heard of the UFL or Alliance football...I also thought the arena league was not really taking the NFL on, but trying a different approach.

Also the Euro league, TBF, was the NFL trying to expand not another league trying to compete.

I recall the XFL's first foray into taking the NFL on...that was a failure for sure.  This last time was pour timing.  I think there is a market there for competition...if there was not they would not be trying.

Honestly I think if either the XFL or the USFL were not trying at the same time one of them could grab the audience.  My money is on the USFL though because it has SOME history, tickets are 10.00, it will be televised and kids are free.  XFL is just WWE trying to merge with football, which you would think would work, but they are too campy IMO.

If it makes it more than 3 years (it will go AT LEAST 2 IMO) I think they have a chance.

Football is too big in the United States to only have one professional league, both the USFL and the XFL understand that, but do they have enough capital to fade 2-3 years of negative returns before it can get an audience?

18 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I really hope the USFL sticks this time.  Maybe in 20-30 years it can be a real superbowl between the USFL and the NFL.  I cannot recall the last time I bought an NFL jersey or sweatshirt etc.  I am going to get a Panther sweatshirt for sure.

I don't think there is anyway that the USFL will ever be as big as the NFL.  I think the NFL of today is just way too big of a juggernaut.  I don't think the USFL will be able to come close to paying the players what the NFL can and so any decent talent will go to the NFL.

Now obviously 20 years is a long time and things may shift during that time but I'd be shocked if it happened.

41 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't think there is anyway that the USFL will ever be as big as the NFL.  I think the NFL of today is just way too big of a juggernaut.  I don't think the USFL will be able to come close to paying the players what the NFL can and so any decent talent will go to the NFL.

Now obviously 20 years is a long time and things may shift during that time but I'd be shocked if it happened.

Maybe not as big, but I think the market can EASILY bear 2 leagues.  It is all about the capital and how long the owners want to lose money before turning a profit.  If they can bear it out for 3-4 years I think it will only grow from there.

Are they using the same rules as the NFL?  Anything different?  I have not read that part yet.

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

BTW the XFL which is now owned by Dwayne Johnson is set to start back up in 2023 as well according to him.  Apparently they are keeping the same cities as teams as the 2.0 version.  

I knew they were starting back up, but thought it was this year and had no idea McMahan sold it to the Rock.

Tin Foil hat conspiracy theory (because they generate so much discussion) XFL only got a couple weeks into the new season before covid, the NFL is charging 2.5 million per 30 SECONDS of airtime for the Championship games...not the SB, the Championship game...a lot of cheese to lose even small % of, NFL owners are greedy....

5 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I knew they were starting back up, but thought it was this year and had no idea McMahan sold it to the Rock.

Tin Foil hat conspiracy theory (because they generate so much discussion) XFL only got a couple weeks into the new season before covid, the NFL is charging 2.5 million per 30 SECONDS of airtime for the Championship games...not the SB, the Championship game...a lot of cheese to lose even small % of, NFL owners are greedy....

XFL 2.0 did get hurt big time by COVID, I will say that. It's hard to say if it had staying power but those first few weeks before COVID hit looked promising. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

XFL 2.0 did get hurt big time by COVID, I will say that. It's hard to say if it had staying power but those first few weeks before COVID hit looked promising. 

It did and I was a big believer in it in the first incarnation, but was a big WWF kid back then.  I am surprised McMahon gave it up.  Maybe he is trying to get a foot in the door on ownership of the NFL or something.

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

It did and I was a big believer in it in the first incarnation, but was a big WWF kid back then.  I am surprised McMahon gave it up.  Maybe he is trying to get a foot in the door on ownership of the NFL or something.

I'm not entirely sure why he sold it, I do know that he did always dream of owning an NFL team though. I'm a big wrestling fan myself and listen to alot of wrestling podcasts. One of the podcasts I listen to is from Vince's right hand man in the WWE for 30 years Bruce Prichard.

He tells the story that in the late 90s Vince tried buying the Vikings I believe but it didn't go through so according to Bruce, Vince said "F*ck it, if I can't buy an NFL team I'll just start my own football league", and that's how the first XFL was born. 

3 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I think the a problem with XFL 1.0 was that it was marketed to WWF fans, not football fans.  It was flashy, it was sexy, it was taking the NFL head on and boasting about it's victory before the fight even started.  It was going to get rid of all the things that football fans hated in the game and replace it with better!  

But I think they sorta forgot to actually check with football fans and see what they wanted.

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

I think the a problem with XFL 1.0 was that it was marketed to WWF fans, not football fans.  It was flashy, it was sexy, it was taking the NFL head on and boasting about it's victory before the fight even started.  It was going to get rid of all the things that football fans hated in the game and replace it with better!  

But I think they sorta forgot to actually check with football fans and see what they wanted.

I think the ideas were good.  I think NFL fans would have enjoyed it, but the quality of play was just so substandard.  He probably should have advertised more outside of the time slots when the WWF was on also.

• 4 weeks later...

NFL, XFL partnership. Focusing on rules and safety isues...

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/xfl-announces-collaboration-agreement-nfl

Looks like it could be a smart move, at least in principle

In a press release from the XFL, the partnership's plan is to provide "select innovation programs to further expand the game of football and create increased opportunities for player development both on and off the field."

"We are extremely pleased to collaborate with the NFL in these important areas,” Dany Garcia said, co-owner and chairwoman of the XFL. “We are bringing forward an XFL that is progressive and forward-thinking when it comes to innovation, leveraging the newest technology to enhance gameday experience.  

I think where the USFL is going horribly wrong is why are almost all of their teams in cities with an NFL team.  Birmingham is the only city without an NFL team.      It would be better off if you went into cities with NO team.  

Birmingham

St. Louis

Memphis

Orlando

Portland

San Diego or Salt Lake City

Oakland

San Antonio

18 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think where the USFL is going horribly wrong is why are almost all of their teams in cities with an NFL team.  Birmingham is the only city without an NFL team.      It would be better off if you went into cities with NO team.  

Birmingham
St. Louis
Memphis
Orlando
Portland
San Diego or Salt Lake City
Oakland
San Antonio

I dunno... I mean for this year of course it's mostly meaningless as they aren't playing in those locations.  But I guess the question is: It's better to "piggyback" off locations that already have a football fan base built or to go to a location where there isn't any risk of fan-conflict?

Looking at the original USFL:

Teams in NFL cities:
Boston/N.O. Breakers (83/84)
Chicago Blitz
Denver Gold
LA Express
Michigan Panthers
NJ Generals
Oakland Invaders* (While the Raiders were in LA at this time, the 49ers were in SF)
Philly Stars (83/84)
Tampa Bay Bandits
Washington Federals (83/84)
Houston Gamblers
Pittsburgh Maulers

Teams in non-NFL cities:
Arizona Wranglers/Outlaws (Cards move right after the USFL closed)
Birmingham Stallions
Portland Breakers (85)
Baltimore Stars (85)
Orlando Renegades (85)
Jacksonville Bulls
Memphis Showboats
Oklahoma Outlaws
San Antionio Gunslingers

So 6 teams were always in non-NFL cites, 9 teams were always in NFL cities, and 3 teams started in NFL cities and moved to non-NFL their last year.

I guess I'd lean on the side of trying to tap into an existing fan base.  As long as the USFL doesn't try to go up against the NFL there's probably not going to be much issue with a Steelers' fan feeling disloyal rooting for the Mualers or a Texans' fan cheering for the Gamblers.

Assuming it runs in the Spring you may also want to look out for cities that have NBA, NHL and MLB teams since they are running the same time and competition for the fans entertainment dollar could be tough. Of course almost any major city has atleast one of them but perhaps you'd be best to stay away from any that may have 2 or 3. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The NO Breakers picked up Patterson.  Not that I think all the issues the Panthers have were because of Patterson, but I do think Lynch played better when he was in there as QB.  I'm guessing that Lynch is the starter now... other QBs on the roster are Josh Love and Eric Barriere out of Eastern Washington.

And while I have the USFL thread open here... what's the deal with the times these games are being played??  This weeks Panther's game is on Saturday at 9:00pm.  Why?  The opponent is New Orleans so it's not like it's a west coast team.  Why start so stinkin' late at night?

Last week's game was really late too.  I actually watched part of it but didn't stay up until it ended. To be fair they had a 30 minute weather delay which pushed the game back even further, but why play soooo late?