Tigers Nearing Deal With Javier Baez

RatkoVarda

2 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

I think he was throwing mid 80's.

I'd eye ball it at about 86-91. Looking at the range plots, compared to '19 his average isn't down so much as as his 'best' fastball is. 2yr ago he was touching 94. His best FB this season were down 2-3mph from that.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/zack-greinke/1943/graphs?pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2019&end=2021&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

So what's the best we can hope for in regards to his strikeouts? 125 to 175? Hopefully, learning a new league won't be too much for him.

Javy's strikeouts?  He was slightly more than 1 per game during his quarter season with the Mets, so I am hoping for a continuation of that.  That helped to boost his walk rate, and his OBP to .371.  .371!  Imagine him with his power and speed, and an OBP of .371.   I know, small sample, but it happened after a change of scenery, perhaps some new advice, and perhaps a realization finally that his results so far, although good, might not be the best that his talent could deliver.  So it is the season for optimism, and I am hoping for 160 K's and an OBP of over .360.

10 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

So what's the best we can hope for in regards to his strikeouts? 125 to 175? Hopefully, learning a new league won't be too much for him.

Closer to 175 than 125.  I think .290/.330/.500 would be a reasonable optimistic outcome for him.  Getting that from a strong defensive shortstop would be outstanding.  Even if he is at his career averages though, he'd still be a huge upgrade.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Closer to 175 than 125.  I think .290/.330/.500 would be a reasonable optimistic outcome for him.  Getting that from a strong defensive shortstop would be outstanding.  Even if he is at his career averages though, he'd still be a huge upgrade.  

I agree. He'll save runs and also pitches for our young staff. That part is harder to measure but I see our team ERA shrink this season. I didn't like the signing at first because I remember some antics he's displayed in the past. But now I'm getting excited for some baseball.