Pistons to hire Trajan Langdon as POBO

Does Langdon have the ability and autonomy to fire and hire anyone he wants? He needs that level of autonomy in this organization. Troy Weaver should be fired. But so too should Arm Tellem, his bum son who is the Director of Pro Scouting Eric Tellem, and frankly the entire college scouting staff. He needs to have the same freedom and flexibility that Brad Holmes and Scott Harris have in their respective organizations.

This entire from office from college scouting to player development needs to be overhauled. The Pistons need more than just a change in GM and Head Coach. 

What has Trajan Langdon done to warrant this job?  His draft history looks horrendous and possibly worse than Weaver.    Don’t know about any trades or FA signings so hopefully you guys can enlighten me but I’m not real impressed at first glance.  

This is yet another guy that has been brought in that was either an ex Arn client, his son’s current client, or someone represented by his son’s firm.   This **** has to stop.  

Posted (edited)

Beyond the nepotism aspect, does anybody believe that he REALLY has full autonomy? I'm sure when Weaver and Monty are retained, we'll get fed this BS that these were Langdon's guys when in reality nobody in this fanbase is dumb enough to believe that these guys were the best candidates after some fictitious thorough search. I hope I'm wrong but Langdon feels like a puppet, a "window dressing" hire to make it seem like there's change when nothing really changes in reality.

Maybe I'm just jaded by this whole Gores regime but it's hard to have any faith in any decisions they make especially when they're hiring somebody with no real experience and who was a Tellem client.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

Just curious. But Monty had a crap roster, and 3/4 of the guys were injured for 3/4 of the season. We all praised the hiring 12 months ago, now most people have pitchforks out for him...... How in the world did everyone turn on him  so fast? 12 months ago he was best coach in league.

I think he had a bum roster. If they fire monty, they are dumber than a box of bricks. That'd be like Mahomes and Kelce getting hurt for the Cheifs and they go 7-9 and they want to fire Andy Reid....... Makes no sense. Give Monty another season and see what he can do with a legit NBA roster....... If they fire him, they literally cannot find anyone better......

5 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Just curious. But Monty had a crap roster, and 3/4 of the guys were injured for 3/4 of the season. We all praised the hiring 12 months ago, now most people have pitchforks out for him...... How in the world did everyone turn on him  so fast? 12 months ago he was best coach in league.

I think he had a bum roster. If they fire monty, they are dumber than a box of bricks. That'd be like Mahomes and Kelce getting hurt for the Cheifs and they go 7-9 and they want to fire Andy Reid....... Makes no sense. Give Monty another season and see what he can do with a legit NBA roster....... If they fire him, they literally cannot find anyone better......

because we saw how monty handled the roster and his lineup moves during the game.  they were very perplexing, to say the least.

yes, the roster was garbage, but monty's choices of who to play during games was downright malpractice.  they had to cut killian to get monty to stop playing him instead of ivey, for example.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYLion said:

Beyond the nepotism aspect, does anybody believe that he REALLY has full autonomy? I'm sure when Weaver and Monty are retained, we'll get fed this BS that these were Langdon's guys when in reality nobody in this fanbase is dumb enough to believe that these guys were the best candidates after some fictitious thorough search. I hope I'm wrong but Langdon feels like a puppet, a "window dressing" hire to make it seem like there's change when nothing really changes in reality.

Maybe I'm just jaded by this whole Gores regime but it's hard to have any faith in any decisions they make especially when they're hiring somebody with no real experience and who was a Tellem client.

I could see them dumping Weaver. I think he has two years left at $4m per. But I highly doubt they fire Monty unless he is willing to take a buyout.

8 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

He coached last season like a guy that didn’t really want the job but couldn’t say no after being offered a stupidly large contract by an owner that wouldn’t say no.  

10 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

This is just a silly comparison. Like really silly. 

Monty came in and played terrible players over rookies. He had terrible rotations and in game management. So what he was good last year, he was awful this year. We have no Mahomes or Kelce and anything we have close wasn't hurt. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Both things are true. It's a bad roster and Monty was a horrendous coach. It's not just the fans calling this out, it got plenty of national media attention from respected guys like Sam Vecenie, Brian Windhorst, and more. Towards the end of the year, even the beat writers, who are notoriously adverse to making waves, started calling him out. His in-game coaching lost this team at least a half dozen games, his roster management was abysmal, player development actually impeded guys, and he straight up lied to the media over and over again about his intentions. He coached like a guy trying to get fired and everyone, not just Piston fans, saw it and called it out.

imo, It's even more important to fire Monty than Weaver since Weaver now has a babysitter holding his puppet strings and making the final decisions. But if Monty is not fired, then I will have zero faith in Langdon from the start.

34 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

no reason to think Gores has made a good decision here; history clearly tells us that; until he shows otherwise, Langdon is a horrible hire

No reason to think that Gores even made a decision.  This move has Arn’s fingerprints all over it.

gores comes in and makes splashy headline making decisions.

1) hiring svg with no front office experience to be gm and coach; and 2) hiring a very reluctant monty williams for an obscene amount of money.

both decisions have the hallmark of someone who has no knowledge of how to run a successful basketball organization.

early on he let dumars run everything.  that failed.  weaver appeared to be an acceptable hire at the time but has been shown to have been a mistake.

the rumors were that tellum wanted collins to coach and weaver wanted ollie.  gores likely "broke the tie" by inserting his poor bball knowledge and looking for the shiniest, most expensive (and therefore the best) toy he could find, ergo monty.  and while monty has been a masterclass on poor coaching, its not like ollie set the world on fire.  if tellum really is running the show now, that's got to preferable to gores or weaver.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It's fun to joke about Tellem. But he was the Michael Jordan of agents. It would be hard to hire a former player from Langdon's era that wasn't represented by Tellem at some point.

This. We're talking about hundreds of athletes that he represented. You can't throw a stone in the NBA without finding someone he's connected to.

Most organizations would love to have a guy like that behind the scenes with all of the relationships he has around the league. Unfortunately, our franchise has been run into the ground so we're pointing fingers anywhere. It could be that Tellem is a problem, but then again most of the bad moves could be Gores pulling rank or Weaver doing his thing or a combination of all three.

We'll never really know.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It's fun to joke about Tellem. But he was the Michael Jordan of agents. It would be hard to hire a former player from Langdon's era that wasn't represented by Tellem at some point.

Why can't Gores step in and fire Tellem then and his bum son who is the Director of Pro Scouting Eric Tellem? Martha Ford fired Team President Tom Lewand at the same time that she fired the Lions GM. No reason Gores couldn't fire both Weaver and Tellem.

51 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Why can't Gores step in and fire Tellem then and his bum son who is the Director of Pro Scouting Eric Tellem? Martha Ford fired Team President Tom Lewand at the same time that she fired the Lions GM. No reason Gores couldn't fire both Weaver and Tellem.

What did Tellem do to deserve being fired? 

I consume a lot of pistons into and I don't have a clue what Tellem does. But every fan seems to think he has made a thousand mistakes and should be fired.

I would fire their college scouts way before their pro scouts. They haven't really made any free agent moves or big trades to judge their pro scouts. 

Sounds like Langdon will have full control of the basketball side of things. He will have to evaluate these guys and determine if they stay or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

What did Tellem do to deserve being fired? 

I consume a lot of pistons into and I don't have a clue what Tellem does. But every fan seems to think he has made a thousand mistakes and should be fired.

I would fire their college scouts way before their pro scouts. They haven't really made any free agent moves or big trades to judge their pro scouts. 

Sounds like Langdon will have full control of the basketball side of things. He will have to evaluate these guys and determine if they stay or not.

Since Tellem has been here the franchise has done nothing but lose. What has he done that's been positive? 

Was he not apart of the search committee to bring in Weaver? Just as Tom Lewand was apart of promoting Matt Millen's #2 in command Martin Mayhew to Lions GM. When Mayhew was fired so was Lewand for, in-part, having worked with Mayhew during his tenure with the Lions. If indeed Tellem was apart of bringing Weaver in then he needs to go along with Weaver.