Tigers Nearing Deal With Javier Baez

RatkoVarda

22 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Stavenhagen writes Tigers made offer to both Correa and Story

I wonder if they said "we are making offers to all 3 of you guys...first one to accept is the one that we go with".  And did they offer Correa 10 years?  More, because of Seager?  Those 5 guys will be linked together for the rest of their careers.  Every time Baez goes 2 for 27 we will be looking up the numbers for the other 4 guys.  Every time Seager goes on the DL, Ranger fans will do the same thing.

6 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I wonder if they said "we are making offers to all 3 of you guys...first one to accept is the one that we go with".  And did they offer Correa 10 years?  More, because of Seager?  Those 5 guys will be linked together for the rest of their careers.  Every time Baez goes 2 for 27 we will be looking up the numbers for the other 4 guys.  Every time Seager goes on the DL, Ranger fans will do the same thing.

If I had to guess (based in some part on Stavenhagen's comments on his podcast this week), the Tigers were probably competitive on AAV but didn't offer the 10 years that Correa wants.

I preferred Correa over others, but I get not wanting to be tied down for that long as well.

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It indicates that they are willing to spend.  

Which is all we wanted...

I mean, not "willing to spend spend spend"...

But willing to spend what it takes to build a competitive team that can make the playoffs.

Exactly what we all wanted and they are hitting cylinders on all heads this offseason. They're also spending smartly, which is what they said they would do.

I'm hugely pleased so far.

If anyone remembers... I called it big time in late April or early May when they were in their death throes to start the season and I said "guys, this team is going to get better and we're going to sign big FA's this offseason".

Not trying to toot my own horn but... pleased that exactly what we could have all max-hoped for, has pretty much come to pass.

Now we just need Greene & Tork to kick everyone's ass next year, and none of our young pitchers to regress in their 2nd or 3rd-ish years....

Law likes the signing. To sum it up he said as is its a great signing but it has the upside to be even better if Baez discovers any type of plate discipline like he showed with the Mets. Did say that considering where they are at in the win curve that they may have been better suited to sign the superior player in Correa.

Also Said they are good enough as is to catch the White Sox but need a couple breaks to go their way and need Tork on the opening day roster cause every win will count. 

Edited by RandyMarsh